Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1730657 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7020 on: September 09, 2018, 09:48:52 am »

Well, in Vanilla at least.  With something like New Ship Classes or something similar, the situation may prove to be different.

I don't know about that I think it's an issue with the mechanics that could only be fixed by a change to the mechanics. You don't take war exhaustion for losing a battle, only for losing ships and you only lose ships when they fail to retreat. The way the retreat mechanic works is that every hit a target takes at 50% health gives them a chance to escape so if you're trying to sandblast something even with all the possible disengagement maluses they're probably getting away. The end result is threefold 1) It's possible to kick ass all across the galaxy and lose your war because you never killed anyone 2) Taking big bites is the absolute best way to kill ships instead of inconveniencing them 3) Any ship that isn't designed to take huge bites out of the enemy (Like a PD ship) is increasing the chances that the enemy will live to fight another day. So just because of how those mechanics intersect you need to destroy ships, the best way to do that is BFG spam, and variety is necessarily suboptimal.

In other news I found an exploit: If you get your strategic resources from a sector and that sector runs out of energy you lose access to them automatically cancelling any trade deals you had going with them. If you trade a strategic resource for energy up front you can basically rip off your trade partner. It would actually be really neat if that hurt the other empires opinion of you. 

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: September 09, 2018, 04:47:42 pm »

Sitting here with +119 food despite trading 300 away to trade enclaves, as robotic Caretakers...
I'm still excited to see the pop rework, but especially to see some fun new glitches with edge cases like Rogue Servitors.

And uh maybe they'll finally allow us to trade away food, at the very least.  Being a machine = can't trade food to other realms... except enclaves...
It's almost an understandable oversight, except that they went out of their way to stop machines from trading food (why?) and it has this dumb side effect.  All they have to do is remove this arbitrary restriction.  And people pointed it out pretty quickly after Synthetic Dawn was released.

But they're busy, and I'm honestly looking forward to the pop rework a lot.

Edit: Not least because a lot of these freakin nutripaste factories were built on mineral land.  I disabled "always follow tile bonuses", I didn't mean "build food on mineral tiles BEFORE FOOD TILES"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:49:21 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: September 09, 2018, 10:31:15 pm »

I believe it was explicitly confirmed that machine empires would be able to trade food after the economy rework.  It is kind of weird that they can't trade it right now, since I would expect that to just be a limitation on determined exterminators since they won't do any trading with empires that would ever want food.  But then you just wouldn't grow any, so... why even code in such a restriction?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: September 09, 2018, 11:28:55 pm »

I believe it was explicitly confirmed that machine empires would be able to trade food after the economy rework.  It is kind of weird that they can't trade it right now, since I would expect that to just be a limitation on determined exterminators since they won't do any trading with empires that would ever want food.  But then you just wouldn't grow any, so... why even code in such a restriction?
Presumably to just hard block any exploits that might arise. Although to be fair I can't really think of any way to so agressively trade food you actually cause damage or help your own civ, considering you wouldn't be eating it.

Although machine empires can't even build farms, can they? Yeah, it's weird.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: September 10, 2018, 09:04:09 am »

Maybe it's related to the purported exploit of driving other empires into a downward food spiral.  I've seen more than one person report that giving too much food to another empire can cause them to stop focusing on food production short term, which leads to them under building their food production infrastructure long term, which in turn causes starvation and massive economic issues.

It's pretty funny if true since it's still easy for the AI to plan for a positive monthly food budget, and seems like a silly way to try to stop that exploit if it's the case, but I've heard of stranger things.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: September 10, 2018, 09:12:40 am »

I've heard that a lot myself, never bothered to test it myself, but considering how much the AI loves to go into infinite starvation I can believe it. It does seem just so weird though if it is possible, considering the sector AI just fucking LOVES to put down an infinite number of farms everwhere if it's allowed too, even when your empire has like 5k food stockpiled and like +300 per month coming in and are actually all robots, their only thought ever seems to be "more food". I wonder why normal AI doesn't have the same issues of committing to way too much food production.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: September 10, 2018, 09:22:32 am »

Although machine empires can't even build farms, can they? Yeah, it's weird.
Rogue Servitors are an exception, of course.  I guess their 5-food Nutrient Paste Facility could be considered OP, or "not fit for the galactic food market".  Enclaves like it just fine, though, and it's only an issue at all because the sector AI just WAY overshoots food production for whatever reason.

I don't know if its treating machine pops as eaters, or treating paste facilities as if they're basic hydroponics, but it's truly ridiculous.  Even more so than with normal empires.  It's bizarre that the AI has starvation issues when the sector AI is so obsessed with food surplus.  Again, it was building paste facilities on 2-mineral squares - I should have left "respect tile resources on", granted, but that's still weird.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: September 10, 2018, 09:28:48 am »

I imagine it's because Empire AI and Sector AI are coded differently and are thus different. Alternatively, the sector AI only looks at the sectors own resources instead of empire resources and constantly thinks it is out of food.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: September 10, 2018, 09:41:54 am »

I've read theories that sector AIs focus too much on food as a holdover from some early plans to have sectors be able to rebel, so the AI tries to make sure that the sector has enough food to support itself if it does rebel.  Was that ever a full feature in earlier versions of Stellaris?  I started with 2.0, so I have no idea.

In any case, if it's related it's still clearly bugged.  Sectors with 100 population shouldn't try to produce 200-300 food, and certainly not in a rogue servitor empire.  My guess is that there's some heuristic that the sector AI uses to decide what to build when the respect tile resources option is turned off, and the value is being badly miscalculated somewhere.

The good news is that this will probably all be redone in the planetary + economy rework patch.  Whether it'll actually be fixed is a different question, but there's hope.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: September 10, 2018, 10:25:47 am »

Playing with Potent rebellions, and I've gotten big enough to really start experimenting with ways to cause chaos. So far I've fomented rebellions, moderately armed them, and then once they've divided their empire in two I swoop in and thrash the divided, weakened territories into submission. Next plan is to inflict unrest by getting empires to trade away as much food as possible then gift them a sector FILLED with habitats that have been purged of all farms and filled with jerks.

To that end I've created my genetic masterwork: The Big Stupid Jellyfish. It's a non-nerve stapled offshoot of the Bakturian Meat Snail, the most popular livestock in the Commonwealth that is itself a nerve-stapled offshoot of the Bakturians whose attempt at a slave rebellion had less than positive results for their species. Just like the Meat Snail was engineered to be succulent, plentiful, and docile the BSJ's have been modded to be just the biggest dicks. They're a race of contrarian depressives who suck at farming and get bummed out when they don't have any slaves. I'm going to cram 78 of the bastards into six habitats in a border system and trade it to the fanatic xenophiles next door.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7030 on: September 10, 2018, 12:11:02 pm »

Still disappointed there aren't psychological traits like CKII, so you can predisposition kind pops to xenophilia, paranoid pops to xenophobia, zealous pops to spiritualism, cynical pops to materialism e.t.c.

It'd make locust pop'in AI empires even more hilarious, like a species of arsehole kind depressive slavers

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: September 11, 2018, 10:36:15 am »

Martin showing off some new techs on twitter:

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: September 11, 2018, 10:44:29 am »

What's most interesting to me is the mining station output increase. If there's enough of them to make the not Swiss cheese empire feel good to play, I'd be pretty happy.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: September 11, 2018, 10:55:26 am »

I would never do that simply because it's not aesthetically pleasing.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: September 11, 2018, 11:04:08 am »

Early and some of mid game I'm there with you, willing to accept penalties for a nice looking empire. Once you start getting big amounts of planet based research though and it gets to the point where you're like "holy shit, if I just delete all my owned systems, my research will triple." it becomes too much for me to not do it, and I think that's a shame.
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 632