Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Let's say Mars is inhabited. What are the results?  (Read 7958 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Let's say Mars is inhabited. What are the results?
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2015, 09:12:48 am »

Humans use industrial farms, farms, hydroponic and aeroponic farms and have even farmed in space. The list of tools humans use is almost as vast as the list of tools humans use to create better tools. Humans invented the pistol, humans invented the rifle. All hail man Emperor of Mankind

Edit: food chain has always bugged me, especially saying we are on top.. thats basicly saying we dont get eaten. Its more circular/spherical/webbed we all get consumed. Its an old archaic science term. Like the world being flat
A saprotroph or parasite is not a predator upon humans.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2015, 09:43:45 am »

Ok you win 5 points to Loud Whispers.

But I bet you dont catch or kill your own food so does that make you or I truly on top.
Also what requires a species to get on top, ruling over the world? Eating a certain number of other species?
To me its too cut and dry. A jaguar would easily kill me even if I had a sword.
Enlighten me oh wise one.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2015, 10:31:29 am »

A deer might kill a wolf, but in general the wolf species preys on the deer species. And, on a food chain that goes up at least, wolves are higher then deer because of it. Same thing with jaguars and humans. Sure, a jaguar might kill a human, but all in all humans kill more jaguars then the other way around.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2015, 10:32:53 am »

Do humans eat the jaguar? I thought that one worked the other way around.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2015, 10:36:25 am »

But I bet you dont catch or kill your own food so does that make you or I truly on top.
There is no need when you can grow your own food or trade from another human who has reared and prepared your food! This thinking is akin to saying honeypot ants are not truly on top of all the myriad insects they devour simply because some of the food they eat is stored in a replete therefore a worker eating from them has not eaten something they caught or killed. I've chopped the heads off of fowl but have never seen a fowl try disembowel me for nutrition - more importantly, fowl are eaten as a whole (delicious whole) by humans putting them clearly one rung below us alongside everything else on the planet.

Also what requires a species to get on top, ruling over the world? Eating a certain number of other species?
To me its too cut and dry. A jaguar would easily kill me even if I had a sword.
Enlighten me oh wise one.
A Jaguar would kill you but there's no doubt in that in the niches jaguars and humans share, whether it was Aztecs or Spaniards the humans there utterly dominated; humans are not at the mercy of Jaguars.
And you would imagine ruling over the world would be a clear sign of superiority.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2015, 10:54:25 am »

Humans use industrial farms, farms, hydroponic and aeroponic farms and have even farmed in space. The list of tools humans use is almost as vast as the list of tools humans use to create better tools. Humans invented the pistol, humans invented the rifle. All hail man Emperor of Mankind

Edit: food chain has always bugged me, especially saying we are on top.. thats basicly saying we dont get eaten. Its more circular/spherical/webbed we all get consumed. Its an old archaic science term. Like the world being flat
A saprotroph or parasite is not a predator upon humans.

Allow me to interject some hateful, cosmic perspective.

We think intelligent life is so gosh darn important because we happen to be intelligent life.  We think tool using and technological advancement is so great because it's something we do.  Objectively there's nothing that makes these things somehow more important than anything else. There's nothing that makes being a thinking, introspective, inventive species any better than being a protein shell with a simple ring of DNA. In the end they're both just chunks of replicating carbon with greater or lesser degrees of arrogance about that fact. We think we're better because we're subject to our own delusions of grandeur.  So we're technologically advanced. So what?

Even if we advance to a technological point where we spread across the universe and colonize every planet in our galaxy, who cares? Bacteria can spread across a petri-dish and we don't give it some sort of cosmic significance. You're screaming your own praises into a void and measuring your worth via a scale you yourself invented.  Humans are the best because they are most human-like.

And I am the best human because I am the most like myself, and I created the scale!

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2015, 01:12:57 pm »

Eukaryotes are self-important upstarts.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2015, 01:18:16 pm »

Eukaryotes are self-important upstarts.
Segregating their DNA in protective membranes and shit.

Racists.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2015, 02:02:34 pm »

Importance is a human construction.  Humans have constructed importance to mean things that humans do sometimes.  Therefore humans who do those things are important.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2015, 02:10:39 pm »

Well mostly we say things are special and important as a result when they don't happen very much. Life is more important than non-life because there's more of the latter than the former. Tool-use is noteworthy because more animals than not can't do it. And so on.
And yes important can be assumed to mean "important to humans" most of the time. It's humans saying it. Duh.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2015, 02:14:57 pm »

We think intelligent life is so gosh darn important because we happen to be intelligent life.  We think tool using and technological advancement is so great because it's something we do.  Objectively there's nothing that makes these things somehow more important than anything else. There's nothing that makes being a thinking, introspective, inventive species any better than being a protein shell with a simple ring of DNA. In the end they're both just chunks of replicating carbon with greater or lesser degrees of arrogance about that fact. We think we're better because we're subject to our own delusions of grandeur.  So we're technologically advanced. So what?
"So what?" We're proteins that realized what we are, and yearned for more. More information, more proteins, more land - more frontiers. When you place an amoeba under a lamp and let it shrivel up and die it has no awareness of its own futile existence beyond instinct whereas sapient proteins? They're all fuck that, let's get out of dodge. Let's do more. We are akin to conscious flagellates laughing at the directionless slimes. You can get all philosophically nihilist and say, so what? How are the Pyramids of Giza any more impressive than a deer licking its own balls? How is a Michelangelo any better than the green husk of a dried algae pond? How are a bunch of city building, bread making and plant brewing humans better than a botulinum vomiting bacteria hiding in a curry?
These things are only "objectively equal" in the sense that objectively all things must end and there is no reason for the Universe to exist. For as long as we exist? Such musings are utterly useless in a discussion, because a fly having sex on dog shit will never surmount to anything more than maggots in offal, whilst humans try to leave their mark on the world and worlds beyond - we shall be the most successful proteins or die trying.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2015, 02:22:05 pm »

How are the Pyramids of Giza any more impressive than a deer licking its own balls?

How is Red anymore Red then Blue is Red?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2015, 02:49:53 pm »

I recently read an "amazing" book by a "philosopher" arguing that any "human" world view -- especially one based on the scientific method -- is inherently flawed because we don't "know" what it really "feels like" to "be" a rock, a piece of coral, or a cement block.

Rejecting anthropocentrism is commendable up to a point, but taking it too far will leave you spouting ludicrous gibberish.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2015, 03:22:25 pm »

"So what?" We're proteins that realized what we are, and yearned for more. More information, more proteins, more land - more frontiers. When you place an amoeba under a lamp and let it shrivel up and die it has no awareness of its own futile existence beyond instinct whereas sapient proteins? They're all fuck that, let's get out of dodge. Let's do more. We are akin to conscious flagellates laughing at the directionless slimes. You can get all philosophically nihilist and say, so what? How are the Pyramids of Giza any more impressive than a deer licking its own balls? How is a Michelangelo any better than the green husk of a dried algae pond? How are a bunch of city building, bread making and plant brewing humans better than a botulinum vomiting bacteria hiding in a curry?
These things are only "objectively equal" in the sense that objectively all things must end and there is no reason for the Universe to exist. For as long as we exist? Such musings are utterly useless in a discussion, because a fly having sex on dog shit will never surmount to anything more than maggots in offal, whilst humans try to leave their mark on the world and worlds beyond - we shall be the most successful proteins or die trying.
Again, you're defining "Success" as "What humans do".

Building big monuments is a show of success because it's something humans did.
Painting pretty pictures is success because it's what humans did.

I'm not trying to merely be Nihilistic, I'm trying to get you to understand that you're judging the worth and success of something based on a set of preconceived notions that inherently place you, yourself, as the most successful. Which isn't just shallow and self centered but completely masturbatory! It's the Rational that imperialists used to slaughter anyone who didn't conform to their particular ideas of what an "Advanced" society is.

I mean, you may dismiss Bacterium but they've created (Proportionally) bigger and more complex structures than anything humans have ever made. Not to mention the fact that they've been alive far longer than us, they evolve and reproduce far faster and far more effectively, and they have no need to paint pictures and build monuments out of some broken and run amok self preservation drive making them existentially fearful of death. They don't waste time doing things that don't increase their chance of survival and reproduction. We're wildly evolutionary less fit than them. And chances are our  species will die out, but that bacteria will survive.  Hell, if we make it to another planet, that bacteria will be there with us. It doesn't need to waste energy or time building spaceships. We do that for it. 
Claiming a life form is lesser than oneself is pure ignorance.
Objective facts

*Sigh* Let me explain this in the most asshole way possible. You are looking at yourself, saying "I am awesome" and then creating a list of ways you think you are awesome and comparing other things to that list.  Allow me to do the same, but from the perspective of an alien race with different values.

"Pyramids of Giza"

These humans spent 80 years piling stones atop one another to revere a corpse of a man who was thought to be great by the sheer luck of his birth. What a positively meaningless waste of time. If anything it's a monument to their own lack of logical thought.

"The Paintings of Michelangelo"

Look, they're spending years and huge amounts of money and time to create images of themselves. And they're now painting an image of themselves and claiming it created the universe! How positively Arrogant! And Stupid.

And now they're trying to spread and colonize everything around them incessantly rather then simply controlling their population! Have they no foresight? No sense of personal responsibility?

And look at that! Look at them take in solid matter and expel lumps of waste rather then photosynthesizing like any proper species.

They are an arrogant, time wasting, disgusting bunch of animals and I recommend we wipe them out because they are clearly lesser beings than us.

See! I have used nothing but objective facts to prove that humanity is, in fact, total shit!

Now would you like to be euthanized immediately or do you have some more solid waste to excrete before hand? I'm not sure how you lesser life forms work.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:50:08 pm by piecewise »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2015, 03:50:52 pm »

but what if the idea of arrogance is purely human and ayys don't have any idea what jerks we are
checkmate atheists
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8