Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1726286 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2700 on: May 28, 2016, 04:38:11 pm »

It does weird me out a bit seeing my guys regularly scoot around black hole singularities like it's nothing

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: May 28, 2016, 08:50:31 pm »

Imagine starting the game and realizing some other empire has already settled mars, and they contact you to say "this whole system belongs to you, except Europa. Set no foot there."
Is that a translation problem? Clearly they meant "except Mars"? :P
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: May 28, 2016, 08:57:33 pm »

Imagine starting the game and realizing some other empire has already settled mars, and they contact you to say "this whole system belongs to you, except Europa. Set no foot there."
Is that a translation problem? Clearly they meant "except Mars"? :P
As parasitic tapeworms, they highly encourage you to colonize mars so they can colonize you

They're space friends

But seriously don't fucking go to Europa, Erik lives there. You don't want to meet Erik.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: May 28, 2016, 10:16:04 pm »

So, on a whim I decided to observe a galaxy on max speed. About 10 minutes in, I saw a new empire pop up, a primitive nation that had just gained FTL.

The location was the best part. Right slap bang in the middle of a Xenophobic Isolationist FE. They didn't last long.
Heh, neat.

I kind of expected black holes and pulsars to be more interesting. If nothing else, it would be interesting if a high-level tech would give you the option to build singularity stabilizers and use black holes as cross-galactic shortcuts.
It does weird me out a bit seeing my guys regularly scoot around black hole singularities like it's nothing
A huge part of the problem is probably that weird stellar phenomena tend to be relatively alone, so there's just not that many opportunities for interesting stuff. At a bare minimum, making them way more likely to give research bonuses would be nice. More interestingly, making them heavy risk vs reward type situations where you can do fascinating work but at the risk of terrible consequences would be awesome.

Speaking of which: Nebulas. I guess they slow movement speed or something? They don't need to do anything fancy, but it's kind of weird at the moment that the game bothers to name them and then you (or at least I) can't even notice the difference in or out of one.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: May 29, 2016, 06:36:58 am »

Certain resources are only find from nebulae and dust clouds. Likewise, some end-game resources are mainly found in black hole or pulsar systems. I kind of miss having more strategic reasons for wanting certain systems, though. Maybe we get those in Heinlein when they spice up the middle game in general.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: May 29, 2016, 12:40:01 pm »

So, i saw 3 empire at war about to be vassalised by another bigger empire, i promptly built a coule tech 3 wormhole station to be able to reach the space *nazy* and war decced them, ill bash their heads in i will be the galactic freedom fighter! My goal was to form a federation with the 3 being attacked, they like me!.

Went to the bed guy homeworld and wrecked his force and homeworld, pulverized his navy and defense like there was nothing with only minimal loss on my side, war took about 6 months tops and i won. Open up the diplomacy window, go see the *victims* who was at war... They frigging hate me like im the frigging galactic black plague or something. Treat giving -180 point and doesnt seem to tick down.

Never saw anything that stupid... Kick a galactic bully real hard and get ire of their victimcs O.O...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2706 on: May 29, 2016, 01:44:48 pm »

Certain resources are only find from nebulae and dust clouds. Likewise, some end-game resources are mainly found in black hole or pulsar systems. I kind of miss having more strategic reasons for wanting certain systems, though. Maybe we get those in Heinlein when they spice up the middle game in general.
From what I understand, they might have done well to release later and include Heinlein. Colony events sound like a big and kind of important change.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: May 29, 2016, 02:11:47 pm »

So, i saw 3 empire at war about to be vassalised by another bigger empire, i promptly built a coule tech 3 wormhole station to be able to reach the space *nazy* and war decced them, ill bash their heads in i will be the galactic freedom fighter! My goal was to form a federation with the 3 being attacked, they like me!.

Went to the bed guy homeworld and wrecked his force and homeworld, pulverized his navy and defense like there was nothing with only minimal loss on my side, war took about 6 months tops and i won. Open up the diplomacy window, go see the *victims* who was at war... They frigging hate me like im the frigging galactic black plague or something. Treat giving -180 point and doesnt seem to tick down.

Never saw anything that stupid... Kick a galactic bully real hard and get ire of their victimcs O.O...

But you are stronk, so this means, that you can do whatever you want with them. That is reason to be aware of you.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: May 29, 2016, 02:14:41 pm »

Modern AI aren't very good at discerning circumstance.  As far as they're concerned you beat up their neighbor and they're next.

Once your threat goes down though they'll be besties with you. Small nations love allying with big ones.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: May 29, 2016, 03:17:41 pm »

In other Paradox games you can intervene in wars. I hope they add that in later patches, perhaps tie it into certain ethos and/or government and make it a policy choice. It would be nice to be able to play galactic police and sometimes be aided by others when you are being bullied. You can guarantee independence now, but that is different from intervening in already existing wars.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: May 29, 2016, 05:07:36 pm »

In other Paradox games you can intervene in wars. I hope they add that in later patches, perhaps tie it into certain ethos and/or government and make it a policy choice. It would be nice to be able to play galactic police and sometimes be aided by others when you are being bullied. You can guarantee independence now, but that is different from intervening in already existing wars.
Maybe if i had garanteed independace first would have helped. But yeah im peacefull fanatic materialist if i remember right in that game, but when i saw the guy being an ass to 3 other smaller empire with barely anything to defend themself i was fuck it, your gone, they will like me and join my alliance soon to bbe federation....

Sadly turns out, they are now scared as hell of me, when all i wanted was to help them :(.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:10:22 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: May 29, 2016, 05:19:02 pm »

So another empire appeared.   Telling me to bugger off and that they are super ancient.
Pretty much immediately after they demanded that I abandon all of my planets. Literally all of them.  I told them to fuck off.

They declared war.  I set up my fleets to defend and.... well... multiple 20k power fleets suddenly appeared at every planet I owned, wiped the floor with my 500 power fleet (singular) without taking a single hit,  and took over.

I'm guessing these are the precursors I keep hearing so much about.   So yea.  What dipshit retarded fuckwit thought a random "fuck you, you lose, not a goddamn thing you can do about it" is a good gameplay decision? 

I can see them maybe lategame, when it's possible there might be some big alliances around that have a snowball's chance in hell of fighting back, but right at the start?  WTF Devs?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:20:42 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: May 29, 2016, 06:06:12 pm »

Maybe next time refrain from hitting "insult" on the diplomacy screen?  ;)

They don't develop enough hostile relations from the initial meeting unless you DoW, and they won't attack you after that (generally) unless you colonize really close to them. I've yet to get ganked by a single fallen empire because I scout before settling, send embassies to them, and don't fuck with them until I'm ready for it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: May 29, 2016, 06:10:09 pm »

Well, since Grieger's experience mirrors my own (with the exception of the vacate or else message), only a few pages prior, then I'd say that you are either wrong or the game has substantial glitches when it comes to handling that behavior.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: May 29, 2016, 06:20:09 pm »

Despite my phrasing, I never actually insulted them.  From what I can gather, they were militaristic fanatic xenophobes, and my spawn was too close to their spawn. 

My survey ship apparently found their homeworld, I think for punishment for having a ship in their territory they demanded that I abandon planets close to their territory, which was of course, all of them.  I refused, they declared war shortly after, gg, no re.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 632