Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get military to equip two weapons?  (Read 1977 times)

Crandal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get military to equip two weapons?
« on: September 20, 2015, 12:01:08 pm »

So I've been messing around with a civilization that has no shields, and I want to have the military equip more than one sword.  Unfortunately, I'm not entirely certain how to do that.  When I put in 'Iron Scimitars' in the uniform, they only pick up one, leaving their other hand open.  Any tips?

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get military to equip two weapons?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 04:51:43 pm »

If you have two separate entries for weapons in the uniform, the soldier should attempt to equip two weapons. Your uniform should look something like:

Metal Breastplate
Metal Helm
Metal Greaves
Metal Gloves
Metal Boots
Steel Scimitar
Steel Scimitar

It's worth pointing out that:

1. They may not put one weapon in each hand. Last time I did this, I got each dwarf to carry three battle axes in his right hand, while his left hand remained empty. Don't think too hard about what that would look like.
2. The combat utility of carrying multiple weapons is almost zero. Having multiple weapons doesn't increase the frequency of attacks.

You're probably better off buying shields off of traders and using them.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:25:15 am »

2. The combat utility of carrying multiple weapons is almost zero. Having multiple weapons doesn't increase the frequency of attacks.

What are the chances of them drawing a backup weapon if their primary gets stuck in the target?
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:40:05 am »

What are the chances of them drawing a backup weapon if their primary gets stuck in the target?
The chance is probably there, since the soldier has no other choice than to use the other one.
For more detailed information... try it out and tell us the results. :P

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:59:25 am »

Last time I did this, I got each dwarf to carry three battle axes in his right hand, while his left hand remained empty. Don't think too hard about what that would look like.
A battleaxe with four edges (two from the top of the hand, two from the bottom) plus a third axe sticking between the index and middle finges.
SEXTUPLAXE
Black lives matter.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 11:40:07 am »

Waaaait...  What?  You can have a civilization without shields?  Okay, but can't you always produce shields at the carpenter's shop?  Unless you have no metal and no wood, you can always produce shields.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 12:36:59 pm »

@jwoodward48df: Although I've never had any fortress that couldn't produce shields, various pieces of clothing may "randomly" not be available to your fortress. I've had High Boots unavailable, as well as Dressess, and probably a few others, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility. You might thus be unlucky enough to be shieldless, in which case you'd have to rely on goblinite ones (or trade with humins/tree huggers).

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 03:30:42 am »

Arent there still bucklers avaible when the shields are out?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 03:56:03 am »

Astrid's got a good point. If my guess is correct, bucklers should still be available. If both are missing the cause is probably something else.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 03:33:13 am »

hhm I've seen lots of civs with no high boots but none without shield

smells like a bug to me
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 11:32:38 am »

Clothing is unavailable for me all of the time. About 3/4ths of the time, robes are unavailable - which is annoying, since they're the most valuable clothing - and I've never seen a skirt. It does seem like you are guaranteed to have enough different types of clothing to fully clothe your dwarves, which is good.