Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is Adventure Mode so easy?  (Read 1005 times)

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why is Adventure Mode so easy?
« on: September 09, 2015, 11:50:18 am »

Hi,

Why is everything so easy in Adventure Mode?

As a peasant, I started with nothing. After 2 minutes of travelling I met an elf, and he had plenty bags with food. I took one with 96 pieces of kangoo meat. I went to a small castle north and met a lord. I took plenty of items from his room, some of them to wear and some some of them to sold to him for many gold coins. As a inexperienced player, with weak peasant, after 15 minutes of playing I have got a good armour, a good weapon, many gold coins and plenty of food.

Should I play longer? What is the shops idea, when you can have everything for free? Going to someone's room taking his staff and selling this staff back? No stress, need to go to dungeon, just grabbing staff, selling it - and be super wealthy lord.

The same with skills - poor archer?  Fire 50 bolts into wall and you are very good. No need to fight with enemies...

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Adventure Mode so easy?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:05:11 pm »

Yeah, currently Adventure mode is underdeveloped. Just go out and pick a fight - you will see it's not THAT easy.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 06:55:37 pm »

I was doing some testing on climbing and started near a human cave. Got ambushed and murdered by a single human archer after a few steps in fast travel. No greeting, no threats, no demands. Just an arrow in the knee. He wouldn't let me yield. No idea what his problem was.

It kind of depends on where you start and the state of your world.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:03:05 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:07:08 pm »

Yeah, currently Adventure mode is underdeveloped. Just go out and pick a fight - you will see it's not THAT easy.

All you guys talking about chopping nuts off while I can't kill without stealth axing.

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 02:43:21 am »

Bumber - I am not complaining about combat, but about free stuff. I would like to enjoy the game as a peasant, like in fortress mode, when a skunk was a problem to our unequipped fighters :)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 06:34:18 am »

I suppose if you want the challenge you could set a house rule not to do it. At some point we should see things like this improved. Scroll down to the "Adventurer Role: Thief" section of the development notes to get an idea what Toady plans are to improve this.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 10:19:24 am »

I suppose if you want the challenge you could set a house rule not to do it. At some point we should see things like this improved. Scroll down to the "Adventurer Role: Thief" section of the development notes to get an idea what Toady plans are to improve this.

Looks great! Can we support this development in any way?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 03:36:49 pm »

Donate, and if you have any ideas that haven't already been suggested post them on the suggestions sub-forum.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 07:29:03 pm »

Bumber - I am not complaining about combat, but about free stuff. I would like to enjoy the game as a peasant, like in fortress mode, when a skunk was a problem to our unequipped fighters :)

Property and ownership are not currently a working feature, so stealing is meaningless at the moment. Give it time.