Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tasty local foods  (Read 1053 times)

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tasty local foods
« on: August 31, 2015, 02:11:45 pm »

The point of this thread is to exchange tasty local foods from our regions.

Explanation:
  • You may post dishes, intermediate goods, products... basically anything edible that is not a single raw plant, animal product etc.
  • Food should not be known world-wide. That means no Peanut butter, no Nutella, no Filet mignon, no Ramen and the like.
  • If it's a product or intermediate good, include instruction on best use. E.g. Nutella is best used on sweet bread, paired with warm milk.
  • Include your country and region, if relevant.
  • Try to include a google-searchable name. Local and English, if available. Links to Wikipedia, a recipe website or similar sources that will be online for the foreseeable future are even better.
You may be subjective. Food origins are unimportant. Lengthy recipes should go in spoiler tags. Discussions are welcomed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:18:54 pm by dorf »

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tasty local foods
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:15:07 pm »

Pumpkin seed oil.

In Slovenia we use pumpkin seed oil on all kinds of salads.
I'd say the best use is to put it on tomato salad (tomato, onion, salt, pumpkin seed oil). For best results get fresh tomatoes from the farmer's market.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:18:33 pm by dorf »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:41:55 pm »

Vancouver

I think all we have here is the Japadog, but I think its spread to some other places.  I've never actually had one though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The California roll was also made in Vancouver, but I think its pretty well known everywhere now.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:44:11 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 05:12:06 pm »

Levi, what, no poutine? Or is that not in Vancouver? I know it's Canadian, though...

Poutine is more of Quebec thing I think.  We have it and I've tried it, but I don't really like it much.    :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 05:13:14 pm »

I did not know that California roll is the kind where the rice is the one on the outside.

I wish I could point some out where I live but there isn't much I know what I could consider something that can only be found "here". Or maybe I just don't go out to out of the way places more often.

All I could think about that qualifies is the goddamn Jollibee in Virginia Beach. All the times we went there its always full of Filipinos from another state. Goddammit open another store near DC dammit!

Edit. I know big brands is a no go but dammit I want one near where I live.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 05:27:42 pm »

Ohio has the Buckeye Candy which is, objectively speaking, the best confection in the known universe.

Basically a core of peanut butter, dipped in melted chocolate and set to cool. Sometimes with additional stuffs inside the peanut butter, but that might just be my family. They're a regional thing as near as I can tell, named for their similarity to the equally glorious (but not nearly as edible) buckeye nut.

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:48:15 pm »

I think all we have here is the Japadog, but I think its spread to some other places.

I've never actually had one though.

So, I'm not the only one who first assumed that this is something Japa invented, right? >_>

We have barbecue. Game over, y'all.
I'm partial to Eastern-style myself.

Also, we have Cheerwine, which beats the crap out of Cherry Coke.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 06:16:56 pm »

In Kentucky, we have bourbon. It is cheap and it is everywhere - no liquor store here is complete without at least a small aisle of bourbon.

We also cook with it! Derby pie is a pie mainly made of chocolate, pecans, and bourbon. Bourbon balls are a dessert, a mix of powdered sugar and bourbon coated in chocolate. The Wikipedia article claims another version is more common but nobody I know has ever heard of those and they don't sound very good.

We also have barbecue, but I do not hail from part of the state that is passionate about it. And that's a shame.

(also I definitely thought Japa had something to do with japadogs at first)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 06:27:20 pm »

In Kentucky, we have bourbon. It is cheap and it is everywhere - no liquor store here is complete without at least a small aisle of bourbon.

Holy carp, I was just thinking about how great it would be to have a bottle of bourbon right now when I clicked the 'new posts' button.
Am I psychic? Are you psychic? Is Bay12 now a hivemind? Or do I just spend too many of my making hours thinking about bourbon?

Who knows. In other news my contribution to this thread will be a chimichanga, since I'm on holiday and that's a thing people eat in these here parts. It's a deep-fried enchilada/burrito covered in cheese and sour cream, basically. Did I mention it's freaking huge? Terrifying stuff, but I managed to defeat one in single combat.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 06:36:48 pm »

Ohio has the Buckeye Candy which is, objectively speaking, the best confection in the known universe.

Basically a core of peanut butter, dipped in melted chocolate and set to cool. Sometimes with additional stuffs inside the peanut butter, but that might just be my family. They're a regional thing as near as I can tell, named for their similarity to the equally glorious (but not nearly as edible) buckeye nut.

Okay, that looks absolutely wonderful. While I have peanut butter, the only chocolate I have is what was left over from the last time I made ice cream... and I've been snacking on that. And I won't be able to go shopping for another two weeks.

I think all we have here is the Japadog, but I think its spread to some other places.

So, I'm not the only one who first assumed that this is something Japa invented, right? >_>
Nope. Unfortunately, it hasn't spread to many other places. It should.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 08:01:41 pm »

Nope. Unfortunately, it hasn't spread to many other places. It should.
Occasionally we get a food truck with a similar thing on my university campus in California. They're okay, but I don't much care for the taste of nori (seaweed).

I very much prefer steak with chimichurri from another truck (Barcelona on the Go.) Chimichurri is mostly parsley, garlic, olive oil, and oregano.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:08:05 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 08:42:01 pm »

My mother has mentioned something like this, except she's from Vancouver. Sure that it isn't just one of the many things that kind of bled south from Canada?

Certain. All accounts indicate that they originated in Ohio in the late 20th century. The Midwestern US, at the very least. Ya dang Canuck. We have culture too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:45:10 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 04:07:41 am »

I very much prefer steak with chimichurri from another truck (Barcelona on the Go.) Chimichurri is mostly parsley, garlic, olive oil, and oregano.
Do you know of any good vegetarian dish with Chimichurri?
Hopefully, I can get my wife to make it :P

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 05:53:26 am »

From South Africa:

I'm partial to koeksisters, in both varieties depending on my mood. Both are deep-fried dough; one is soft on the inside, but with a crunchy shell and dipped in spiced syrup or honey, and the other is much like a small doughnut (in the original sense, so not a ring) with a little syrup and sprinkled with coconut. The first kind is popular pretty much everywhere; the second is rare outside Cape Town.

For the fans of hot stuff, there's the kota or bunny chow. It's basically anywhere from a quarter to a full loaf of bread, hollowed out and filled with curry. You can generally track this down anywhere there's an Indian community; mostly KwaZulu-Natal, but I think I've seen them in pretty much every province.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 02:28:26 pm »

Southeastern Pennsylvania has cheesesteaks, which consist of thinly sliced pieces of steak cooked on a griddle and placed in a long sandwich roll with cheese.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: [1] 2