Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Eagle Acrobatics  (Read 740 times)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Eagle Acrobatics
« on: January 17, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »

So my main fortress access is a large set of up-down staircases. To protect my "borehole" from surface invaders, I build a wall around it. Completely, in fact, although later I planned on removing some walls and putting in traps, dogs, and doors instead.

You can see where this is heading.

A giant eagle was cruising low to the ground on my map, hit the wall, and flew up over it. Then it _FLEW DOWN THE STAIRCASE_ popping out in the middle of my fortress. Fortunately it picked the level right above my meeting hall to end up in, so all my dogs rushed it, which kept it distracted long enough to finish it off with my woodcutters/miners.

That is (was) one amazingly agile eagle.

So here's my question - what do you put on top of a Up/Down staircase (the ones displayed as X) to protect it from above?

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Eagle Acrobatics
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »

I believe a hatch can be built over an up/down staircase.
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

Yes, hatches work exactly like doors, except more vertically.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

An alternative is to build floors on the z-level above the level the walls are on ie: build a roof. Hatches are quicker, but a roof looks better.  ;)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Poobar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

A hatch on top of a staircase also flashes (unless I'm doing something wrong!). Far better to build a roof, have a little gatehouse.