Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modifying Characters Appearance (Adventure Mode)?  (Read 5685 times)

UltraTobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modifying Characters Appearance (Adventure Mode)?
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:39:03 pm »

I'm new to modding dwarf fortress, and from thinking about it, this question does sound kinda dumb, but, is there any way to change anything about your character? height, face, etc. are randomly generated.. any way to change it, so I could make a character of my choosing?
Edit: I'm talking about Adventure Mode.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:07:41 pm by UltraTobs »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Modifying Characters?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:57:13 pm »

DFHack is the only way. Appearance modifying is really hard.

UltraTobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 08:03:05 pm »

Looked through the Dfhack commands in the GitHub, looks as if there are only 2 adventure mode commands: swap bodies and show tools... or I just don't know what I'm doing?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Modifying Characters Appearance (Adventure Mode)?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:11:12 pm »

gui/gm-editor is how you'll edit your guy with DFHack. Like I said, it's hard.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:29:16 pm »

You can make creatures that are copies of your race of choice and edit the appearance tags to your liking. It takes some trial and error to get it right, but once you know what you want it's as easy as copy and paste. For instance:
Code: [Select]
[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:CLOSE_SET:100:100:100:100:100:100:100]
[APP_MOD_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
100 is the middle value for appearances, and doesn't generate a line of text in the creature's description. If you wanted a specific value, you would have to toy around until you found the value for what you wanted, repeating until the creature looks exactly the way you want it.

It's not perfect, though. You would have to make a dummy entity and then you would have to play as an outsider, unless you want a civilization of clones running around. The upside is that it allows you can take certain... "Creative liberties" without affecting a major race. Subtle things like higher attributes, or more drastic changes such as replacing the bone material with steel.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 05:07:32 am »

You can add castes with those traits.

UltraTobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:34:37 pm »

Thank you guys for your help, dfhack is a great help to me. I can change my size modifier, but is what is that changing? My overall size? My height? If I change it to a high number then look at my description, it says I'm Very Large for a Human. But it says "incredible muscles over a small build" ??? What does that mean? I'm large but have a small build at the same time? What does that mean?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 02:19:51 pm »

You can add castes with those traits.
Specifically castes with [POP_RATIO:1] and making the other normal castes have [POP_RATIO:9999] or something meaning that you effectively never meet that exact clone in play and even if you do there's basically no chance of encountering 2 so it wouldn't be too strange.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia