Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampire Mystery  (Read 1573 times)

lisras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire Mystery
« on: September 14, 2015, 06:01:39 pm »

So, I found one of my guys without any blood. I read up about it and that means I have a vampire in my city. I also read that vampires will try to pass the crime/blame on someone else, but in my Justice tab I only see my city's mayor accusing one of my miners and that's it.... I have lots of people who saw the body, but have not accused anyone else....

Could my mayor be the vampire trying to blame someone else? Even though my miner has not accused any one else?

Would a vampire accuse someone first before any one accuses him/her?

Who did it, the miner or my mayor? (if you know)

Also, when I saw the message I scrolled down to see the miner carrying the dead body away.... So, I don't know if this is the miner finding the body and then bringing him to his grave and the mayor saw this or the miner really did kill him and was trying to hide the evidence or the mayor found out about the miner discovering the body and then the blame game started.... (But no message in Justice that the miner found the body like the rest.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Mystery
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:14:02 pm »

Vampires have hundreds of years to build up great social skills.
Mayor's are voted in because people like them.

While it's not certain of course, I'd lock the mayor in a room for a month or two and see if he dies of thirst.

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 08:44:12 pm »

Easy/cheaty way: use DF Therapist to see who's the leach.

Roleplay: go along with the mayor and sentence the miner. Give him a nice cell with a food stockpile and a well so he do not die of hungry/thirsty and see who's blamed next. This will, however, cost you many dwarven lives.

Dwarf way: Find the leach (good chance it is the mayor, as Shonai_Dweller said, but there's some ingame hints, mostly on the dwarves descriptions screen, that might give the bastard away) and either arrange him an awesome unfortunate accident or just lock him away in a nice room and feed him some useless noble peasant once in a while, and make your fortress virtually immortal.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:46:17 pm by BadLeo »
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 09:57:19 pm »

Yeah, check the descriptions of the miner and the mayor. The one who most looks like a vampire probably is.
Don't be fooled by 'Was horrified at seeing Urist McDinner die'.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 02:01:39 am »

I generally use the various hints as to who might be the vampire (although it's usually the mayor). When I've whittled down the list to the bottom I lock up all the suspects (in separate rooms) and wait for them to be hungry/thirsty/go to sleep. Those who display these symptoms are released.
The mayor (I mean, the vampire) is then killed off by an "accident".

Keeping vampire mayors is problematic since they need to meet people as part of their mayoral duties, and keeping non mayor vampires is also problematic since vampires are booze dependent but unable to drink it, so their movements continues to slow down. You CAN replace the mayor on the nobles screen (which I regularly do since I hate mandates for production of junk, in particular junk I don't even have the means to produce).

lisras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 06:47:59 am »

thanks for all the info guys, I did the tip when i put them both in a room for a little bit, and the miner did get hungry , so let him out, and went to dwarf therapist and the major had over 1000 kills..... So I guess it was the major after all.  One last thing is how do I pull up a description on a dwarf that im looking at?

Again thank you for the help!!

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 08:44:11 am »

IIRC, you can access it from the unit screen ['u], selecting the unit you want to view and pressing [v] and then [enter], or you can look [k] at the specific dwarf in the main screen and press [z] and [enter]. Something like that... IDK, I'm awful at memorizing the specific keys, I always recall them by their position on the screen.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:44:44 am by BadLeo »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:46:02 am »

'v'iew to examine a creature and then 'z'oom to it and then [enter] to to look at its thoughts (only dwarf thoughts, I think, otherwise just a description).
You can also get there from the 'u'nit screen - 'z'oom'-[enter]. Close to what BadLeo said.

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 11:45:20 am »

Close enough.  8)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 12:13:18 pm »

Probably close enough to find the path from there 8)

BTW: Looking at the kill count in DT is a bit of a cheat (and you'll find almost all of them are sentients). I do that when screening immigrants for militia suitability, but I always try to role play by confirming the vampire is a vampire using other cues (and part of the immigration screening is to try to identify potential vampires for close examination so I can detain them before they kill someone). Haven't had any vampires for a long time, though, because I can't find any parameter to reduce the vampire immigration threshold (as I play with fairly low pop fortresses).

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 12:54:50 pm »

Vampires tend to have great stats. Seal him in his own personal bunker to train non-stop.

He will start to slow down but if you have to use him to break a siege feed him a useless peasant.

Also, zombies won't attack him ((unless he attacks first)) and he won't attack them without being ordered to. Sense the zombies won't scare or Harras him he can stroll right up to the necromancer and kill him. In the case of evil biomes instead of necros, he can kill the zombies one by one.....if he can handle them.

He should be able to becasue of the big stat boost of being a blood sucker.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 03:55:50 pm »

Vampires tend to have great stats. Seal him in his own personal bunker to train non-stop.

He will start to slow down but if you have to use him to break a siege feed him a useless peasant.

Also, zombies won't attack him ((unless he attacks first)) and he won't attack them without being ordered to. Sense the zombies won't scare or Harras him he can stroll right up to the necromancer and kill him. In the case of evil biomes instead of necros, he can kill the zombies one by one.....if he can handle them.

He should be able to becasue of the big stat boost of being a blood sucker.

Yet another reason to not kill'em. I didn't knew about that, thanks.

Locking them away from the fort and feeding them once in a while is pretty simple. I just wish they would drink from goblins, humans or elves. Actually, I never tested that... If he's thirsty and there's an unconscious non-dwarf creature around, would the vamp suck it?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 04:14:57 pm »

Yes. Supposedly, vampires drain animals as well if those are asleep. The trick is to get these creatures to become unconscious so the vampire can get a chance to get at them, since they don't need to sleep unless they're part of your civilization (animals don't have to sleep then either, with the exception of Gremlins. I'd say Gorlaks will have to sleep as well in the upcoming DF version if they join).
Cave-in dust should probably do the trick to provide a vampire with warm blood (but you can't use the silly barrels of blood caravans carry for anything, as far as I know). A sleep inducing syndrome should work as well, but that's hard to come by and use in any reliable fashion.

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 07:21:09 pm »

Dang. I never realised they don't get asleep. I was plotting to keep an entire stock of goblins from sieges to feed the leach. Well, I suppose that's actually possible, it only takes a bit of work to get, for instance, a chained goblin to pass out from the cave-in thing made with a support, a floor above it and a lever. Will try that when I get a vampire in one of my forts...

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 01:37:46 pm »

How about knocking one out with a controlled cave-in, would that work?
Pages: [1] 2