Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: The Far West-Ch.1/Light for Some-others, A Deeper Darkness (Game thread)  (Read 21813 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: The Far West-Ch.1/Light for Some-others, A Deeper Darkness (Game thread)
« Reply #285 on: October 05, 2015, 04:26:11 pm »

Vic abandons her new friends sets off on her own to rectify the situation...to face the music, as it were. Lucky stumps behind you faithfully.

High Sheriff Chun Ziang meets Vic at the steps to the Sevenforks Sheriff's Office-a small, battered looking building with peeling paint, and missing shutters. They certainly don't do this for the money...

Sheriff Ziang is more classically Imperial in build-short, slight, almost delicate in bearing-with dark black hair and narrow, dark blue eyes. Still, she's lived in the West for nearly her entire life, and is more than willing to brawl with anyone who says otherwise-she's rumored to be the best hand-to-hand fighter in leagues and leagues, and Vic knows just by looking that her body is lean, flexible, powerful and trained to kill. She was intimidated by the woman when they first met, and is not looking forward to this meeting...the Sheriff storms down the stairs as soon as you approach the building, seemingly in some state of distress.

"...Where is he? Where's Jones? Tell me you have him." She says quickly, never a woman to waste time on compliments and greetings. She looks behind you, no doubt hoping he is being led toward the prison.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 05, 2015, 04:32:05 pm »

"Yeah... about that. His gang caught up with me; one of them shot him in the head. I don't know if it was an accident or to keep him from talking. I'm not expecting full payment since I couldn't bring him in alive or carry his body all the way here. But I did recover this." Vic handed over the scrap of paper. "He kept insisting this is why you wanted him alive, to explain this. It may not be as good as the real thing, but maybe you can at least recover whatever it was he stole from the clues here."

Explain. ^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 05, 2015, 04:34:13 pm »

Wen-Li turned to speak to the others, but the one-armed lady had already disappeared.
No matter, she supposed.

"Well, this may be where we part ways, but if you would, I'll be performing in a tavern called Sevenstrings - if nothing else, I'll wrangle or buy you a drink, as thanks for the company and not letting me get shot by bandits."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 05, 2015, 04:42:06 pm »

"Yeah... about that. His gang caught up with me; one of them shot him in the head. I don't know if it was an accident or to keep him from talking. I'm not expecting full payment since I couldn't bring him in alive or carry his body all the way here. But I did recover this." Vic handed over the scrap of paper. "He kept insisting this is why you wanted him alive, to explain this. It may not be as good as the real thing, but maybe you can at least recover whatever it was he stole from the clues here."

Explain. ^

Sheriff Ziang reads the paper with a dubious expression.

"...I have no idea what any of this means. For all we know, Jones wrote this when he was drunk to plot the course to his favorite lay! This is really all you have?"

"The door," indicates Immanuel Jade again with a sweep of the arm all around himself. "You do not understand?" he then asks disappointedly, though retaining a more than slightly manic look.

Action: if these two continue being dense, Immanuel Jade shiftily proceeds down the hallway a little and examines their play from various angles, mind primed for unusual patterns.

They continue being dense.

The pair at the table shrug and go back to their game.

Jade shiftily shifts down the hallway, and watch them play. He sees no unusual patterns. Certainly no one is cheating. The cards come out much as he thinks they might. Just like cigars can just be cigars, two people playing cards might just be...two people playing cards.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 07, 2015, 10:38:35 am »

Immanuel Jade cocks his head, his pupils slowly moving to the bottom of his eyes as if their flotation in the middle of his gaze had been broken by some factor.

Action: wary of paranormal stochastics, Immanuel Jade proceeds to check the cells again. Are there still only two people in them, and are both of them still speaking binary?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 08, 2015, 06:25:46 pm »

"That and a busted iron carriage and a dead carriage driver from where we were attacked. I'm not looking for pay; I know that piece of paper ain't the job I was given. I just figured it was better than turning up completely empty-handed. Maybe you and yours can make something of it." Victoria tipped her hat to the sheriff and turned to leave.

More talking. Then more leaving. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 08, 2015, 06:38:04 pm »

Immanuel Jade cocks his head, his pupils slowly moving to the bottom of his eyes as if their flotation in the middle of his gaze had been broken by some factor.

Action: wary of paranormal stochastics, Immanuel Jade proceeds to check the cells again. Are there still only two people in them, and are both of them still speaking binary?

Yes. Yes.

"That and a busted iron carriage and a dead carriage driver from where we were attacked. I'm not looking for pay; I know that piece of paper ain't the job I was given. I just figured it was better than turning up completely empty-handed. Maybe you and yours can make something of it." Victoria tipped her hat to the sheriff and turned to leave.

More talking. Then more leaving. :P

The Sheriff seems very upset. She called to Vic, as the woman turned to leave.

"...Victoria. I know you wanted a simple job, but without Jun in my hands things are going to get...complicated. You might be in danger. If you leave now, I can keep your name out of it, try to protect you...but, you might want to take a personal stake in this before it gets out of hand. You have any idea who the people pulling my strings are? Any idea at all? They're going to want more answers than I can give them."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 08, 2015, 06:49:40 pm »

Vic raised an eyebrow. "What are you talking about? Some kind of conspiracy or something?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 08, 2015, 07:21:02 pm »

"I suppose you had no idea you were getting mixed up with House Laers, did you?"

Spoiler: House Laers (click to show/hide)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 08, 2015, 08:12:11 pm »

"I'm not overly familiar with the House. All the same... what do you expect me to do about them?" Perhaps tellingly, however, Vic hadn't left yet.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 09, 2015, 10:01:22 am »

"I'm more worried about what they'll do to you.

Listen, if you don't want any more of this, I suggest you just take a walk-and, maybe make yourself scarce in Sevenforks for a few months. Until it all dies down, take a nice vacation. If you wanna hear more, however...well, I've got some strong Baijiu and a story to tell-one that won't make you more wealthy or add any years to your life, that's for certain. The choice is yours, bounty hunter."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 09, 2015, 10:06:07 am »

Action: Immanuel Jade sits down, staring at the door at the end of the greater door - the door that ostensibly keeps him locked in a room, but instead keeps him inside another door, of course. He occasionally checks the room which is a door for changes, then looks back at the door which is a door into a door to see what it looks with a fresher mind. Repeatedly.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 09, 2015, 02:46:07 pm »

"I might as well hear it."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 10, 2015, 06:59:34 pm »

Well, looks like they were busy staring at the scenery. Ah, well.
She could almost here a bath calling. And something proper to eat.
Perhaps she could eat in the bath?

She span her parasol in her grip as she headed towards where she believed Sevenstrings to be built, her horse clopping along. Maybe she'd get rid of it - she wasn't much of a horse rider. Perhaps it would be easier with a saddle...

Head to the inn
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 11, 2015, 12:23:18 pm »

Action: Immanuel Jade sits down, staring at the door at the end of the greater door - the door that ostensibly keeps him locked in a room, but instead keeps him inside another door, of course. He occasionally checks the room which is a door for changes, then looks back at the door which is a door into a door to see what it looks with a fresher mind. Repeatedly.

And, so he passes the hours, sitting on the floor and staring at the wall.

Unsurprisingly, not much changes at all.

"...You're sure you don't wanna play a game of cards or something?" Mags says hesitantly, after about an hour or so.

"I might as well hear it."

The sheriff invites you inside to her shabby office, gesturing you for you to sit in a chair aside from her desk-which is cluttered with pounds of Imperial Issued paperwork. With a shove, she slides it all to one side to clear room for a bottle of Baiju-white liquor-and two glasses. She pours herself a finger, drains it, and begins her story.

"I'll cut to the bone. Osten Laers is dying. Deep black rot in his lungs, probably from those damn Tirkan cigars he liked to smoke. He'll die on his silk sheets with the pretty ladies fanning him, for all his sins, I do not doubt-but, he won't go peacefully or painlessly, and I find this acceptable."

She raises her glass, as if in salutation.

"Not a man or woman in the West will mourn the bastards passing, count me among them-but, since I'm the High Sheriff, I've got to worry about what happens after the fireworks have gone off."

She pours and takes another drink.

"See, here's the thing. Old Osten was a hound. Enjoyed a yīyèqíng* about every week or so-he had seven wives over his life, sixteen mistresses in between, an untold number of courtesans and half-day girls, and what I have is no doubt a considerable number of rapes." She says gravely. "I mean to say, he's got a lot of spawn. Most of em' as rotten as he is, and when his black spirit finally goes to the Ten Courts of Hell, the question is going to be asked by all and sundry who sprang from his loins. Where's the money? As you can imagine, he's a spiteful miser who has been stringing many folks along with promises and oaths. No one was quite sure who's going to be first in line to inherit the fortune and the head of the family-since no one is quite sure who his first child is, and he didn't tell anyone until very recently..."

Pour, drink. Mechanical efficiency.

"Once he is gone, they will bring a new definition to the term 'family squabble'-many of them are prepared and willing to shed blood to take their small piece of the pie. Thing is, the Laers family is not unlike the black rot killing it's founder-it's so ingrained in the body of Sevenforks that to kill it entirely without restraint and in an orderly fashion, would hurt many people-innocent people, who are guilty of no more crime than working in one of their sweat shops or gambling parlors. There will be war in the west-House Laers fall will be a bloody mess...I aim to stop this madness before it starts, or at least lessen it.

Now, you ask. What does Jun have to do with that? Thing is, Jun stole more than Gold. He might or might not have told you. He kidnapped a young man from that carriage. Ognen Laers. Currently, Osten has declared him inheritor of everything. All the land. All the money. The whole bag of rocks. Probably just for a laugh, knowing him. The boys hardly past his 20th birthday-straight laced Imperial, college educated. Never expected to see or hear word of his blighted family or even step foot in the west, I imagine.

And, now he's gone. Osten's Laers has fallen into what they call a 'comma' (sic)-I've been told that means he's asleep, but not dead, and not likely to wake up ever again-and his heirs been kidnapped in what is either an extreme case of ill fortune or the machinations of one of his many greedy children, or even someone else entirely bent on a different end-maybe the fall of Laers, maybe just general chaos. Maybe someone just hates the Laers enough to decide it's in the greater good...

This note you have. I'm sorry if I played dumb. But, it might be the only clue we have to finding him...assuming he's still alive. If Osten dies and the the heir isn't produced, all Hell is going to break loose. My town is going to get torn apart."

She sighs. Rubs her forehead.

"Would you like something to drink? And, tell me your thoughts on all of this."

*One night stand

Well, looks like they were busy staring at the scenery. Ah, well.
She could almost here a bath calling. And something proper to eat.
Perhaps she could eat in the bath?

She span her parasol in her grip as she headed towards where she believed Sevenstrings to be built, her horse clopping along. Maybe she'd get rid of it - she wasn't much of a horse rider. Perhaps it would be easier with a saddle...

Head to the inn

Wen-li made her way to Sevenstrings...in the nicer part of town. There were even electric lights here-which, she reflected, were common in Orinost. Common as fury-treated clean water basins, and wrist worn handymans that could tell the weather. Here, the lamps are only in the richest and most well kept streets.

True to it's name, the place had a chaotic air about it-many performers here, many hopeful and not so hopefuls. Some alone, some in pairs, some bands. Not only musicians, but entertainers of every stripe-tumblers, fireblowers, fury dancers, actors and actresses, and of course minstrels and bards. Wen-Li is sad that she doesn't see any other true Orinost Bars, but she does spot not a few obvious (to her) fakes. With their rubber, wood and plaster masks, painted in garish colors, and obnoxious 'devices' which usually imply spinning wheels and colorful smoke-thought some wield actual artifacts, most broken, in poor repair, or being used wrong. Her people have in some ways been reduced to this farce...one of them passes by her as she heads to the back of the stage where the rooms for the performers are-doing a ridiculous tumbling dance. His mask is fake-plaster, peeling paint shaped into a ghoulish grin. He even carries a parody of your own own umbrella, whirling in circles every time he turns a wheel with his dirty white gloves. Wen-li might find this amusing or disgusting-traditionally, only women carried umbrellas in Orinost.

"Lady, oh-that's a nice mask. Where did you find it? Perhaps...in the ruins! Oh, lament! Oh, sadness! Weep for lost Orinost!" He says, sarcastic words biting into you with a sharp edge. Then he turns conversational, perhaps even trying to hit on you. "Really, though. That is a nice getup. I can barely make out the seams. Must have cost you at least seven talons, right? You make the rest of us look like amateurs. Tell me, who's your supplier? I might be interested in showing you the ropes..." he says, 'charmingly' "Maybe we could do a duet!"

Orinost Bards also always acted alone. That was the burden of singing the praises.

She mentally compares these fakes, with her real people...most of which are playing their instruments for scraps.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:39:36 pm by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21