Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Meowschwitz  (Read 3050 times)

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Meowschwitz
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

SO I noticed a chain of "has given birth to a litter of kittens", and I formulated a "final solution" if you will.

Is it just me, or do kittens make the finest bolts?  I hate practicing with forged bolts ... so, 65 kittens in the butcher shop and my fort is stocked for life!

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Meowschwitz
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »

Bone bolts kind of suck, actually. (There's a reason dwarves only use them and wood for practice.)

Kitten leather mittens, on the other hand, are rumored to be staggeringly soft, fluffy and comfortable...

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 12:18:00 pm »

And kinky.
Shoes...

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

you can even make soap out of em.
Nothing feels better after a fourteenhour miningshift than grooming your facial hear with Zod Koganotils Beardconditioner and a nice bath with bubbles.
Now new with the flavours cave lobster, rock nut and slivery barb!

Ideal for long tradecaravans! Buy now and get a schistidol for free!

...I should play less

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

This is a masterfully designed gabbro grate. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of cat leather and red spinel. On the grate is an image of a dwarf and dwarves. The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

See this hat, 'twas my cat,
My evening wear - vampire bat,
These white slippers are albino
African endangered rhino.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grelphy:
<STRONG>Bone bolts kind of suck, actually. (There's a reason dwarves only use them and wood for practice.)

Kitten leather mittens, on the other hand, are rumored to be staggeringly soft, fluffy and comfortable...</STRONG>

Actually masterwork bone bolts (easy to get a legendary bonecarver) do just as much damage as regular iron bolts (what the goblins use and everyone complains about that) AND they have a better chance to hit thanks to being masterwork (I think). They can also come in bigger stacks, metal is limited to 25 but bone comes in stacks of 5 times the bones used, so you can get some really huge stacks from say elephants dragons or demons.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

Has anyone tried subsisting entirely on cat products? No agriculture, hunting or plant gathering, just cats. That could be a nice challenge, especially if you don't cage them.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AlienChickenPie:
<STRONG>Has anyone tried subsisting entirely on cat products? No agriculture, hunting or plant gathering, just cats. That could be a nice challenge, especially if you don't cage them.</STRONG>

They early game would be hell and you would need a NASA supercomputer, but yeah, that sounds like a good challenge.

Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

Good luck with that, once you get a dwarf that likes cats he/she will be adopted by every cat in the fortress, and then you can't butcher them.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hypcso:
<STRONG>Good luck with that, once you get a dwarf that likes cats he/she will be adopted by every cat in the fortress, and then you can't butcher them.</STRONG>
Ergo if any migrant likes cats, they have a little visit to that room with the leaky ceiling  :p
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Garnan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 11:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by atomicoctobot:
<STRONG>See this hat, 'twas my cat,
My evening wear - vampire bat,
These white slippers are albino
African endangered rhino.</STRONG>

In reply to atomicoctobot:
See my loafers,
Former gophers,
It was that or skin my chauffeurs.

In reply to the rest of the thread:
This game really does encourage sadistic play, doesn't it?

he wolf collides with The human Drunk!
The wolf bounces backward!

Never underestimate the power of one''s beer belly.

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »

You could do it with dogs too.  A bit easier too, since there's no chance of the dogs getting adopted while you're not paying attention.

I think problems would arise once the population gets to about...50 Dwarves.  You'd need like...200 dogs to keep the meat rolling in.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 02:19:00 am »

Q:  Why does everyone hate cats?

Their population seems to naturally stabilize after a few years (somewhere in the 50-100 range I think), they make vermin a non-issue, and they generally stay out of the way (with the exception that the one cat-lover they all adopt gets swarmed -- but you can give that bastard a cozy desk job so he stays out of everyone's way).  They occasionally block doors with dead vermin or upset their owners on death, but aside from that they're rarely a nuisance IMO.

I'm not really sure what makes them so obnoxious in so many forts.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Garnan:
<STRONG>

In reply to atomicoctobot:
See my loafers,
Former gophers,
It was that or skin my chauffeurs.</STRONG>

You missed a bit  :D

quote:
Q: Why does everyone hate cats?
Several reasons. The adoption is the main thing for me. If you're playing a long-term game and the game begins to lag a few years in, one way to quickly relieve some of the strain is to kill or imprison stray pets...but you can't do either of these with pets, and so it can be a real nuisance watching 100 cats/kittens running around your fortress, knowing that they're killing the speed of your game and short of killing their owner (who is probably a legendary worker and not someone you'd particularly want to sacrifice), there's bugger all you can do about the damn things.
Removing the [verminhunter] tag in the raws would solve this, of course, but then cats would lose their usefulness...so I keep a breeding couple, keep any pets brought by migrants, and let those few cats run around killing the pesky fire snakes and fluffy wamblers, and I just kill their babies the second I see a message saying that some kittens have been born.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.
Pages: [1] 2