Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Defend ze glory of ze German Wunderwaffen!  (Read 16577 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Defend ze glory of ze German Wunderwaffen!
« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2015, 03:34:11 pm »

I dont think I'll be able to provide those.

Again. I have no idea how many Hawks, Dewointines or MS.406s were claimed by the Luftwaffe. Quite possibly nobody does, nor how many were shot down by Bf 109s. I don't have similar data on every Jadgeschwader because I dont have every book or scanned original paper nor have they ever been compiled similarly to JG 26's to the best of my knowledge. We know how many were lost to all reasons, but we dont know how many went down to gunners, how many to collisions, how many were reported as being lost to enemy fire but in fact were not or the opposite. We also do not know how many Luftwaffe aircraft the Dewointines or MS.406 actually shot down without tracking the whole mess fight by fight and even then with everything cross checked one ends up with fog of war. Luftwaffe pilots didnt always ID their adversaries perfectly, mixed formations were common.

Even if we somehow managed to find out their true victory/loss ratio against the Bf 109, would it tell much? The sample of all of France Dewointine fleet is probably smaller than JG 26's. There quite possibly more Bf 109s in the JG 26 alone at any given time than Dewointines in the entire French air arm.

I think the original argument was over their aircrafts' performance any way, why use combat results effected by thousands of factors(Hurricanes lost) when theres quite detailed technical specifications available (where Hurricane also loses) and pilot memoirs("Hurricanes were slow, leaked oil and flew like if they had rubber bands between the stick and the control surfaces and had no canopy ejection mechanism")
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:21:01 pm by Erkki »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2015, 04:10:23 pm »

Except that he's bringing the best data he has, and you're bringing nothing.

"We must do something.  This is something.  We must do this."
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2015, 04:12:07 pm »

Ok, you're just being an asshole. Normally I can kinda forgive you since you're being a smart asshole, but here you're just being an asshole.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2015, 04:25:05 pm »

Maybe I'm being a smart asshole that you disagree with?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:27:54 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2015, 04:48:08 pm »

Nah, not in this case. Erkki was pretty clear why he was using that data: because it's the only source that properly separate fighter v. fighter kills from all the others. And you just go "lalalala can't hear you, you're stupid".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2015, 05:01:32 pm »

Nah, not in this case. Erkki was pretty clear why he was using that data: because it's the only source that properly separate fighter v. fighter kills from all the others. And you just go "lalalala can't hear you, you're stupid".

Yes he was pretty clear on his reasons.  They were bad reasons.  When this was pointed out by some asshole he should have realized it was data that does not support his conclusions.

I'm not the worlds greatest communicator, I know that.  But at least I'm fucking honest with you and will try and help you be right and not be wrong.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2015, 05:25:55 pm »

I dont think I'll be able to provide those.

Again. I have no idea how many Hawks, Dewointines or MS.406s were claimed by the Luftwaffe. Quite possibly nobody does, nor how many were shot down by Bf 109s. I don't have similar data on every Jadgeschwader because I dont have every book or scanned original paper nor have they ever been compiled similarly to JG 26's to the best of my knowledge. We know how many were lost to all reasons, but we dont know how many went down to gunners, how many to collisions, how many were reported as being lost to enemy fire but in fact were not or the opposite. We also do not know how many Luftwaffe aircraft the Dewointines or MS.406 actually shot down without tracking the whole mess fight by fight and even then with everything cross checked one ends up with fog of war. Luftwaffe(/Allied) pilots didnt always ID their adversaries perfectly, mixed formations were common.

Even if we somehow managed to find out their true victory/loss ratio against the Bf 109, would it tell much? The sample size is tiny. There quite possibly more Bf 109s in the JG 26 alone at any given time than Dewointines in the entire French air arm.

I think the original argument was over their aircrafts' performance any way, why use combat results effected by thousands of factors(Hurricanes lost) when theres quite detailed technical specifications available (where Hurricane also loses) and pilot memoirs("Hurricanes were slow, leaked oil and flew like if they had rubber bands between the stick and the control surfaces and had no canopy ejection mechanism")

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2015, 05:28:01 pm »

As a random jerk I'm going to break into your argument and tell you to be nice each other.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2015, 03:29:26 am »

German aces alone claimed more "confirmed" kills against the soviet then the Soviets had planes.
Wait, what?

Also, seriously noone is capable of providing penetration of APHE rounds from FG 40?
Acuually I'm not suprised, considering I can't find that too.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2015, 05:57:35 am »

Considering that google doesn't even know what FG 40 is I don't find that suprising :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2015, 06:16:34 am »

Yes, what is a FG40?

The FG42 is a paratrooper rifle, but I'm pretty sure that those don't fire APHE shells.

I guess FG could stand for ''feldgeschutz'' (field gun) but I don't find anything like that on the internets or in my brain.
The only other thing I guess you could mean is the 15cm L/40 Feldkanone which I think can be designated FK 40

If that is what you mean, then those guns typically do not fire APHE, but the naval gun they were based on do, and after finding some obscure site and going off shell weight info on wikipedia, the pentration value of the APHE fired from FK40 is... about 250 mm at point blank.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2015, 07:24:59 am »

Yes, what is a FG40?
It's a BBQ Smoker. The fact that we couldn't deploy enough of those to the frontlines from 1942 on is widely considered to have caused a huge drop in morale that resulted in the collapse of the Eastern Front, which ultimately cost us victory.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2015, 07:31:17 am »

Looks like I somehow managed to double post... Sorry about that. I cant remember what the second one was supposed to be about. Too tired.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2015, 07:40:07 am »

1. The performance specifications we have available are usually theoretical ones based on how the manufacturer stated the aircraft performed under test, and often have as much resemblance to production aircraft under combat conditions as horseshit does to peanut butter.

2. Even when they are accurate, they don't tell the whole story. Many aircraft had fairly mediocre "paper" stats, but were so reliable and easy to maintain that they could fly at their full performance under almost any conditions, while others look extremely impressive on paper, but were so hard to fly that only the best pilots could come anywhere close to reaching the potential (a notorious offender is the FW 190 - most pilots preferred the easier-to-handle Bf. 109 even though the 190 was theoretically a better plane in most respects.) Not to mention that none of the technical specifications will tell you that the Zero fell out of the sky if you looked at it hard enough or that the Betty bomber went up like a torch at the slightest excuse. The ONLY way to determine the relative quality of any two designs is to see how it performed with pilots of roughly equal skill under equal conditions.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2015, 08:09:54 am »

1. The performance specifications we have available are usually theoretical ones based on how the manufacturer stated the aircraft performed under test, and often have as much resemblance to production aircraft under combat conditions as horseshit does to peanut butter.

The test conditions are often known. Test results may not be 100% comparable but it doesnt mean they couldnt be compared at all. In WW2 aircraft it wasnt unusual to have up to 5% performance difference between brand new out of the factory plane examples and it only grew from there when the planes got flight hours, which is something that also needs to be taken into account.

But if a plane has something like 50 km/h speed advantage at most altitudes like Bf 109 over the Hurricane I, then thats something that cant be just handwaved away.

2. Even when they are accurate, they don't tell the whole story. Many aircraft had fairly mediocre "paper" stats, but were so reliable and easy to maintain that they could fly at their full performance under almost any conditions, while others look extremely impressive on paper, but were so hard to fly that only the best pilots could come anywhere close to reaching the potential (a notorious offender is the FW 190 - most pilots preferred the easier-to-handle Bf. 109 even though the 190 was theoretically a better plane in most respects.) Not to mention that none of the technical specifications will tell you that the Zero fell out of the sky if you looked at it hard enough or that the Betty bomber went up like a torch at the slightest excuse.

"Wet wing" planes like the G3M and G4M have always burned nicely. Though its not the fuel really but rather fuel gases within the tank meeting sparks from the frame/skin aluminum when its struck by bullets. Or incendiary rounds.

Any way... source? Flying a plane in general isnt the same thing as flying a plane in combat... And most of the pilots who flew both Bf 109 and the Fw 190 extensively preferred the Fw 190. It was the Fw 190 that was easier to handle, was more automated(electric, push-of-a-button flaps, trims, gear) and had the wide landing gear which helped a lot in the East especially, and less experienced ones at takeoff and landing. Center of weight more ahead so it didnt want to turn to the left at takeoff as much too. Usually the only things pilots moving from 109 to the 190 disliked were the tendency to snap stall in a high G turn to the right(more experienced pilots loved it, though) and the way the radial BMW engine blocked sight more than 109's inline DB when taxing and at takeoff.

Which is why this was often done:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The ONLY way to determine the relative quality of any two designs is to see how it performed with pilots of roughly equal skill under equal conditions.

No it isnt. For determining how large the performance difference exactly is, perhaps, but mock up fights aren't really needed to determine that Bf 109 was superior to, say, Hurricane or F6F/F4U to Zero.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:11:50 am by Erkki »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14