Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: The Far West (Wuxia Steampunk Western RPG) All full up, waitlist available  (Read 21465 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152429.msg6425013#msg6425013 -->Game Thread

The Secession Wars ended with the inevitability of a coming winter.

The new world was created. Peace and prosperity for all. For those who had lost everything in the War, there was no place for them. They headed west, to start new lives. For warriors, even those who had fought on the winning side, there was no place for them, either. Steeped in too much blood, and possessed of a skill and trade that was no longer desired, they also headed west.

Beyond the Periphery lies the Frontier. Settlements began to blossom. Yet even here the flower of civilization asked too much tending, and so men and women pushed further West.

Beyond the Frontier. Into the Far West.

“I look to the North,
the cold wind smells of pine and iron.
I look to the East,
the cool wind smells of jasmine and brine.
I look to the South,
the warm wind smells of citrus and loam.
I will not look to the West,
for the wind is full of dust,
and it smells of blood and glory.”
- Loora Vol, Poetess

Spoiler: Map of the Far West (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World Lore (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Submission (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Final notes (click to show/hide)
((Reserving the post right below this, btw, for stuff. Don't post there. Also, please do not rush your character sheets-I will take the players who seem to be having the most fun designing their characters.))

Accepted Characters
Spoiler: Playergamer/Sal Liu (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tiruin/Hiraya Mawari (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sercon/Victoria Dyson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:50:34 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Far West (Wuxia Steampunk Western RPG)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 11:13:01 am »

Clans
The Far West has it's share of factions, and you had best know who are your friends and enemies...

Steam Barons
House Grunbremoch
Headed by the implacable Colonel Sond Grunbremoch, who lost his arm in the Succession Wars and had a fury powered metallic replacement grafted onto him. A loyalist to the August Throne, he has has built an Empire of Steel based on advancing the Empires ideals of law and order ever Westward-no matter what the opinions of those in his way are.

House Marghul
Of the many Chartered Houses, there are few held in higher regard within the Empire and abroad than House Marghul. The Marghuls are at the forefront of the Empire’s expansion into the Periphery and beyond into the Far West. The Bureaucracy points to House Marghul as an example of what every Chartered House should strive to be and it is generally held to be a truism that there is no House more loyal, nor more steadfast in defense of the Empire than the Marghul...Too bad it's all a lie. House Marghul was founded on a secret, one that each generation has held dear, and every endeavor that the House undertakes all serves to bring about their ultimate purpose: reestablishing the kingdom they lost during the Succession Wars.

House Laers
When most folk look beyond the borders of the Empire, they fail to see anything other than dangerous barbarians and untamed wilderness. They regard the Periphery as barely civilized and its people as being but a short step from savages. When Osten Laers first travelled into the west, he thought the same, but what he saw were opportunities. At that time, a booming economy was rising in the Periphery to handle legitimate businesses of every stripe and within that growth were openings for corruption, smuggling, opiates, gambling, extortion, and more. A crime for every occasion, opportunities in abundance, oh yes indeed...

Law and Order
The Rangers (Defunct?)
Sometimes called ‘The Knights of the Far West’, this nearly monastic order of gunslinger/knights are dedicated to serving Justice, rather than any particular government. Their loyalty to their Clan and their Code caused them to run afoul of the Empire, and the Rangers were rounded up, outlawed, arrested and/or killed. Today, they are legendary, wandering the Far West, outlawed but still serving their Code.

The Marshals
A great many men who lost so much in the Succession Wars found their way West, and desiring a way to use their skills for the greater good (or maybe just a legal way or earning money) they slowly formed into the Marshals, who have inherited the oaths and responsibilities of the Rangers who came before them. Unlike their predecessors, they do not quite have a reputation for honor, invulnerability, or incorruptibility. But, there are still good men and women among them, who do good works. Perhaps that is how all legends begin.

The Twin Eagle Security Agency
A private security and detective force that can be hired by anyone with enough to offer them, members of the Twin Eagle Security Agency are “citified” dandies who rely on gadgets and flashy weapons as the tools of their trade. Unlike the other Clans, the Twin Eagle Security Agency is not based in the Far West, but are an officially-chartered business enterprise in the Empire proper. Their operatives can be found within the borders of the Empire, throughout the Periphery, and out into the Far West itself.

The Iron Dragons
The members of the Iron Dragon Clan work aboard trains as laborers — porters, stevedores, coal-men, engineers and conductors — defending trains, cargos and rail travellers from bandits and other dangers. Some Iron Dragons actually own and operate small independent railway companies, who often find themselves at odds with the Steam Barons — the rich industrialists from back east who own the large Chartered Houses and many of the railways into the Far West.

Free Factions
The Jade Family
A loosely-affiliated organization of nomadic con-artists, beggars, fortune-tellers, entertainers and thieves, all of whom take the family name “Jade” to indicate their allegiance to the “life.”

The Preachers
Religious mendicants, tending to the needs of the flock. Whether they wear the stiff collar of The Ecclesiarchy (the state religion of the Empire), or serve the myriad of animist spirits, ascended immortals, and petty gods of the various folk beliefs, their concern is the spiritual well-being of their congregations.

The Wandering Stars
Itinerant philosophers, rootless warrior poets, and mystics seeking attunement with nature; all long held traditions culturally supported by the Empire, the members of which were hard pressed to make any sort of decent living whenever they drifted into the territories of the Periphery and on into the Far West.

The Foxglove Society
A secret society of assassins, hidden within the ranks of the Far West’s “sportin’ ladies” — prostitutes and courtesans. The Foxglove Society takes as its emblem the beautiful foxglove flower, source of the deadly poison digitalis. “Always respect a lotus girl,” the saying goes, “for you never know when she might actually be a Foxglove.”
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:48:13 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:16:29 am »

PTW :D
I sadly don't understand D&D [despite really wanting to play it]. ._.
Wishing this game well.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:23:04 am »

Wishing this game well.

You don't even HAVE to understand it. :P I specifically made it so you never even have to deal with numbers! It's the whole shtick!

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:33:35 am »

In in, looks like Red Steel 2. Making a character now
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:37:48 am »

PTWing this with greeeeat interest.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:44:13 am »

In. I'm going to make a cowboy, but first I want to see the chars everybody else makes.

Spoiler: Sal Liu (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:47:25 pm by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 11:55:22 am »

Name: Yhaesimus Khraine, Demon from Beyond the Sands
Job: Bounty Hunter (Preferred targets are those who misuse magic or are turned into monsters). He spreads rumors of his presence whenever he comes around town, and you must perform a ritual and leave a sum of money for him to hunt for you. He will leave a token for his employer when he finishes the job.
Personality: ((A brief description of your attitude, way of life, methods of thinking and problem-solving. Used in determing peoples reaction toward you, and if I have to decide what your character sees or acts in any situation. Also used to determine mental statistics.))
Biography: ((How came you to be in the Far West? Were you born here, or did you come here looking for something? Or, someone? Explain how you got here, and what you intend to do now. I.e, your story.))
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:11:23 pm by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 11:58:41 am »

Wishing this game well.

You don't even HAVE to understand it. :P I specifically made it so you never even have to deal with numbers! It's the whole shtick!
Game on then! :)
Sheet will be coming tomorrow since multitasking with movie making here makes me x_x
Late in the night. Still awake.

Especially when you say 'mix of American and Asian culture'. :3

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 12:04:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:20:23 am by kj1225 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 12:04:58 pm »

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:59:05 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 12:14:37 pm »

I didn't even say how players I was going to take! Ah well, let's see what comes of it...

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 01:00:34 pm »

Looks intresting, will post sheet
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 01:06:12 pm »

I put my character sheet up. I can't write a long biography because he's a young guy who's had an uneventful life until now, but he should be interesting to play.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 01:24:50 pm »

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:13:05 pm by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17