Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1730761 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6165 on: March 19, 2018, 02:29:33 pm »

Yeah, I wasn't kidding about the 1 million strong swarm fleets guys. It's scary. I don't think you're intended to win against 5x crisis strength
It actually reminds me of AI war actually. Like, the whole gameplay at this point is about not pissing off the contingency and turtling and praying for help.

I posted about it earlier but I managed to finish my Dyson Sphere and I started spamming fabricators everywhere SupCom-style. Now I can actually afford to spam suicide stacks of 2x100k fleet strength torpedo corvettes and handle the 170k regular fleets roaming around. But I still have no clue how to punch through the Contingency homeworlds with the above defending garrisons. I tried to suicide it like I said, but each homeworld not only has a spaceport but one of those AI cores that is super tanky. So my suicide fleet gets wiped out by the 500k defense garrison before my second strike team can even kill the core. And even if I kill the core, I have to bomb the planet.

So I need to turtle EVEN LONGER and slowly jack up those repeating techs until I breach 200k fleet strength per corvette fleet or something.

Also the wiki is outdated on the Contingency.

Defensively the fleets don't use armor but will regenerate, and they focus entirely on shields

This is not true any more. They have 50/50 shields and armour.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: March 19, 2018, 02:31:32 pm »

so heres a question

if paradox ups the slider to 10x, will you try to beat that, too?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6167 on: March 19, 2018, 02:37:52 pm »

so heres a question

if paradox ups the slider to 10x, will you try to beat that, too?
I mean... I would TRY. I always try things. There's no reason not to try. Failing is how you learn. At this point I can reliably beat the AI on hard difficulty most of the time, so the endgame crisis is the biggest challenge left to work out.

Although the new midgame khanate crisis caught me unawares a few times and nearly took me out.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: March 19, 2018, 03:33:31 pm »

Excuse me if I take that with less than a grain of salt.  I know they can go over fleet cap, but I've never seen going over command limit.
From my current game, which is making me shit my pants:

That's AFTER I tried to suicide run that world without realizing each planet comes with a giant-ass fortress defending it too. Hence the slightly reduced fleet size.

Reddit post at 5x crisis strength:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1.4 million fleet strength. You don't get a boost by the way so you're stuck at fleet cap.
[/quote]

Given that's a Crisis fleet and the presence of the number 007, I'm pretty sure that isn't breaking command limit.  The Crisis level you've set things to is just that powerful with a single fleet.

Hell, looking at the command limit of the second image, it is actually perfectly at the maximum of 200.  Each battleship provides 16, and with 10 that's 160, while the Destroyers provide 2 apiece, which totals up to 40.  Combined with the last, 200.  AI's not cheating with that fleet power, and you can likely reach it yourself with the same template and enough of the repeatable techs.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: March 19, 2018, 04:07:03 pm »

Hell, looking at the command limit of the second image, it is actually perfectly at the maximum of 200.  Each battleship provides 16, and with 10 that's 160, while the Destroyers provide 2 apiece, which totals up to 40.  Combined with the last, 200.  AI's not cheating with that fleet power, and you can likely reach it yourself with the same template and enough of the repeatable techs.

How about that fleet behind it with 25 battleships and 50 destroyers?

Also battleships are 8 and destroyers are 2. Not 16 (titans.) and 8.

25x8=200 50x2=100= They have a command limit on that fleet of 300, over the command limit by 100.

x5 crisis strength looks like it'd be beatable in a multiplayer game. 5-6 players, especially if they were in a number of federations,could probably beat that without going over 1000 command point limit. Once the 1000 command point limit is removed it seems like it'd be a lot more possible for a single player to take it out, if they were willing to micro that many planets. My personal limit is about 30 planets per game, after which the micro of moving pops around crushes my tiny soul so much that I can't keep it up. So I won't be attempting to beat it on my own anytime soon.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:09:16 pm by Criptfeind »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: March 19, 2018, 04:58:03 pm »

To be honest, I haven't used sectors at all since the very beginning. Now that it's core systems instead of core planets, and you can increase the amount more easily, I rarely find it worthwhile to exceed the cap.
I don't know how you do that. I end up with hundreds of planets in most playthroughs, across dozens of systems.
Plenty of purging. And I use habitats.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: March 19, 2018, 07:11:13 pm »

Given that's a Crisis fleet and the presence of the number 007, I'm pretty sure that isn't breaking command limit.  The Crisis level you've set things to is just that powerful with a single fleet.

Not only are you looking at the wrong thing, have the wrong numbers, screwed up the quote function, and misunderstood the point of the post, my crisis level is 1. I didn't mess with it. I only changed difficulty to max.

So that's the number most everyone fights.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: March 19, 2018, 07:26:51 pm »

Well you used poor sentence structure, so obviously

I've been on a soap box before raving that the AI outright cheats and that crisis strength is broken. They are often insurmountable. It's fine if they are difficult, but it should not be actually impossible to achieve a victory condition.

I've had superior land area, navel capacity, and tech to a awakened empire (in pre-2.0) and had them suddenly whip out a fleet 3x the power of mine and have no problems maintaining it. This sort of thing has been a problem for a long time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: March 19, 2018, 07:49:49 pm »

My personal limit is about 30 planets per game, after which the micro of moving pops around crushes my tiny soul so much that I can't keep it up. So I won't be attempting to beat it on my own anytime soon.

I know your pain. My current playthough is with a hivemind, and if I let the sector AI to its own devices it'll move the very strong, nervestapled, industrious, agrarian worker caste onto laboratories and the like when it really should know better. Outside of that though I'm fairly happy with the job it does. If I only have one kind of pop it tends to do a fairly good job of managing the whole thing.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: March 20, 2018, 12:13:58 am »

Well you used poor sentence structure, so obviously

I've been on a soap box before raving that the AI outright cheats and that crisis strength is broken. They are often insurmountable. It's fine if they are difficult, but it should not be actually impossible to achieve a victory condition.

I've had superior land area, navel capacity, and tech to a awakened empire (in pre-2.0) and had them suddenly whip out a fleet 3x the power of mine and have no problems maintaining it. This sort of thing has been a problem for a long time.
Has it? I've only ever fought the extradimensional guys and they weren't this bad.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: March 20, 2018, 04:37:59 am »

What was your galaxy size?  Crises scale to be able to take on the whole galaxy.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: March 20, 2018, 06:07:47 am »

Can someone please tell Paradox that I don't want all of the 10 splinter states currently around in my game to be coloured black and gray?
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: March 20, 2018, 08:21:48 am »

What was your galaxy size?  Crises scale to be able to take on the whole galaxy.

I think this is a big issue and a bad idea with how they've made it. The AI doesn't fight together effectively. MORE AI nations does not help against the end game crisis, even if they are in a big mega federation they'll rarely help each other. It just means more room for the crisis to spread itself and grow further without having to face actual opposition like a player or an awakened empire (which can sometimes sorta help.) Unless the player goes all out and conquers the whole galaxy before the crisis triggers, I'd go so far as to say that the Crisis is naturally stronger, not weaker, in a larger galaxy. But it scales as if the larger galaxy would mean it's proportionately weaker somehow.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: March 20, 2018, 08:38:12 am »

The AI cheating is known and documented.The AI pays half maintenance costs for their fleets. 

The fact that they're apparently doubling down on that by letting the AI cheat to surpass the fleet limit is disappointing, but not surprising.  Wiz is a big ol' liar, apparently, and that's that.  He told players for a long time the AI did not cheat at all, and here we see he programmed it to actually cheat even more now. That's.... weird.  People assume 4X AIs cheat, they kind of need to generally to compete with humans, so why lie about it?

So I'm playing the 2.02 beta, and in some ways I kind of like the direction they've taken war exhaustion, separating out occupation completely, so war exhaustion is just something that goes up, never down with territory changing hands.  However, the point system still doesn't really work.

For example, in a recent game, I decided to vassalize a neighbor.  Naturally, they said no, so naturally we went to war.  After invading and taking over every single system and planet and blowing up every single ship they didn't have enough exhaustion to surrender.  Like... surrender? It's already over, and the game used to realize this and allow you to force a surrender in that situation.
So I had to just wait a while, until their exhaustion ticked up enough on its own to push them over the magic number and allow surrender. 

That's absurd.  I wasn't trying to wipe them out, I was trying to make them my vassals.  Just showing up with my navy should have scared them into surrender, I had like 10x the strength of them.  Certainly blowing up every last one of their warships, science vessels, and construction ships should have made their decision easy.  Certainly the fact that I occupied their capital was something they should have been worried about...  They should have been thrilled I was offering both my protection and access to my fantastic tech... Instead the AI insisted on being completely stomped, which obviously puts them further from victory.

Needing to go so far above and beyond just winning the war is kind of silly.  I understand territory wars are much more straightforward, basically if you claim it and you occupy it, it's yours, which makes sense. 

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: March 20, 2018, 09:57:51 am »

I defeated one of the Reaper hubs. The ones with the 80k defensive AI core and the 300 fleet size fleet.

I sent in 600 torpedo Corvettes twice. The Reapers don't replenish those defensive fleets so you can wear them down in wars of attrition.

Incidentally torpedo Corvettes are the only thing that seems to work against them. That and disruptor Corvettes. They have too many shields and armor and anything larger than a Corvette is vaporized by their big guns due to lack of evasion.

I'm not sure if this pissed then off but I have noticed they are attacking me a lot more now.
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 632