Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To burn or not to burn...  (Read 942 times)

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To burn or not to burn...
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:07:00 am »

1st Granite, 1057

It is with a heavy heart that I scribe this entry.  Even as I write, the survivors are loading the remaining horses with what few goods we can scrounge -- and of course, plenty of drink for the weary days ahead.  We are too few in number, and the lookout tower reports a vile force of darkness approaching.  Again.

Id Gusilducim, metalsmith of legendary fame and appointed leader of our remote outpost, died this morning, leaving the reins of this hellhole in my trembling hands.  His was only the last in a series of pointless deaths.  Greed has led to our downfall.  I can only hope the King will look upon us with mercy when -- if -- we return.  The lads are willing to stay, and of course the nobles have yet to notice anything is amiss, but I look upon our meager forces and despair.  It is over.

I myself am unsure if I will survive to make it back to the capital.  The drink helps -- stout dwarven spirits will numb even the worst pain, aye! -- but my leg  is probably beyond hope.

In the name of Armok, why?!  Why do we rush to our deaths, witnessing one after the other of our fellows charge in to retrieve a fallen dwarfs gear, only to fall prey ourselves to that dancing, burning, primal beast of destruction?  I curse you, fire!  Your flickering beauty mesmerizes us, and we can't help but respond.  Even I, the appointed scribe of our outpost, fell under your evil sway!  When Id collapsed into a smoking heap, I thought nothing of abandoning my current task and charging forward to recover his well-crafted cheetah leather shoes.  Even though they singed the very beard from my face, I clutched them desperately to my chest as I staggered across the river.  And all around me my fellow dwarves did the same.  It was only when the fire went out that I returned to my senses and realized that the dead now outnumbered the living.  We now number six, out of an outpost of ninety-strong shortly before.

We are failed here.  I will leave this behind in the Great Hall.  Perhaps the King will wish to reclaim this outpost... but beware the flames!  They will bewitch you, and all will burn!

ALL WILL BURN!

----------------

Dwarves + Fire = Bad Things.

An excerpt from the last five minutes of my game log:

Oddom Mistemestil, Mason has bled to death.
Ushrir Bistokkadol, Miner has bled to death.
Limul Buketedem, Carpenter has bled to death.
'Pulter' Bersterus, Peasant has bled to death.
Id Izegrimtar, Carpenter has bled to death.
Id Gusilducim, Metalsmith has bled to death.

After fighting off two waves of sieges with one casualty each (stupid dwarves falling asleep while running for their lives, *grr*), via the use of my Magma Halls of DOOOOM!, I've now lost it all to the Burning.

My fault, I suppose.  I let down the drawbridge too early, and the dwarves charged forward like the greedy idiots they are.

Note to self: let EVERYTHING cool off before lowering the bridge.  Sigh.

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To burn or not to burn...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:26:00 am »

or disable hauling jobs from the "o" screen.

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:08:00 am »

Yeah, that works if you notice it in time.  I flipped the lever and moved on to other things... then started getting spammed with "So-and-so has bled to death" messages.

Doh.

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 08:05:00 am »

Just don't use magma defense till fire gets sorted out    :p

Or, set up a system so you can do magma then right after give everything a bath with a flood to put the fire out. Don't worry about permaflood, just activate the magma again to get rid of it - thanks to a bug, items not held by creatures are not burned up or lit on fire by magma so it will get rid of the water and not set anything on fire again.

Edit: steam will put fire out on dwarves I think - so set up lava and water meeting under a bridge or something so they get a steam bath if they get set on fire.

[ August 30, 2007: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!