Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: If i embark and produce a material, will my civ have access to it and trade?  (Read 2399 times)

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a rather complicated question and science may not have been done on it, but if my civilization does not export materials such as Brimstone or Platinum, could i set up a fortress that produces these materials on-site, export a large amount back to my Dwarven caravan, then retire my fortress to give my civilization access to these materials so i can get them in future embarks and order large quantities for importation?

Kamsko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting science project. I too am curious about this. If I had to guess and I know how very scientific of me, I don't think they keep track of these things yet, at least not in quantity. IIRC there is no real economics system in place just yet. However I do think the civs know what they have access to, just not how much and there is no flow of items form site to site.

That's just my limited understanding of what the wizard toady has conjured. I could be way wrong.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe i need to conduct science on this myself, but i suspect this won't be the case.... Yet.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A related question: if I export lots of high quality weapons and armour, could that affect my civs performance in battle? And if I retire a fort with a strong army, would that have any effect on my civ in wars?

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile

I wonder that very questions myself. I suspect, however, neither the production nor the  military power of our fortress matters much for the civ, currently. I'm following this in hopes some !!SCIENCE!! will be carried out on the subjects.
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, your fort's production will not influence what materials your civ has to offer IIRC. That system just doesn't exist as of right now.

And Uggh - that definitely doesn't occur. Soldiers don't look at the arms production of their civ at all, they are just magically given equipment when they decide they want to be soldiers. And besides, I don't think equipment effects worldgen battles at all.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:40:11 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

MechaJeb Kerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Somewhat related question. If I tame an animal and sell a breeding pair to the mountain home caravan, does that mean I'll have access to those animals in my next embark? I heard that somewhere, but haven't tested it myself.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just tried it, and the answer seems to be no.
My fortress had trained Rhesus Macaques up to the expert level and sold off two breeding pairs of completely tame grown up offspring to the dwarven caravan. I retired the fortress and set out to embark again, and there were no Rhesus' offered on the embark screen. Nor, for that matter, did I get Jabberers similarly tamed and sold off (but not yet at the expert training level). The world did only have a single dwarven civ, so I could not screw it up by selecting the wrong one.

MechaJeb Kerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just tried it, and the answer seems to be no.
My fortress had trained Rhesus Macaques up to the expert level and sold off two breeding pairs of completely tame grown up offspring to the dwarven caravan. I retired the fortress and set out to embark again, and there were no Rhesus' offered on the embark screen. Nor, for that matter, did I get Jabberers similarly tamed and sold off (but not yet at the expert training level). The world did only have a single dwarven civ, so I could not screw it up by selecting the wrong one.

Oh well, there goes my plan of starting a new world in year one and moving from place to place until dwarves have all the cool animals :(

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A related question: if I export lots of high quality weapons and armour, could that affect my civs performance in battle? And if I retire a fort with a strong army, would that have any effect on my civ in wars?

No, your fort's production will not influence what materials your civ has to offer IIRC. That system just doesn't exist as of right now.

And Uggh - that definitely doesn't occur. Soldiers don't look at the arms production of their civ at all, they are just magically given equipment when they decide they want to be soldiers. And besides, I don't think equipment effects worldgen battles at all.

I think that the only thing that effects worldgen battles is numbers (though not significantly for some reason) battle modifiers (I'm not sure where this information is located, but this is why 1000 elves will lose to 30 dwarves) and military prowess of only the leader. I don't think the skills of combatants are calculated at all for world gen battles, but they could be for survival checks when the battle has "concluded" and the number of wounded and deceased is known but those that have died/lived are not assigned yet. Though, most battles have non-important historical figures so I think those die immediately and if any of the non-important figures survive they become important. Not sure on that part.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IIRC, at least in previous versions, most battles were automatically declared as 'victories' in favor of the aggressor. Hence, why some dwarven civilizations will fall to repeated attacks by 10 or so goblins. I don't know if that applies here, but the last few times I looked through legends, I couldn't find one instance where the defenders actually won.

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile

Imagine all the people the weight it would have on world gen processing if every battle were simulated down to each individual soldier, though... it would be awesome and annoying at the same time...
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I remember correctly, the battle logic has already been changed so the attacker doesn't always win anymore.

Wormser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Somewhat related question. If I tame an animal and sell a breeding pair to the mountain home caravan, does that mean I'll have access to those animals in my next embark? I heard that somewhere, but haven't tested it myself.

No. Just the knowladge of taming will be sent if they make it off the map.
"When training animals that your civilization has never domesticated before, successful training will result in some knowledge being transferred to your civilization every time the dwarven caravan returns to the mountainhomes. This has no effect on gameplay within your fortress, but is conjectured to reduce training barriers for future fortresses established by your civilization. Although a number of farm animals are domesticated by your civilization from the beginning of the game, your fortress cannot individually "civilization-level" domesticate a species."
  Sources: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Animal_trainer But, nice idea. Also seems unlikely we will get to the domesticated level for or civ mentioned here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121150.0

bluemovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for my question here, but its completly about this aspect.
I correctly understand that any trade goods what I send with any caravan just dissapear when caravan is gone from fortress map and any items that I sold them dont appear in the world? Or I wrong and I can find as adventure my masterfully designed gold crown what I sold before at my mountainhome or human castle?
Sorry for my english
Pages: [1] 2