Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Are there GOOD Mobile games?  (Read 5629 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Are there GOOD Mobile games?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 08:13:46 am »

Because because everyone on bay12 games has the hots for mobile games. They make out with them all night long and can't take anyone besmirching their name.

Ohh wait no... because the main consumers of mobile games generally aren't the major consumers of other kinds. :P

Actually, heavy gamers are also likely to game on their phones.
This.

And a lot of so-called "casual games" get really freaking hard at the higher levels.

There's also things like Words with Friends and SongPop, if you don't mind your multiplayer action being at PBEM speeds.

I'm pretty sure Battle for Wesnoth has a tablet port. CCGs and tactical RPGs lend themselves well to tablets, being essentially a virtual tabletop.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 08:20:04 am »

What about Cytus? If you like rhythm games and electronic Japanese music, it's a good game, and its free!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 08:24:27 am »

Bad Piggies is a nice Build-Your-Own-Vehicle game.
Unlike Bad Rats, don't mix those two up.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 09:42:28 am »

for the mobile that are good and do not suck?

Try Ingress.
B-b-but MUH INDOORS!

Also Plague Inc. - it was originally mobile-only. It's basically Pandemic, but it has more plaguetype-specific mechanics, down to some that can only be unlocked by beating all normal ones on Hard that play completely different or have completely new progressions.

As far as ports go, yeah, can't go wrong with Wesnoth or KoDP for strategies; I just now learned The Last Express is ported but it appears to be a thoroughly unique adventure game (for once, it's real-time when you're playing - events happen even if you are not there to witness them).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 10:28:16 am »

You know one thing before everyone throws out a bunch of random recommendations is what tablet is it? (Android or ios[or fire OS bleh])

If it's $170 it's not iOS.  Most Android programs also work on Amazon's Fire tablets.
It could have been on sale or a refurbished tablet. ( as for fire OS, yes, it does allow most android apps to work, but it adds extra hassle plus a more restricted platform)

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 10:41:07 am »

Cytus or Deemo. Ludicrously tough Taiwanese rhythm games, and I love them to bits.
thincake

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 11:18:26 am »

I have World of Goo on my Android tablet. Though I played it on PC originally, it's the kind of game that's perfect for touch screen.

I also got DosBox Turbo working with Eye of the Beholder, that one works really well with touch once it was set up properly.

Although I mainly use my tablet (samsung galaxy tab 8') for reading manga, that I rip from sites with my custom ripping script (the script current runs on PC though). I never got into them before because reading manga on a web browser is really not cool.

Seconding PerfectViewer that was mentioned before, it's the best free comic reader (and does pdfs as well with a free plugin) and has tons of optons.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:25:46 am by Reelya »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 12:57:02 pm »

the problem with mobile games is just that, as it turns out, the only good thing about touch screens as an input device is size. and maybe being fairly intuitive for older folks.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 02:17:15 pm »

the problem with mobile games is just that, as it turns out, the only good thing about touch screens as an input device is size. and maybe being fairly intuitive for older folks.
Also, you can tap anywhere on the screen instantly without needing a mouse, which is good for games like, say, Cytus.
thincake

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 02:55:04 pm »

Hearthstone is really good. That's probably the mobile game my friends play the most right now. The new X-Com is also supposed to be pretty good.

I wish I could play more phone games, but my phone screen is too screwed up to do anything more demanding than typing.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 03:32:02 pm »

No. There are no good mobile games.

There's no good mobile anything. Why anybody thought it would be a good idea to overthink things and reinvent the wheel with mobile devices instead of just making a direct miniturization of a PC - running the same software on the same operating systems just with a little less ram, processor speed and drive space - is beyond me . (Thank god Microsoft at least seems to be taking some steps to correct this trend)

NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 03:36:14 pm »

Xenowar is a fun OldX-Com clone I have been having some fun with. It is a little fiddly, but enjoyable, doubly so if you like the OldCom.
This is a blank sig.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 03:36:28 pm »

I agree, touchscreens were a bad idea. Hopefully somebody will eventually come up with a better solution for the size issue.

(BTW, WTF is up with the desktops and laptops with touchscreens? Why would anybody need or want that? It's not like they lack space for a keyboard and mouse like smartphones do)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »

I agree, touchscreens were a bad idea. Hopefully somebody will eventually come up with a better solution for the size issue.

(BTW, WTF is up with the desktops and laptops with touchscreens? Why would anybody need or want that? It's not like they lack space for a keyboard and mouse like smartphones do)
but cytus
thincake

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 03:41:54 pm »

Joe Dever's Lone Wolf Remastered HD is a passable Lone Wolf story turned into a game for mobile devices.

I didn't end up recommending it on Steam (because of the price jump the port came with.) My review is the top negative one there, if you care to find out why I didn't recommend it. That said, it's richer in content and style than most mobile games I've looked at.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2] 3