Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Entity Rewrite] Better Social Organization  (Read 2314 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
[Entity Rewrite] Better Social Organization
« on: August 29, 2015, 04:58:47 pm »

The idea I'm going to be putting forward in this thread is rather complicated, so please bear with me. Essentially, at present there are 4 tiers of societal organization planned for DF; Entities, Groups, Subgroups and Families. I think that for Toady to achieve everything he's setting out to (as defined in Threetoe's stories), a lot more social groups are going to be needed to be tracked than just four. Splitting up these tiers of social organization will make the game feel more varied and compelling. It'd likely be better to start tracking these groups in a rudimentary form (even if their specific mechanics are unfinished) before we progress into the Army Arc and its convoluted leader-based diplomacy.

The new tiers of social organization I propose are below.

Tier 1: International Groups

The groups in T1 incorporate a lot of information that used to be part of entities. It's split apart so that the groups it defines can be treated differently based on whether their group is favored by whoever runs the sites they inhabit. Individuals always belong to 1 of each category of Tier 1 groups, and Tier 1 groups are created at the start of worldgen. Tier 1 groups are:

Cultures: Groups which share art forms, languages, appearance styles (i.e. clothing, tattoos, etc) and value preferences (more or less so depending on personality). Critters will move from one culture to another by marrying into it, allowing for the culture of an area to change over time. Necessary so foreigners are treated as foreigners rather than just strangers.

Religions: Groups which share objects of worship and value preferences (more or less so depending on personality). Can be linked together (i.e. different sects of the same religion). Will come with their own taboos and traditions eventually. Individuals will flip to another religion practiced in their site if the values it prefers are more aligned with their personal values that their current religion. Necessary so that religions can spread between societies and make things less homogeneous.

Ethnicity: Groups who share physical similarities. They're necessary so that the player can observe population movement in a meaningful way if the people who moved/were subsumed into another culture have all already assimilated.

Tier 2: States

The groups in Tier 2 incorporate the rest of the information that used to be part of entities and determines the formation of governments within the game (so that multiple governments with the same culture can exist if things get more randomized). They've also been split into various types to allow more varied societies to form, and altered so that new governments can emerge or be destroyed during play. Each of the following categories of state determines what kind of sites they have and what kind of relationship they'll have with subordinate or neighboring groups. All civilized criters are a member of one Tier 2 group of any type. Tier 2 groups are:

Territorial States: States that own land and build permanent sites within it. Have provinces, which are groupings of sites in proximity subordinated to a sub-capital, that can try to break away and become independent.

City States: Superficially similar to territorial states, but actually quite different. They are lead by one of their subordinate groups exclusively (the inhabitants of their capital city) and treat other population centers they control as tributary colonies - and these frequently try to become independent city-states of their own. They are more likely to try to exact tribute form fellow city states than they are to conquer them.

Nomadic States: States that own land but have no permanent inhabited sites (except maybe religious sites). Their population instead moves around in camps on a randomly defined circuit. Much like city states they're ruled by a single group, and if leadership would pass from a member of that group to a member of another (most likely because that group has been depopulated) each subordinate group becomes and independent group upon succession.

Tier 3: Institutions

The groups in Tier 3 define associations of individuals across various sites of a Tier 2 Group. It's purpose is to allow groups to control or be present in multiple sites at once while maintaining a single hierarchy, and so that smaller groups can work together. Examples that I've thought of for Tier 3 groups are as follows, though more can probably be added. Note that not all Tier 3 Groups necessarily need to be present for a Tier 2 group to continue to function (they should be enabled or disabled in a tier 2 raw file). Individuals can be a part of multiple Tier 3 groups, but not of the same type.

Kinship Groups: Groups defined by relationship among members. Necessary to allow for tribes/clans larger than immediate families to have an effect on politics.

Local Religious Hierarchy: A group defined by shared religion. Necessary for defining the relationship between temporal and spiritual authorities.

Local Business Organizations: Groups defined by shared profits among members. Necessary for trade cartels, business ventures that create sites (such as a bunch of carpenters in a dozen sites founding the creation of a lumber camp).

Local Criminal Organizations: Groups defined by shared criminal intent. Necessary so criminals can have warring subgroups or be spread across multiple sites.

Provinces: Only found in Territorial States. A single group subordinates other appropriate groups whose sites are in its immediate proximity. Necessary for multiple tiers of land-owning nobility and so that larger areas than a single site can revolt at once.

Tier 4: International Organizations

The groups in Ti4 are T3 Groups that are not contained to a single T2 Group to operate. They include;

International Religious Hierarchy: I'm still unclear as to how these should form during play, but these are religious groups that replace the T3 LRH while acting across multiple T2 groups. Necessary so you can have the Pope, missionaries and meddling foreign clergy.

International Business Organizations: Associations of merchants across multiple T2 groups. Necessary so you can have trade routes and giant trading companies. Can be subordinate to T2 groups.

Rebel Groups: Associations of exiles from a specific T2 group living in other T2 groups who want to overthrow their original government and either take control or hand it off to someone else. Needed so Bay of Pigs type scenarios can happen.

International Criminal Association: Groups of criminals. Needed so that there can be a sinister international guild of assassins and whatnot.

Tier 5: Local Communities

Essentially Groups as currently in the game, but they can be part of T3 groups.

Tier 6: Local Subgroups

Subgroups as currently planned by Toady, with the exception that they can be part of a T3 or T4 group in addition to a T5 group.

Tier 7: Families

Families as planned by Toady, except that they can interact with T3 and T4 groups.

Tier 8: Imperial States

T8 Groups are essentially T2 Groups that have subordinated other T2 groups. I'm unsure at the moment as to when they should be allowed to form, but they're necessary so you can have a society with Nomands and City States at the same time, or so that you can have entire nations rebel against an evil empire ate once.

Tier 9: Alliances

T9 Groups are T8 Groups, except they're relationships between equals. Necessary so you can have the Last Alliance between Olm Men and Dwarves fight a legendary battle against Mankind.

Thoughts? Are there any other categories of group to track to could enable more stuff? Am I full of bunk for suggesting Toady break his nice little 4-tiered system into a convoluted 9 tier, 20+ unique group type system mess even if it would enable more varied societies and stories?

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Entity Rewrite] Better Social Organization
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 02:06:45 pm »

I assume that the tiers would be like parent and child objects in objective programming, therefore they would have a master tier that encompasses all entities and branch out from there? Or am I mistaken?

If so, then a lot of these seem to be too unrelated and overlapping and in general out of place. Wouldn't A rebel group just be a group of politically different minded people? How is a international criminal organization separate from any other organization as say a massive religion. They are both "organizations" but they have different structures(and these structures should be fluid and procedural.) How would a culture be defined in the first place?

I once did a study on emergent social groups for AI. The idea was that rather than hard-scripting every single possibility(to hard code define that an organization is separate from a government or a state, which it "technically" is but historically has not always been, and is debatable even today)

The idea is this - When enough entities decide to coexist, they may choose to create a "group" or sorts. Then, entities withing groups may form smaller groups and so on. Each group has a goal and members of this group most "try" to achieve this goal. Groups are created out of direct necessity first. So the order of operations would look something like this:

• Entities are put into the world.
  • Dwarves are put near a mountain
  • Dwarves decide to make one large group with the goal being to survive and stay together. The laws of this group are that Dwarves help other Dwarves and may not hurt other Dwarves for no reason. Group has a hierarchy, thus Leader is assigned.
  • Dwarves within group 1 create mountainhome
  • Group 2 is created by Dwarves to govern mountainhome. Goals and Laws are set to something. Hierarchy is set.
  • Within group 2 many dwarves doing a particular job decide to cerate a group that fosters the learning of said job. Thus the fishcleaner group(guild) is crated. It is set to be only within group 2.
  • Goblin moves to group 2 and joins fishcleaner guild because he is a member of group 2.
  • A dwarf has a certain personality trait that makes him associate groups with groups of higher magnitude, thus he assumes group 2 is group 1, something doesnt compute and he sees goblin as not following the rules and is pissed at him. Vwala! Mathematical racism!

Or something along those lines. Basically, they should be more of a singular thing with lot's of checks to make sure to others what they are and what they should do. But yeah, either way the game could use a bit of organizing in that regard.

EDIT: This whole group thing may also apply to marriage and other such bonds if group creation was traditionalized. Thus you could gen some interesting cultures where interpersonal child-making groups are polygamous, hierarchical, non-standardized, or perhaps even all accounting to a group of larger magnitude (the patriarchy!! D: ) so yeah. I hope I didn't go on a tangent. I really shouldn't drink that much.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:12:10 pm by Enchiridion »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 06:28:56 pm »

I assume that the tiers would be like parent and child objects in objective programming, therefore they would have a master tier that encompasses all entities and branch out from there? Or am I mistaken?

I've got precisely 0 experience programming, so I can't really answer that question usefully.

The premise of my tiers idea (disregard tier 9, there's no reason for it not to be part of tier 8) was that there isn't really a strict hierarchy of groups IRL. Not all groups are strictly encompassed within another group, as the current system is (and as Toady's plan may be). In addition, the hierarchy between groups is more complicated than simply subordinating groups - the relationship between a territorial state (which is closest to the in-game civs) and its subordinate groups is substantially different than a city-state, let alone a tribal confederation bound together by kinship.

The idea behind the first tier is that if people so choose they can detach cultural data from in-game states.  This is largely because the game doesn't model citizens moving between states very well - at present, if you live in a state you adopt its culture completely except for racial predispositions towards certain personality traits.

The second tier is states, which is pretty self-explanatory.

The third tier is groups within the state that operate across multiple sites (either owning them or simply having a presence in them). I separated them from tier 4 (the local, site-wide group) because it allows for individuals with dual membership (potentially everyone in the fort) to choose between their duty to the local government (you) and their duty to an overarching institution (i.e. the church, a provincial government, etc).

Fourth tier is groups as they currently exist - site-based groups.

Fifth tier is subgroups within the fortress that don't exist in other sites. They're similar to tier 3 in what they do for the player, except they don't raise the possibility of the group disagreeing with the local group and the overarching state that group's part of. They may disagree with the local group, but they don't have a relationship with the overarching group. 

Sixth tier (forgive me, I'm going somewhat out of order) is groups that operate across multiple states, but are subordinate to these groups while operating within sites they control.

Seventh tier are your run of the mill families, as planned.

The last tier is similar to the 6th tier, but the state is subordinate to the group in this case. I threw this in for the sake of supranational organizations (which do in fact exist in fantasy) being able to coordinate states while allowing them to maintain their unique structures.

Does this clarify things or just raise more problems?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 03:06:47 am »

Part of me thinks maybe this topic should have waited until the next release so we know what parts apply and do not.

But to my knowledge what Dwarf Fortress is trying to do is make all these social connections... Equal so to speak, at least on an individual basis.

Besides even the largest world is tiny! About the size of New York. A faction rarely gets large enough to justify "states", not to mention that "states" aren't really a system used at this time period.

Usually it is fiefdoms and kingdoms... Provinces require something else to be in play to exist (For example world spanning alliances that puts everyone into "The same kingdom" or "empire" yet maintain their own systems)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:12:18 am by Neonivek »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 03:30:00 pm »

Besides even the largest world is tiny! About the size of New York. A faction rarely gets large enough to justify "states", not to mention that "states" aren't really a system used at this time period.

Technically, a "state" is defined as any group of people in which at least one person has the authority to settle disputes between equals- regardless of the actual form or size of the described government.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:39:48 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 03:44:03 pm »

And "Technically" it still doesn't match the scope.

Since a "Barony" is simply "the land which a baron owns"

And the Duke owns the land the baron owns

And the king owns the land the Duke owns.

Except they don't, except they do.

And even within nomadic culture there are multiple kinds. For example:
1) True Nomads: As in they continuously travel, perhaps staying in a place for a while before leaving
and
2) Migratory Nomads: Much more common where they travel from home to home to follow herds or for weather. They tend to actually set up homes along this path... so yes they have permanent sites.

and City States I don't have to mention the serious issue with its description...

---

Basically the thing with medieval government is that it is a horrible Gordian knot of alliances and ownership.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:48:34 pm by Neonivek »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 11:44:45 pm »

Worldgen frequently spits out goblin and elf sites with a population (albeit mostly abstracted) numbering in the tens of thousands. There have been states throughout history that have had less citizens. For a long time, the world was host to and order of magnitude more states than it is today, while hosting a fraction of the population. And, last but not least, you have to take Toady's dev goals into account. He wants worlds to be able to track even larger populations, and (at least in Threetoe's stories) have complex interstate diplomacy.

Also, states as we define them do exist in this time period. The earliest entities classified as states extend back to around 10,000 BC, and it's heavily debated whether or not evidence supports the existence of even earlier large-scale polities. You're thinking of modern nation states, which is a subcategory of territorial states, not states. If states didn't exist until 1400, there'd be no hierarchical society before 1400, which is patently false.
And even within nomadic culture there are multiple kinds. For example:
1) True Nomads: As in they continuously travel, perhaps staying in a place for a while before leaving
and
2) Migratory Nomads: Much more common where they travel from home to home to follow herds or for weather. They tend to actually set up homes along this path... so yes they have permanent sites.

This strikes me as a very arbitrary division. Whether or not the entity in question migrates along a circuit or not isn't a big enough difference to put them in different categories.

City States I don't have to mention the serious issue with its description

Care to elaborate? Because as it stands that criticism can't lead to anything if you don't provide any reasoning as to why something is wrong. I assure you, in anthropological circles, the differences between Territorial States and City States are considered to be pretty significant.

Also, trying to make everything a medieval equivalent isn't a great way of going about creating a world sim - medieval Europe was a small fraction of the world and by no means typical of its time period in terms of governance. The trick isn't to accurately model Europe - it's to form a system that can model Europe if it needs to.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 08:25:11 am »

I am speaking of states as "Provinces" which is a subset of territory yes.

If you mean state as in "a place that exists that is owned" then yeah...

This strikes me as a very arbitrary division. Whether or not the entity in question migrates along a circuit or not isn't a big enough difference to put them in different categories

It is kind of the entire difference between them. As True Nomads "Have no home" so to speak. It is wherever they are. They do not "own" previous homesteads like ordinary nomads.

It is often the difference between Neolithic societies versus say the Mongols.

Which spreads even further into what sort of tools and abilities a true nomadic culture might have versus most Nomads. A True Nomadic society generally carries with them only the absolutely bare necessities for survival.

In otherwords "The fact that they both travel" is the arbitrary similarity. The fact that one goes along a circuit and makes seasonal homesteads and the other doesn't is the important difference that has long lasting implications.

As well Ordinary Nomads typically own ALL the land they travel upon (or at least that is their territory).

Care to elaborate? Because as it stands that criticism can't lead to anything if you don't provide any reasoning as to why something is wrong. I assure you, in anthropological circles, the differences between Territorial States and City States are considered to be pretty significant

Mostly because the ruling body of a city state is... The same as any state in this time period. The Prince, The Bishop, the Cardinal, The Duke, The King.

Self rule wasn't universal of city states and were often 'in addition to'. Usually that came to pass due to the entanglement of treaties making all form of outside influence useless (as was with England)
---

I guess is to say... This better social organization is a extreme simplification.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:30:37 am by Neonivek »

Tlukle

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't you think my name is odd?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 09:46:56 pm »

I think that is an excellent idea.
Alone on a hill I sat and thought oh what ever today might become not.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 07:15:36 am »

Tier 1: International Groups

The groups in T1 incorporate a lot of information that used to be part of entities. It's split apart so that the groups it defines can be treated differently based on whether their group is favored by whoever runs the sites they inhabit. Individuals always belong to 1 of each category of Tier 1 groups, and Tier 1 groups are created at the start of worldgen. Tier 1 groups are:

Cultures: Groups which share art forms, languages, appearance styles (i.e. clothing, tattoos, etc) and value preferences (more or less so depending on personality). Critters will move from one culture to another by marrying into it, allowing for the culture of an area to change over time. Necessary so foreigners are treated as foreigners rather than just strangers.

Religions: Groups which share objects of worship and value preferences (more or less so depending on personality). Can be linked together (i.e. different sects of the same religion). Will come with their own taboos and traditions eventually. Individuals will flip to another religion practiced in their site if the values it prefers are more aligned with their personal values that their current religion. Necessary so that religions can spread between societies and make things less homogeneous.

Ethnicity: Groups who share physical similarities. They're necessary so that the player can observe population movement in a meaningful way if the people who moved/were subsumed into another culture have all already assimilated.

1. This is already in the game since entities essentially are cultures.  Given the way that entities spread outwards from a single site, cultures are redundant unless somehow we can have parent entities spawn new entities.  That is redundant however since site limit causes growth to freeze during larger maps around yr 100 while smaller maps will not have room for the process to make sense.

2. This has promise especially since at a site-level it already exists (for towns).  It is easy enough to have religions form randomly in major settlements that do not have a religion and then spread outwards to other settlements, including jumping entity boundries.

3. Redundant since it is essentially the same thing as cultures or creatures having multiple entity membership (latter already exists). 

Tier 2: States
Territorial States: States that own land and build permanent sites within it. Have provinces, which are groupings of sites in proximity subordinated to a sub-capital, that can try to break away and become independent.

City States: Superficially similar to territorial states, but actually quite different. They are lead by one of their subordinate groups exclusively (the inhabitants of their capital city) and treat other population centers they control as tributary colonies - and these frequently try to become independent city-states of their own. They are more likely to try to exact tribute form fellow city states than they are to conquer them.

Nomadic States: States that own land but have no permanent inhabited sites (except maybe religious sites). Their population instead moves around in camps on a randomly defined circuit. Much like city states they're ruled by a single group, and if leadership would pass from a member of that group to a member of another (most likely because that group has been depopulated) each subordinate group becomes and independent group upon succession.

1.  Basically what have at the moment, at least with the planned developments.

2. At the moment we already have a confederacy of city states.  Until genuine rural populations are added in, the concept of a city-state vs a territorial state is fairly meaningless.

3. This is basically just a development on the bandit camps that are already in the game. 

Tier 3: Institutions
Kinship Groups: Groups defined by relationship among members. Necessary to allow for tribes/clans larger than immediate families to have an effect on politics.

Local Religious Hierarchy: A group defined by shared religion. Necessary for defining the relationship between temporal and spiritual authorities.

Local Business Organizations: Groups defined by shared profits among members. Necessary for trade cartels, business ventures that create sites (such as a bunch of carpenters in a dozen sites founding the creation of a lumber camp).

Local Criminal Organizations: Groups defined by shared criminal intent. Necessary so criminals can have warring subgroups or be spread across multiple sites.

Provinces: Only found in Territorial States. A single group subordinates other appropriate groups whose sites are in its immediate proximity. Necessary for multiple tiers of land-owning nobility and so that larger areas than a single site can revolt at once.

1. Will fast become synonymous with the site-government in any established site that has been around for a long while.

2. Not as such no.  Individuals already belong to religions, there is no need to have a separate group for the 'religious hierarchy' as the clergy can just be site positions unlocked when the population of a given religion is sufficient.

3. That is basically a starting scenario.

4. Already exists.

5. Can be modeled by hierarchical relationships between settlements site governments or by including subordinate settlements in the site government of the ordinate settlement.

Tier 4: International Organizations

The groups in Ti4 are T3 Groups that are not contained to a single T2 Group to operate. They include;

International Religious Hierarchy: I'm still unclear as to how these should form during play, but these are religious groups that replace the T3 LRH while acting across multiple T2 groups. Necessary so you can have the Pope, missionaries and meddling foreign clergy.

International Business Organizations: Associations of merchants across multiple T2 groups. Necessary so you can have trade routes and giant trading companies. Can be subordinate to T2 groups.

Rebel Groups: Associations of exiles from a specific T2 group living in other T2 groups who want to overthrow their original government and either take control or hand it off to someone else. Needed so Bay of Pigs type scenarios can happen.

International Criminal Association: Groups of criminals. Needed so that there can be a sinister international guild of assassins and whatnot.

1. Again we do not need a separate group for this.  We just tie the religion to a 'capital' and have one set of nobles living there and then have a set of nobles for the religion in major sites and another for minor sites.  Relationships within the religion can be handled by religion+site government.

2. Perhaps could be dealt with by relationships between appropriate starting scenario governments with the rest of the world.  In any case it is completely unrealistic to have giant business associations with no connection to any governments at all. 

3. This can be handled by establishing hierarchical relationships among the existing criminal gangs.

4. There is no reason why the existing site governments cannot handle rebel groups, especially since we ideally want continuity between when they were rebels and when they take over their site. 

5.  Again a hierarchical relationship between existing criminal organisations will do.

Thoughts? Are there any other categories of group to track to could enable more stuff? Am I full of bunk for suggesting Toady break his nice little 4-tiered system into a convoluted 9 tier, 20+ unique group type system mess even if it would enable more varied societies and stories?

We simply do not need more groups. The average world is already swarming with groups for everything and everyone, most of the ideas you propose are best modeled by relationships between groups as opposed to requiring a new group be created for every eventuality.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 12:48:32 pm »

PTW