Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: (ISG) An Assassin In Narvir  (Read 8537 times)

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) An Assassin In Narvir
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 03:46:28 am »

Some people in Kethir still whisper prayers and curses to Avigna, the fire deity. Avigna is older even than the Old Gods, and her worship is considered barbaric and outdated. Still, you remember the words your milk-mother used to say before blowing out the candles at night, and repeat them in your head as you extinguish your own.

Cloak wrapped around you, you drop quietly into the street. More thunder rumbles in the distance. You need to proceed to the castle unseen, but you should look for lantern oil first.

Two likely spots jump to mind: one of the city's gatehouses and a nearby inn. There will be fewer people in the gatehouse, but the people there will be armed. The inn should be fairly quiet, and it's a fair bet that an idle-minded kitchen boy has left a lantern out somewhere. Which one would be the better wager, or is there somewhere else you can think of?

The main roads and thoroughfares will be patrolled by lantern-bearers, so it would be best to stick to the narrower alleys and streets. Should be quiet tonight with the storm coming. The only people out tonight will be those up to no good - yourself included.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 03:55:22 am »

Nab one from the inn, naturally. Then go about your business.

Although... do they hang out lanterns outside homes in this town? Might want to nab one of those instead.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 10:47:45 am »

Although... do they hang out lanterns outside homes in this town? Might want to nab one of those instead.

+1
+1

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 11:36:56 am »

+1
+1
+1

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 11:41:06 am »

Certain establishments - inns, taverns, brothels - might hang lanterns outside, but in a city with an after-dark curfew there's not much use for them. In Marir, people might light lanterns and candles outside their homes during the winter, when the skies go dark for weeks on end, but winter is a long way off now.

A traveller might also pay for a lantern-bearer to guide him through the city streets at night. A hazardous job. It's the only way to travel safely after dark without being cut down by the city watch. Anyone abroad at night without a lantern-bearer is assumed to be a criminal.

The inn is close. Most people should be asleep by now but you can hear singing. The innkeeper must have some guests who like to stay up late.

((Meatspace business calls - I'll illustrate the inn scene when I get back.))

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 12:21:52 pm »

Attempt to look around for an Inn but stay in the alleys. We may need to kill a few guards via strowing knives in order to get our lantern.

Or perhaps we could create  noise to distract them. IDK this lantern acquisition is going to be tough.

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 03:29:34 pm »

Finding the inn was easy enough. Now that you're closer you recognise the voices from the taproom as those of Rontollans.

Rontollans are a rowdy bunch at the best of time. You don't speak Dragon-Tongue, so you can't tell what they're singing, but if you had to put money on it you'd wager it was a rowing song or something bawdy.

Where would be the best place to find a lantern? A stable hand might have left one in the stables. It looks like the door to the kitchens is open - that might be a surer bet, so long as you are not seen.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 03:31:30 pm »

This is starting to get complicated, and if we mess up we might compromise the actual mission.

With that in mind, let's get to the actual mission. Maybe grab some hay if it happens to be dry enough and you can keep it dry enough for long.

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 03:47:55 pm »

PTW
I PTW anything that seems interesting

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 03:59:02 pm »

No we can do this. Lets go to the stables quitely and have our dagger at the ready. We'll hopefully just need to take it and go quickly but if we need to slip a throat we'll do that also.

KEEP STEALTHY

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 03:59:41 pm »

This is starting to get complicated, and if we mess up we might compromise the actual mission.

With that in mind, let's get to the actual mission. Maybe grab some hay if it happens to be dry enough and you can keep it dry enough for long.

If you pick up any hay, stick it in your cloak. It's hardly useful if it can't even keep something dry.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 04:09:27 pm »

No we can do this. Lets go to the stables quitely and have our dagger at the ready. We'll hopefully just need to take it and go quickly but if we need to slip a throat we'll do that also.

It's just some lantern oil. It's not worth slitting throats for. Especially since there's probably lanterns where we're going anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 04:35:33 pm »

Why do we want a lantern anyways? It's not like you can use one while you're climbing around. You'd have to hang it from your belt. It's likely to be really creaky and noisy, and chances are it'd get smashed while you're clambering up something.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 04:54:51 pm »

Why do we want a lantern anyways? It's not like you can use one while you're climbing around. You'd have to hang it from your belt. It's likely to be really creaky and noisy, and chances are it'd get smashed while you're clambering up something.

We were planning on using the oil to start fires.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 05:08:49 pm »

Oh I see.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6