Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Art of the Wall  (Read 1627 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Art of the Wall
« on: September 08, 2015, 08:23:53 am »

So trying something different (for me) in this go-round.  I am doing a "Skyrim-y" type city where the city is outside and then you have the "mine entrance" at the rear of the city.  So I found a nice embark point with a small canyon with 1+ z-levels above my main outdoor level.  It tapered back to the end of the canyon where I dug in for my mine.  I'm currently building walls to form the foundation of my "keep" that will take up the entire width of the canyon.  Also to note: I've cleared away all the ramps in the canyon, only leaving those at the entrance for the caravans...and hopefully the baddies.

Now for the question...I remember that walls have to be significantly higher than the 1 z-level they used to be.  Is it 3 levels now with a floor on top with a hatch cover?  Does this keep out the baddies, forcing them to venture to the front door? 

I also realize that in the areas that the surrounding cliffs are just 1 z level high, I will need to wall these off as well.  I am planning to do some ramparts off of the main keep that will stretch up to the higher cliff and then wall in up there as well (3 levels assuming that works). 

Just trying to confirm before I build a lot of stuff and then have a goblin horde slide down the cliff anyway and come in the back door.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: The Art of the Wall
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 08:44:42 am »

Non-climbable walls are as easy as putting a floor jutting out on the side you don't want them climbing from.
Code: [Select]
z+1  ___
z+0 __█__
Goblins don't get in, dwarves don't get out. It works because you can't grab onto the side of a floor tile.

Don't try to substitute the floors for walls or fortifications:
z+1  █_█
z+0 __█__
They'll climb diagonally upwards and over.

This, however, is a safe overhang:
z+1  ██_██
z+0 ___█___
Although the inner pair of walls might as well be the floors from the first picture. It's merely an example of what can't be climbed.

Safe fortifications:
z+2  __
z+1  ╬__
z+0 ___█__
Ceiling prevents archers from jumping off the wall and charging the enemy.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:57:40 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 02:45:04 pm »

I thought invaders couldn't climb smooth walls. And I thought walls build with blocks were smooth.  ???
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 02:46:14 pm »

Blocks built with blocks are hard but not impossible to climb. Smoothed natural walls are absolutely impossible.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 03:27:14 pm »

Non-climbable walls are as easy as putting a floor jutting out on the side you don't want them climbing from.
z+1  ___
z+0 __█__
Goblins don't get in, dwarves don't get out. It works because you can't grab onto the side of a floor tile.

Don't try to substitute the floors for walls or fortifications:
z+1  █_█
z+0 __█__
They'll climb diagonally upwards and over.

This, however, is a safe overhang:
z+1  ██_██
z+0 ___█___
Although the inner pair of walls might as well be the floors from the first picture. It's merely an example of what can't be climbed.

Safe fortifications:
z+2  __
z+1  ╬__
z+0 ___█__
Ceiling prevents archers from jumping off the wall and charging the enemy.

I swear, I'm putting this somewhere I'll never forget it.  This is a wonderfully simple, yet entirely necessary piece of information.  Now my marksdwarves - and fortresses - will live longer.

Although, question: how does the goblin in picture two get over?  And how does picture three prevent said motion, exactly?  I'm just curious as to how a goblin could squeeze through there, though I suppose that's one of the oddities of DF that players just get used to.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:29:45 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 03:56:41 pm »

The goblin climbs outward and up to be hanging on to the next layer of wall before climbing over. In the next picture the goblin can't do that because hanging underneath constructed floors isn't possible.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 10:12:39 pm »

Although, question: how does the goblin in picture two get over?  And how does picture three prevent said motion, exactly?  I'm just curious as to how a goblin could squeeze through there, though I suppose that's one of the oddities of DF that players just get used to.
z+1  █_█
z+0 _g█__
z+1 g█_█
z+0 __█__
     g
z+1  █_█
z+0 __█__
       g
z+1  █_█
z+0 __█__
(The goblin jumps across the top. Jumping takes priority over climbing down into the gap and back up again. The goblin will then climb down on the right side. I believe he would walk off the edge and fall if climbing down was not an option.)

z+1  ██_██
z+0 CBA█___
A - can grab the wall next to it but can't climb diagonally up because the wall above B is in the way. Tiles (except branches) can't be grabbed from below.
B - Can't initiate climbing.
C - Can't initiate climbing, even if the walls were tree branches.

One more thing. Enemies won't climb unless they can see a target, due to the expense of pathfinding. Any wall is safe as long as they can't see anyone on top or on the other side.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:19:09 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 10:55:34 pm »

<<*masterwork explanation engraved with orthogonal graphics*>>

You, sir, deserves a masterfully prepared kitten tallow roast accompanied of a goo'ol barrel of Sunshine.
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.