Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to make flimsy creatures HALP PLZ  (Read 1277 times)

hauntedmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to make flimsy creatures HALP PLZ
« on: September 13, 2015, 07:13:06 pm »

Hello guys.

I was wondering if you could help me with modding my custom race a bit. They are not very different from dwarves apart from appearance and using the NOPAIN tag. However, I have some issues with balance and I'd like to get some help.

Is there a way to make my custom race a lot easier to kill than dwarves, goblins etc? Like, make their flesh thinner, be killed easier and such? I want to keep NOPAIN tag but I don't want them to be really tough in combat.
Essentially, I wish to nerf the tissue, bones and flesh of my guys, how do I do this?

Secondly, I have a few side questions I was hoping you could answer for me.

What does the tag BENIGN do?
What does the tag UNDEAD_CANDIDATE do?

Thanks to anyone who can help me. :D

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
Re: how to make flimsy creatures HALP PLZ
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:21:48 pm »

You could lower their TOUGHNESS, Disease resistance, and strength stats. All of which increase creature durability.
It should be in the dwarven creature raws somewhere.

Benign is a tag that makes animals not directly attempt to harm dwarves or other creatures. (They will if provoked, though.)
Example: cat
Undead Candidate is an older tag, I think. Which indicates that zombies can show up in ruins.  What version are you using?
Example: Human
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

hauntedmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 07:26:57 pm »

You could lower their TOUGHNESS, Disease resistance, and strength stats. All of which increase creature durability.

Benign is a tag that makes animals not directly attempt to harm dwarves or other creatures. (They will if provoked, though.)
Undead Candidate is an older tag, I think. Which indicates that zombies can show up in ruins.  What version are you using?

I am running 40.24 and yeah, I think I saw that in an older version but had always wondered what it meant. Okie, I'll have a look at those toughness things. Any other suggestions? Also, why do dwarves have Benign as a tag, is it so they won't instantly try and kill eachother straight away?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:28:58 pm by hauntedmoth »

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 07:31:41 pm »

I am running 40.24 and yeah, I think I saw that in an older version but had always wondered what it meant. Okie, I'll have a look at those toughness things. Any other suggestions? Also, why do dwarves have Benign as a tag, is it so they won't instantly try and kill eachother straight away?

Benign:    Determines whether creature can show up on "tame" maps (includes elephants), which will generally avoid dwarves, although they may chase and/or attack them if they get too close).
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 08:06:02 am »

make them smaller and reduce physical attributes like strength, endurance and toughness.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 01:22:25 pm »

I sometimes want to have creatures with tougher tissues, but I'm not sure how to do it.  Ideally something that would carry over to crafts made from the creatures parts, like say that armor made from the bones of a unicorn or the hide of a dragon would be as strong as metal armor.   Any advice on changing the tissue itself to be tougher or flimsier?
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:11:38 pm »

Depends on your style of "flimsy" and what you decide what that is
Everyone has mentioned the Physical Stats (0 Is insanely low, it might also just reset to default, 5000 is the max which if a creature had 5000 all through they'd be considered avg, among their own kind but stupidly strong/reliant compared to other creatures of the same size)

So can alter Physical stats, or you can say [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[MATERIAL:SKIN]
[Name:
[stats:
REMOVE_MATERIAL:BONE
etc until all desired materials have been boosted/nerfed to tough/flimsiness delight
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES] - this will then happily use your modified tissues that you chose to customize.

NOTE: like most programming keep in mind of order of events, if you want to caste out materials, you will have to use possibly use your own Body Detail Plans or make the other materials that are normal or stronger/even weaker and define some custom tissues to use the secondary materials. In the caste themselves is where you can start to Layer the tissues, which is CASTE level, where as Materials and Tissues are CREATURE level (which means where ever it is defined it will be accessible to the whole creature)
-The wiki has all the references to what tags can be embedded into a caste and work there only, and what ones that are global through the whole Creature/Race

Or you can do both to add insult to injury. At this point it's just a numbers game

Also BENIGN makes the creature act like most wild animals where they are skittish, however removal of exclusion of this tag will make them more aggressive (cats run away as they are benign, but dogs attack because they are not)

UNDEAD_CANDIDATE has been explained already, it basically says ruins and towers will use these for generated undead (or prefer to use)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:15:42 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

hauntedmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 08:41:54 pm »

That is some interesting things for sure.

On relative numbers, does anyone have an idea how -much- the numbers impact?

For instance, how much weaker is a 45k humanoid compared to a 60k one? And how strong would a 45k creature be who had 500 strength? Or is it kind of a bit abstract? DF ways and means are almost like a magic spellbook, trying to figure everything out. I like it.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 08:52:52 pm »

That is some interesting things for sure.

On relative numbers, does anyone have an idea how -much- the numbers impact?

For instance, how much weaker is a 45k humanoid compared to a 60k one? And how strong would a 45k creature be who had 500 strength? Or is it kind of a bit abstract? DF ways and means are almost like a magic spellbook, trying to figure everything out. I like it.

It's insanely abstract and nobody really has any numbers.  We do know that smaller creatures = more fragile. However. As a Hoary marmot never really gave anyone much trouble.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 07:51:16 am »

For instance, how much weaker is a 45k humanoid compared to a 60k one?

What these numbers are are essentially a creature's volume. Humans are like 70k, which means they're 70 liters of human and thus weigh a little over 70 kilograms, probably. Or less. It's a baseline, creatures can then vary in size due to being fatter or thinner or just because of size variations.

As such, a 45k humanoid is about the size of a 13 year old. You can approximate how strong that is through real life if you have a school nearby.

As for the strength numbers that go from 0 to 5000, I haven't an idea how do they work. I believe 1k is average, though? Probably shouldn't reduce that too far. You can always spawn your dudes in arena mode to see how they fare in combat - don't forget to give them equipment, though.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 10:59:42 am »

As Minnakht explained the SIZE is based on what VOLUME the creature will be, it's up to your imagination to determine if that is tall, short and extreme fat, or the right amount of height + width + depth.

There are also Size Modifiers HEIGHT, BROADNESS that slightly alter the SIZE mass (so SIZE:70000 is the base, but with a lower HEIGHT and BROADNESS they could be 68000 or maybe 75000)

But the Tissues they are made out of, which also is the material makes up their weight. Which totals their Mass so a Bronze Colossus that is shrunk to the size of 70,000 (human size) would be able to hit harder than a human of the same size, simply because it can throw more mass around (Bronze is heavier in that amount of volume than the same amount of skin,fat,muscle, and bone.) and this is not factoring in STRENGTH to the punches which just says they can toss that mass around with greater force.

So even a Creature that is 30,000 fights a 60,000 creature if Creature A (30,000) has an incredible STRENGTH and TOUGHNESS stats (5000) they could potentially be able to go toe-to-toe with Creature B (60,000) if it is avg, Creature A will most likely lose still just because of it's smaller stature, which means less mass, and lower amounts of tissue thickness (bones will break easier, less muscle to absorb impact) only way Creature A would stand a chance is if all the materials it's tissues are made of are altered to be as strong as Creature B's materials scaled down.

It then goes into a deeper level when you are using bodyparts as each part has a relative size which I'm not sure if they try to restrain themselves within the given SIZE volume (70,000) as upper bodies are a RELSIZE of 1000, and a thigh is 900
And that is just the body parts, like external limbs so the total of all RELSIZEs for a humanoid is 5450 (total of external parts) and this is excluding organs
And these parts grow or shrink depending on the Size of the creature they are apart of, as well as the tissue thicknesses
As tissue is calculated something like Ratio/avg math Putnam has the formula but it's roughly
Tissue Mass/volume/layer thickness = BP RELSIZE * (Tissue Thickness / (sum of all Tissue Thicknesses layering part))
I suck at math so don't take what I just posted for a formula to heart but it gets crazy complex working the numbers.