Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: China Tianjin Blast status & discussion thread  (Read 1782 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
China Tianjin Blast status & discussion thread
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:23:10 am »

Since nobody has made one yet. I'm going to bed so I can't put up links in the OP.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/12/explosion-chinese-port-city-tianjin
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:27:37 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: China Tianjin Blast status & discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 09:37:40 am »

I was around there a while ago. Those buildings near the epicenter that were destroyed? Pictures don't do it justice, those were big buildings, burned straight through.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 01:14:38 am »

Is it possible to convert ton (energy force) to ton (weight)?

I've been interested in this, concerning around an estimated 24 (according to news) tons of explosive material kaboom'd.

Those poor people...
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 01:45:42 am »

Yes, but you have to know exactly what the explosives were. Not really feasible in this case.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 02:39:18 am »

Shiit.

Either way the way the port just turned char is... :/
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:55:26 am »

Latest news in my Dutch newspaper says the explosions might have been caused by the firefighters, because they used water to try and put out a fire.
The compound stored ammonium nitrate, potassium nitrate, and calcium carbide.

Calcium carbide reacts with water to form the very explosive acetylene.

A subsequent explosion of acetylene could explain the first blast, and could very well have triggered the ammonium nitrate to explode as well in the second, larger explosion.

Exploding ammonium nitrate would explain the huge devastation caused by the blast.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:57:56 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 08:13:09 am »

Is it possible to convert ton (energy force) to ton (weight)?

I've been interested in this, concerning around an estimated 24 (according to news) tons of explosive material kaboom'd.

Those poor people...

Big enough to register as a small quake and for the shockwave to break windows a mile and a half away, for one.

Latest news in my Dutch newspaper says the explosions might have been caused by the firefighters, because they used water to try and put out a fire.
The compound stored ammonium nitrate, potassium nitrate, and calcium carbide.

Calcium carbide reacts with water to form the very explosive acetylene.

A subsequent explosion of acetylene could explain the first blast, and could very well have triggered the ammonium nitrate to explode as well in the second, larger explosion.

Exploding ammonium nitrate would explain the huge devastation caused by the blast.

From the video that I've seen, it looked like the second more massive blast was right after the first, however, I don't know what the firefighters were doing at that time. I thought they arrived after the big blast.

Again, I don't know what the actual timeline of the firefighters actions are, other than that they stopped when they realized that they didn't know what chemicals were in there.

Also, what about that potassium nitrate? Potassium is in the same group as sodium, and thus reacts violently with water. Maybe I'll wiki that one though.

Edit: Potassium Nitrate is fine in water, but it IS an oxidizer and has been and is used in explosives. So, despite the fact that the wiki page says non-flammable, I probably wouldn't want it anywhere near a fire.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:18:46 am by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:15:03 am »

So, read the last paragraph. I think I know what caused the explosion- someone got around to actually ordering a kilo of the stuff, and they did deliver. Well, tried to deliver.
They tried

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 12:14:06 pm »

PTW.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 12:59:55 pm »

Yield estimates are further complicated by the explosion being partially fuel-air, a combo that produces an atypically large force-to-fireball ratio.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 03:16:20 pm »

For an idea of how devastating some plant/warehouse explosions can be, see West, Texas fertilizer plant (2014).

I was still working with BATF when this one happened. Ammonium nitrate plant, it VAPORIZED the firefighters who had responded to the call, registered as a 2.1-magnitude earthquake, blew out windows up to 7 miles away, and destroyed a nearby apartment building.

Another example -- 2009 refinery explosion in Puerto Rico. Showed up as a 2.8-magnitude quake, and knocked out all cell towers in a several-mile radius around the plant. We discovered this when the BATF response team got down there and could not communicate or connect to the network at all (they had mobile 3G hotspot devices at the time for field response operations like this). We had to overnight them some sat phones to get any kind of connection.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.