Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stronghold - which one to play?  (Read 1466 times)

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev
Stronghold - which one to play?
« on: July 26, 2015, 12:15:52 pm »

Recently I felt like building a castle, so I looked at my collection of Stronghold franchise (I bought it in some bundle) and got paralyzed :D I don't remember which ones were good and which were pathetic (I clearly remember that their quality was drasticly varied).
Do I remember correctly that only first Stronghold, Crusader and Crusader Extreme were any good? And that Crusade 2 was not so good and Crusader 3 pathetic while Legends kind of average? I really don't remember :D
Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown - classic RPG (topic)
Stellar Monarch - 4X, no micromanagement, turn based (topic)
Homepage: http://www.silverlemurgames.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SilverLemur

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Stronghold - which one to play?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 12:18:08 pm »

My only regret is that I bought Stronghold 3 before Steam allowed refunds.  One of the worst games I've played, terribly balance, mediocre UI, no regard for how buildings/walls are placed in actual gameplay.  It's got a list of features that looks impressive, but in gameplay none of the features are fully formed or mesh well together.  0/10 do not recommend.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:23:00 pm »

Crusader and the original one are both great. Haven't played any of the others, mostly because people kept saying they were shit so there was no need to bother with them.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 12:31:11 pm »

I have only played through "Stronghold 1" but I can definitely recommend it, along with Crusaders.

The most recently released one, "Stronghold Crusaders II", is very similar to the original but it seems like it had a number of bugs and problems when it was released. Reviews on Steam are mixed but some people are saying bugs have been fixed. I would suggest only looking into that one if it is on sale.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 12:32:39 pm »

Stronghold 2 is pretty good, 3 is probably among the most shitty games ever made.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:35:34 pm »

I still find that funny tbh. They had a winning formula, the game was fun, awesome and pretty much universally liked by RTS folks (and everyone else, since almost all of my friends love it, and most of them have rarely played anything more complex than PES or CS). They then go to make sequels and apparently fail horribly every time for some reason.
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 12:44:01 pm »

Personally i thin k only 1 and Crusader were good. Mostly because how combat worked in SH2... where all your knights could stack on top of each other.
Sure it happened in the first game but it wasn't nearly as glaring in 2 where your pikemen fighting off wolves would turn into one entity i liked to call the "Omni-Spearman).

Honestly i really wish units took up space or something in those games...

And in SH2 you also had the near retarded hunting strat where all you ever built were hunter huts... EVERYWHERE.
Then sell the meat and buy weapons armors and whatever else you needed to win.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 12:44:46 pm »

BTW, it seems many of these can't be buy separately on Steam (like Stronghold 2 and Stronghold Crusaders Extreme you get only via the "Collection")? My Stronghold 2 store link leads to Stronghold HD (BTW, there was some madman who was giving names to all those sequels, you can't guess what is what and what should be played in what order without consulting a guide :D)
Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown - classic RPG (topic)
Stellar Monarch - 4X, no micromanagement, turn based (topic)
Homepage: http://www.silverlemurgames.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SilverLemur

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 12:48:17 pm »

Well to be fair you had the bakery bonanza in Crusaders. It took a couple of minutes to get rolling but after that you were set for anything you ever needed because holy crap so much bread.

Most of our comp-stomp games turned into the guys adjecent to the enemy holding out for the early game while the guys in the back built up their baking empire, then proceeded to buy everything ever and then get to the fun part of sieging the shit out of the AI.
AS - IG

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 01:31:53 pm »

I don't understand how people like Stronghold 1. Whenever I played, seemed like random events wiped out half my food/population/etc every few minutes and I couldn't do anything useful because I had to constantly double up all my infrastructure just to survive. Is there some trick to not having everything fall apart?
Nothing important here, move along.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 01:58:01 pm »

I don't understand how people like Stronghold 1. Whenever I played, seemed like random events wiped out half my food/population/etc every few minutes and I couldn't do anything useful because I had to constantly double up all my infrastructure just to survive. Is there some trick to not having everything fall apart?

Mostly diversification and a healthy stockpile.
If somethign wipes out your cows you still have bakeries and archards.
if your bakieries get wiped you have cows and orchards.
ETC.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 11:29:10 am »

My only regret is that I bought Stronghold 3 before Steam allowed refunds.  One of the worst games I've played, terribly balance, mediocre UI, no regard for how buildings/walls are placed in actual gameplay.  It's got a list of features that looks impressive, but in gameplay none of the features are fully formed or mesh well together.  0/10 do not recommend.

It was pretty bad.  I remember wolves climbing my archer tower ladders to eat my archers.   They just sorta hovered up like a harrier jet or something.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout