Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bootstika layout  (Read 1074 times)

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bootstika layout
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:40:00 am »

I was trying to do something different with room layouts and made this. It fits together basically okay. It would have been real smooth but it was starting to give me motion sickness getting it planned out.

I call it the bootstika because it looks like boots... around a ... swastika... (not intentional, but handy anyway).

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bootstika layout
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

Make sure you send some military dwarves to watch the booze stockpiles for emerging political extremists or your fort would never hear the end of it.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

I'd be worried about the traffic/pathfinding to get through there.  You may want to increase the width of some of those hallways.  Otherwise your fps may drop.
igless

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

My room layouts look like this:
code:

#################################
#.#....#.#....#...#.#....#.#....#
#.####.#.####.#...#.####.#.####.#
#....#.#....#.#...#....#.#....#.#
####+#+####+#+#...####+#+####+#+#
#...............................#
#+#+####+#+####...#+#+####+#+####
#.#....#.#....#...#.#....#.#....#
#.####.#.####.#...#.####.#.####.#
#....#.#....#.#...#....#.#....#.#
###############...###############

I don't like the look of diagonal passageways, so I try to avoid them with my designs. This one gives six squares of space for each dwarf, which is plenty, and has a high branching factor to reduce traffic jams. Plus, it looks neat once you get the doors installed (before that, it does look a bit like a bunch of swastikas).

I had a dwarf whose home intersected a gold vein get a Royal Bedroom just because the walls were crudely engraved and he had a bed, coffer, cabinet, and door.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

What was his rent like?

I have seen rooms in fortresses of mine hit over $3000, and they were just engraved chalk walls with various furniture.

igless

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

I'm only partway through my third year, with 85 residents and about 1.3 million wealth; the tax collector hasn't shown up yet. I'm working on a passel of cheap bedrooms for when he does, though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

I put the zero rent on, because I'm the person who got that init option put into the game, so I might as well use it.