Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: (ISG) An Assassin In Narvir  (Read 8538 times)

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) An Assassin In Narvir
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 03:07:24 am »

Sure enough, there's a broken lantern in the hay. The reservoir has a small amount of oil left - hopefully enough to start a fire even if it starts raining.

The next time you are planning something like this, you'll bring some oil with you. The problem with this reservoir is that it has to be kept level or the oil will spill. Unless you take the whole lantern (and no one will be fooled into thinking that you're a lantern-bearer just because you're carrying one), you'll just have to move more carefully.

Now to decide the route to the castle. The quickest ways are via the main thoroughfares, past the merchant's quarter, or the docks.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 04:04:20 am »

Got a waterskin, maybe? Or a small bottle? Could put the oil in that.

Alternatively, do take the lantern along. Discreetly - wrap it in your cloak so it doesn't swing around or creak or anything. That way you can drop it somewhere and it'll look more like an accident.

Anyway, on to assassination in a hush-hush kinda way!

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 04:14:38 am »

I think we should go by the docks

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 04:16:14 am »

Docks, yeah! We'll be right at home among the cutthroats.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 11:51:41 am »

+1
Yeah, the others are more likely to be guarded.

+1

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 01:16:28 pm »

You bundle the broken lantern in your cloak with the hook and rope, hoping the oil doesn't leak into the cloth.

It doesn't take long to reach the docks. It's quiet, mostly. Hired thugs stand sentry by warehouses and piers, but they are easy enough to avoid until...

...watchmen. Only two of them. Seem to be complaining about their patrol.

"...rain coming."

"Rain? I've got my mind on other things."

"The poor sod from the other night?"

"Hmm. Patrol's dangerous enough as it is through the docks, now we've got a pack of wild dogs tearing people apart in the night."

"I heard it was a madman..."

They might take Prince Aldun's coin, but I doubt these men owe him much loyalty. They probably volunteered to take watch duty so they could afford to buy new shoes or food for a sick relative - now they're stuck tramping the streets after dark, enforcing the Prince's Peace.

Thunder peals. The rain is starting to fall.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 01:32:27 pm »

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 06:24:44 am »

Killing the watchmen would have been rash and foolish. Besides, you won't get paid for their lives - just Prince Aldun's.

You are near the gatehouse to the castle bridge. The portcullis is down and two men of Prince Aldun's household men-at-arms stand watch.

The portcullis - it's a crude, wooden affair. In Marir there are three portcullises before the keep and each one is made of solid, black iron. Tonight you will put Narvir back in its place.

The rain is little more than a sea fret, rattling lightly off the guards' helmets, but the growing thunder promises a downpour very soon. The men-at-arms are wearing gambesons and shortswords, each has a spear and a household insignia. There will be more men within shouting distance, probably sleeping in the gatehouse until it's their turn to stand guard.

They're coughing and sneezing, complaining about their duties and the coming storm.

"...foreigners get to sit by the fire and drink wine while we're out here in the cold."

"Did you see the bride's father? Never seen a man so fat ahorse."

The castle is on an island a short way into the bay. The bridge is the only real means of access unless you can swim.

You came by this way yesterday morning and noticed there is some scaffolding underneath the bridge that you might be able to climb over. After that it's just a matter of choosing a wall to scale with your rope and hook, stealing into the keep, finding the Prince's bedchamber or privy, and... well, the rest should come naturally.

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 10:41:19 am »

Alright... it looked safer in daylight. When it wasn't pelting it down and the wind wasn't rising to a gale.

Wooden boards hung by chains to the underside of the bridge - probably left by the masons who last made repairs to it. They should have taken the scaffolding away with them, but it looks like they had better things to do. They even left things behind - nails, a chisel, an old hammer...

So essentially you're relying on the handiwork of some unconscientious, probably irresponsible, masons and carpenters to get you across this chasm.

At least you are sheltered from the rain under thi-

You are almost across when one of the chain links snaps open. The scaffold bucks like a wild horse trying to throw you into the sea. It takes all your willpower not to cry out in surprise as you fling yourself at the far bank, fingers scrabbling for purchase.

The scaffold swings in the wind.

You climb shakily onto the bank. It takes a moment for you to calm yourself. Your rope, hook, and lantern are still wrapped in your cloak, thank the gods.

You take a deep breath and wait for your heart to stop beating so hard. Now how are you going to get onto the other side of the castle wall?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 11:36:51 am »

If we can scale the cliff on the north-eastern edge around that circular keep, we can climb up the blind spot on the north wall.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 11:46:42 am »

If were on the island then this
Climb with daggers. If one gets stuck, ditch it. Use places where the dagger made a dent as footholds.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 11:50:05 am »

Climb with daggers. If one gets stuck, ditch it. Use places where the dagger made a dent as footholds.

That is a completely terrible idea, especially since we have only one actual dagger and two shitty throwing knives. And also a grappling hook to make dagger-climbing completely unnecessary.

If we can scale the cliff on the north-eastern edge around that circular keep, we can climb up the blind spot on the north wall.

This however sounds like a plan.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 12:01:37 pm »

By dagger I meant throwing knives. Also I thought we have 3 knives? Whatever.

Actually, that's correct, we do - they're still way too small to climb with, though. Compare their size when holstered to the assassin's hand. That hole in them is just about big enough for a single finger and no more.

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 03:28:10 pm »

Three throwing knives and one Maririan dagger, one broken lantern with a leaking reservoir of lamp oil, a cloak, and a rope and hook.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 04:35:02 pm »

Pull yourself on over and put on your cloak. Then continue into the inside while making SURE no one sees us. Try to find the back entrance or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6