Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grandmothers' Book Club: Crocheting not Included  (Read 458 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Grandmothers' Book Club: Crocheting not Included
« on: August 29, 2015, 11:51:19 am »

There have been a few threads revolving around books clubs, but they mostly feature coordination and discipline, a trait sadly lost in many forum pits. Due to that, I have taken the liberty of (hopefully) spurring forth a less-together book club with new book discussions dropping in and out depending on interest. Think of a Happy or Sad thread, but instead of events people mention what they thought of a piece of literature, igniting comments and debate.

And if it doesn't work, then I'll lock the thread. I suppose I'll start.

As per school request, the book "Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit" must be read. By reading the synopsis it seems rather surreal (to my taste), and captures a general enough scope to pose both interesting and mundane questions. For those who read the novel, how does it fare? And if nobody cares about this work then we can always talk about something else. Perhaps "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich".

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmothers' Book Club: Crocheting not Included
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 11:54:38 am »

I just read "Towing Jeovah", a magnificiently WTFesque book. God died. His three-kilometer long body is floating off the coast of Gabon, and the Archangels organized a large tomb in an iceberg near Svalbard. A tanker captain consumed by guilt of the oil spill he caused is hired by the Vatican to tow it there. It include philosophy, theology and a band of radical atheist trying to sink the Corpus Dei with WWII-era aircrafts.

My favourite moment is quite possible
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 11:57:59 am »

I just read "Towing Jeovah", a magnificiently WTFesque book. God died. His three-kilometer long body is floating off the coast of Gabon, and the Archangels organized a large tomb in an iceberg near Svalbard. A tanker captain consumed by guilt of the oil spill he caused is hired by the Vatican to tow it there. It include philosophy, theology and a band of radical atheist trying to sink the Corpus Dei with WWII-era aircrafts.

My favourite moment is quite possible
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please tell me this book takes place in the distant future and that the radical atheists are using WWII fighters because they feel like it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 12:02:31 pm »

It takes place in the late 1990's I think. (They tried to buy weapons from governments, but they all demured once they figured they were private persons and not a corrupt third-world government. So they hire a bunch of WWII reenactors)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 12:03:30 pm »

It takes place in the late 1990's I think. (They tried to buy weapons from governments, but they all demured once they figured they were private persons and not a corrupt third-world government. So they hire a bunch of WWII reenactors)

Sounds like a charming tale.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 12:12:15 pm »

It's been a while, but I'm still impressed by it: Red Mars.
This book was quite possibly one of the best science fiction books I've ever read. Robinson does an amazing job at getting into the character's heads, and all the points given, their dislikes of other characters, etc, seem perfectly reasonable.
I also just love the hopeful tone. Amazing book.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.