Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fully deleting items in DF2012/DF2014  (Read 7064 times)

elcr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fully deleting items in DF2012/DF2014
« on: September 09, 2015, 04:22:08 pm »

Some time ago, probably around the release of DF2010, I read somewhere that dumping into a 'Magma Flow' tile or crushing under a drawbridge are the only ways to fully delete an item. That is to say destroying an item by dumping it into a regular magma tile or igniting it with dragonfire would not speed the game up as much as using an atom smasher would.

Is that still true as of DF2012/DF2014? I can't remember any real testing being done on this issue. It would be nice to just chuck goblin corpses in any old magma tile without worrying about losing potential FPS in the future.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Fully deleting items in DF2012/DF2014
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:28:27 pm »

An easy way is to create a simple " atom smasher "

Create a small room, create a bridge that cover the whole floor of that small room (set the type of bridge to be raised) , make a door for that room, create a lever outside that room and link it to that bridge.

Pull the lever so the bridge is raised.

setup a garbage dump zone on the floor of the small room.
mark as dump every items you want to be deleted.

The dwarves will bring all those items to the garbage dump (or if you use dfhack, simply type autodump to have all items marked for dump to be teleported directly into the garbage dump zone).

Once they're done, make sure there's no dwarves inside the small room (and lock the door to be sure none will come in) , pull the lever.
the bridge will then fall down and will delete all the items that were under it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 07:11:45 pm »

That wasn't his question. He wants to know if other methods are as good for FPS.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:37:24 am »

I don't know for sure, but IMHO the thing has not changed. There hasn't been any fix in this direction,  or at least it hasn't been announced by toady.  I still use dear old stom-smasher to be sure!

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 07:22:46 am »

IIRC, autodump-delete on DFHack. Works as autodump, but instead of teleporting the items, will delete'em.
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 03:44:59 pm »

No, seriously, guys.  He's (she's?) asking whether burning an object away will have the same FPS effect as atom-smashing it, not asking for ways to increase FPS.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 04:24:27 pm »

I think it would depend on whether the normal magma reduces the item to some burnt/melted state (e.g., molten rocks or whatever results when you dump stone into magma) or flat-out destroys it. I think this varies by item, but I could be wrong. Molten rocks definitely stick around, so for that case, at least, the items are kept in memory, and FPS gain would be negligible.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 10:18:54 pm »

An item swallowed by a magma flow is gone from memory last time I checked.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 11:10:52 pm »

An item swallowed by a magma flow is gone from memory last time I checked.
OP said as much. He wanted to know about regular magma and dragonfire.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 01:15:46 am »

Sorry, meant to add "but that and atom smashers are the only way I know of besides dfhackery", though I'm still not sure where the autodump-destroy stuff goes.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 10:23:27 am »

Autodump-destroy is the same as atom-smashing an item or dropping it into a chasm or magma flow - it is deleted from memory and ceases to exist.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 10:41:47 am »

chasm

Ah, so chasms are another way? How about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
?

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 02:20:03 pm »

chasm

Ah, so chasms are another way? How about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
?

Nope. Chasms were a feature from early versions, if I'm correct. I dunno if both work the same way, though.
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 09:31:10 pm »

They may look different, but they behave exactly the same. Chasms still exist in the current version, though they only show up in Arena mode; it is possible, however, to create them in Fortress mode using DFHack.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.