Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1730608 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6975 on: August 31, 2018, 05:44:04 pm »

So how much does the AI cheat? Does it actually need resources? I've got an enemy fielding a nasty but slow battleship heavy defense and my ideal strategy would be to use multiple corvette fleets to target their energy producing systems, destroy everything in them, and then let the AI take them back while I do the same on the other side of the empire. If they're playing by the same rules I am I can gut their Energy per turn, wait for them to go into the red and then mop them up with my heavies after they're hobbled.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: August 31, 2018, 06:00:40 pm »

From what I've heard/seen, the AI doesn't cheat in resources. It gets reduced upkeep and so on to stretch them out further, but it can't conjure minerals or energy out of thin air like in some other games. So the strategy should be possible, though depending on how much they have stockpiled you might be waiting a while before they're hobbled.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6977 on: August 31, 2018, 06:03:31 pm »

AI uses the same economy the player does, but it does get 'cheats' as the difficulty goes up in the form of less upkeep etc

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: August 31, 2018, 06:05:46 pm »

According to the wiki on anything higher then the lowest difficulty level it gets a percentage increase to resource gain, which is pretty much conquering resources out of thin air.

It might still be possible to take out their energy production to cripple them, but you'll have to take out a lot more then you would against a player and they'll be able to rebuild a lot easier.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: August 31, 2018, 06:44:11 pm »

Yea but theyre also conjuring fleets out of their home system every year too.  Ive seen them summon corvettes out of their home systems in games where I war a federation so as to not have 100% exhaustion when I take all their land.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: August 31, 2018, 07:41:32 pm »

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Settings#Difficulty

Increases the difficulty of the game for a greater challenge, with higher difficulties granting bonuses to AI empires. Higher difficulty also increases the strength of the endgame crisis. Vassals of human players do not gain difficulty bonuses.

Ensign - AI empires receive no bonus modifiers, but have minor cheats such as lower gene-modding cost. Non-playable empires (NPCs) receive +33% ship weapon damage and +33% hull/armour/shield.
    Captain - AI empires receive +15% naval capacity/technology/unity and +25% energy/minerals/food. NPCs receive +50% ship weapon damage and +50% hull/armour/shield.
    Commodore - AI empires receive +30% naval capacity/technology/unity and +50% energy/minerals/food. NPCs receive +66% ship weapon damage and +66% hull/armour/shield.
    Admiral - AI empires receive +45% naval capacity/technology/unity and +75% energy/minerals/food. NPCs receive +75% ship weapon damage and +75% hull/armour/shield.
    Grand Admiral - AI empires receive +60% naval capacity/technology/unity and +100% energy/minerals/food. NPCs receive +100% ship weapon damage and +100% hull/armour/shield.
    Scaling - AI empires receive bonuses that start at zero and scale up, reaching +50% in naval capacity/technology/unity/energy/minerals/food at the End-Game year. NPCs receive bonuses that start at zero and scale up, reaching 50% ship weapon damage and +50% hull/armour/shield at the End-Game year (1% every 4 years if End-Game year is 2400).

I once joined a friend's game hotseat style. He was playing on Commodore difficulty and had only just started.

By taking over the AI I had such a huge advantage in terms of resources it was kinda silly. I then continued to play as normal and built as normal before leaving. (I didn't get any bonus resources while playing, only a giant chunk when starting).

My friend then told me that after I left, the AI which now had a player's hand in creating the foundation, combined with its own huge-ass resource boosts, became the most powerful force in the galaxy.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: August 31, 2018, 08:17:37 pm »

So I'm starting a new game of Stellaris, and I was wondering. What mods are you guys using? I got a few already, but I feel like I'm still missing something that I used to have, though I don't know what it is. And you guys have some taste besides.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: August 31, 2018, 09:23:03 pm »

So I'm starting a new game of Stellaris, and I was wondering. What mods are you guys using? I got a few already, but I feel like I'm still missing something that I used to have, though I don't know what it is. And you guys have some taste besides.

Gigastructures is probably my favorite right now, if only because it lets me goof around at end game and make tons of concentric ringworlds and so forth.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: August 31, 2018, 10:20:15 pm »

According to the wiki on anything higher then the lowest difficulty level it gets a percentage increase to resource gain, which is pretty much conquering resources out of thin air.

It might still be possible to take out their energy production to cripple them, but you'll have to take out a lot more then you would against a player and they'll be able to rebuild a lot easier.

The actual calculation that I saw is that the AI pays less upkeep, they don't directly get more resources. Though maybe they actually do get more AND pay less upkeep now?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: August 31, 2018, 11:47:22 pm »

So my latest pointless war has shown me that my AI allies don't quite understand the concept of coordination. They have a tiny fleet on standby right next to a hostile system, I have a massive fleet on the other side of the galaxy about three years away. I order my fleet to follow theirs so I can support them without actually micromanaging anything. The AI is elated to have my support and immediately attacks the other system. Ai is slaughtered, war is lost.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: September 04, 2018, 08:58:25 am »

star trek: new horizons

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: September 04, 2018, 12:43:50 pm »

I've been meaning to check that mod out for a long time.  It's extremely well done, from what I gather, and I was a big fan of Birth of the Federation way back in the day.

In other news, I finally had someone declare war on me outside of the War in Heaven.  But... it was just because the Contingency corrupted the ancient caretakers, and they declared war on me despite being on opposite sides of the galaxy.  Fighting them has been a challenge since only one empire has built a gateway "near" them at about 400 days of travel away, and I'm just lucky that the crisis is going so I could even use said gateway due to everyone opening their borders.

The Contingency has been surprisingly potent this time around.  I increased the crisis difficulty to 2x so it would fare better against the AI and actually expand some, but it really hasn't done a great job of that.  On the other hand, the Contingency has beaten me pretty soundly in individual combats.  I've had to replace 75%+ of my navy after each sterilization hub since my 400K worth of ships barely beats their 300K defense fleets.  I thought I'd do better since my ships are penetration geared and stack dark matter deflectors for defense, but the ships keep doing stupid things like focusing on the AI cores while the defense fleet slaughters them.  I've had to rebuild my entire navy and return to sterilization hubs twice to finish them off because my badly depleted fleets were 1200+ days of travel from the nearest ship yard for reinforcements when two or more roaming fleets wandered in to the hub system while they were bombing it.  I probably should have jump drived away but I wasn't sure that the drives would engage in time and didn't even try it.

I also probably should have just built way over my naval cap and ignored the negative energy production, since that beats spending 100K+ minerals to replace my ships.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: September 04, 2018, 05:48:02 pm »

Occupied an enemy pulsar and devoured the mineral wealth of half a dozen world's to kit it out with a full compliment of custom defense platforms boasting the thickest armor and the most vicious anti-armor anti-hull weapons possible to capitalize on the shield cancelling effect on the system. An massive enemy fleet tried to claim it and despite being mathematically superior they might as well have been fighting a woodchipper. With their fleet temporarily out of commission I blitzed every system I could and bing bang pow I have a brand new tributary.

Jokes on me because when I got their communications I realized they're right beside a fallen empire that doesn't share my views on galactic subjugation. I was careful to claim the pulsar before they surrendered and it's in a choke point for the FE. I will build it bigger I will make it meaner and I will name it Thermopolyae and then, when the time is right I will poke god in the eye.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: September 04, 2018, 05:54:23 pm »

I've been meaning to check that mod out for a long time.  It's extremely well done, from what I gather, and I was a big fan of Birth of the Federation way back in the day.

Best thing going for it is its density. Lots of extra events and flavor and anomalies and ship designs etc. Especially for the Alpha Quadrant. I disagree with how they implemented a few features of the Dominion and Borg, but mostly it's great. Slow, though.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: September 04, 2018, 06:12:24 pm »

Jokes on me because when I got their communications I realized they're right beside a fallen empire that doesn't share my views on galactic subjugation. I was careful to claim the pulsar before they surrendered and it's in a choke point for the FE. I will build it bigger I will make it meaner and I will name it Thermopolyae and then, when the time is right I will poke god in the eye.
Cuuuuuuue jump drives!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 632