Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1727323 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2070 on: May 13, 2016, 01:05:21 pm »

How does oversized ship work?
What means - 100 % to shields on energy torpedoes if they have 100 % shield bypassing already?

It is a single ship you can build per ruler. Unfortunately it is pretty boring and only has increased hull points, to my understanding.

Some weapons bypass shields, some weapons do extra damage to shields. If a weapon has both I guess it means it passes through shields and damages them with a multiplier from its base damage at the same time.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 13, 2016, 01:09:02 pm »

Protip: As a Xenophobe, don't allow aliens to migrate into your empire.

...especially if you're independent minded and thus can't forcefully relocate them.  We in the Space Confederacy (version 1) support individual rights, even among xeno scum, and find it therefore better to kill them than force them to relocate.  For Humanity!

I was trying to make a nation like Revolutionary War United States, where individual rights were essential for the White Man, but the Black Man was a slave.  Then realized it would probably be more like the Confederacy, and made it an oligarchy.  For the record, the ideal mix is Individual 1, Xenophobe 2, then your empire is ok with enslaving Xenos.  At 1 each, they still protest, giving a Post-Civil War America where slavery is frowned upon but the Prime Species still doesn't want to live next to the Others.  Sadly, the only solution seems to be going Nazi.  I'm probably going to fiddle around with migration first (the xenos we let in are still friends, and I'd like to use them as a buffer for offensive wars, so the empire I'm invading can't attack me but I can cripple them).

EDIT: You CAN forcefully resettle Slaves as Indy 1.  So I can move all the xenos off the prime worlds, but I need to limit their migration first.  And probably consider just releasing their penal colony as a vassal.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 13, 2016, 01:28:27 pm »

I used to think the same thing about Frontier Outposts. It was either waste one of my 5-7 precious colony slots grabbing some useful resources or take the 2 Influence hit to build a outpost, neither of which seemed worth it. Then I realized I could just throw all my developed planets into a sector with a 75% tax and use the freed up colony slots to start another wave of land grabs. Now I barely use Frontier outposts unless I need to grab an area of space that has no habitable planets.

You are tanking your research. Research costs increase with empire size, so having lots of undeveloped planets is baaaaaad. Especially so if they are planets with no research potential whatsoever.

I kind of think they made frontier posts expensive and with a hard limit on purpose to push us towards warfare, though, both for resource systems, pre-ftl civs and better borders.

Oh goddammit that explains so much. No wonder I've been forced to use zerg rushing to win all my wars.

For every population past 10, the modifier for research costs is increased by +2%. So at 60 population your paying 200% of research costs. Keep in mind this is a flat +2% addition to the modifier. It's not 1.02 * (X * 1.02), where X is the base cost.

Say at 10 pop you were generating 15 for all three sciences types. To keep the same research rate as you had at 10, when you have 60 population, you need to generate an additional 15 research in each category.

Assume you divided that 50 population across just three 17 tile planets (Rounding up a bit to 51 pop). That means each planet, when fully developed, needs to generate 15 science. A tile with just a basic science lab, ignoring the tiles natural resource, generates 3 science.  That's 5 of the 17 tiles on a planet dedicated to labs to eat the research deficit for the local pop. Not a huge sacrifice for the minerals and energy you get from expanding.

Not only have I ignored the labs tile resource (You should be building labs on sciences tiles anyways) here, but I've also ignored the additional science gained from building research stations in the systems adjacent to the new colony. In addition there are plenty of positive, percentile modifiers to your science gains mid to late game and you can upgrade you science labs to compensate as well.

What this essentially means is that a large nation and small nation can relatively compete tech wise. IE: Small nation that spends 30% of its income on science == Large nation that spends 30% of its income on science.

In short, you're fine expanding if you just make sure to not neglect your science income.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:42:16 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: May 13, 2016, 01:37:51 pm »

Ehm, so to prevent my ais from going rogue... I have to wipe out every not primitive nation?

Welp, stellaris is so bugged, that even some console commands are bugged and not working, wew.

Do kinetic weapons get stopped by shielding?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 13, 2016, 01:39:26 pm »

in the  long term, it is fine. The problem is if you start spamming colonies everywhere like if it was Civ 3. Sure, after they are well developed you will beat those who stayed small. But for a while, you will develope slower. Expansion makes you more powerful, but the game punishes you for fast overextension. As soon as players adjust, that should no longer be much of a problem.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: May 13, 2016, 01:47:28 pm »

in the  long term, it is fine. The problem is if you start spamming colonies everywhere like if it was Civ 3. Sure, after they are well developed you will beat those who stayed small. But for a while, you will develope slower. Expansion makes you more powerful, but the game punishes you for fast overextension. As soon as players adjust, that should no longer be much of a problem.

Why would you develop slower? When you start a colony you only have 1 population on the planet, so it's only a 2% addition to science modifier. As long as you make every 3rd of 4th improvement a lab, you completely offset the modifier. The ONLY downside to starting a colony in this game is the temporary Energy Credit deficit you experience while the colony is being set up on the planet and that's temporary. It's easy to offset the lost credits in a couple months as well, as long as you build a power plant on the new colony or a mining station on a nearby Energy Credit node.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:52:47 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2076 on: May 13, 2016, 01:55:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Found it quite funny that a little Myrran outpost was found orbiting outside one of my planets, the Myrrans are extinct now :D

My genocidal rampages have made me the enemy of most of the galaxy, the only people who don't hate me are some sort of capitalist humans who are more scared than hateful and the Rekthalar Unity - a fallen Empire that finds my genocidal rampages the cute actions of misguided children (seriously they get an opinion bonus every time I genocide people). I've found the federations have been getting larger and larger and even my fuckhueg Empire is reaching its limits, so I may need to adjust strategy to years of orbital bombardment followed by gulag planet on the survivors

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: May 13, 2016, 01:56:27 pm »

I have made a Dwarf Fortress name list for Stellaris. There is definitely still some room for more names, but I think I've covered pretty much every important name type. If anyone is interested in using it, here it is:

Code: [Select]
DWA1 = {
selectable = yes

ship_names = {
generic = {
"Battleaxe" "Warhammer" "Shield" "Buckler" "Shortsword" "Spear" "Helm" "Crossbow" "Mace" "Gauntlet" "Glove" "Cloak" "Boot" "Breastplate" "Lash" "Dagger" "Pick" "Beard" "Sock" "Tunic" "Bow"
}

corvette = {
"Badger" "Warthog" "Eagle" "Raven" "Buzzard" "Ocelot" "Moose" "Kangaroo" "Wild Boar" "Elk" "Emu" "Coyote" "Deer" "Capybara" "Beak Dog" "Mamba" "Fox" "Copperhead"
}

constructor = {
"Megaproject" "Mason" "Megafortress"
}

colonizer = {
"Wagon" "Spring Caravan" "Summer Caravan" "Autumn Caravan" "Strike the Earth"
}

science = {
"Unfortunate Accident" "Happy Fun Stuff" "Kitten Apocalypse" "Cavern Collapse" "Catsplosion" "!!Science!!" "Magma"
}

destroyer = {
"Yeti" "Elephant" "Tiger" "Leopard" "Giant Eagle" "Grizzly Bear" "Black Bear" "Jaguar" "Hyena" "Lion" "Polar Bear" "Giant Python" "Gorilla" "Giraffe" "Honey Badger" "Jackal" "Wolf"
}

cruiser = {
"Blind Cave Ogre" "Cave Crocodile" "Plump Helmet Man" "Trogdolyte" "Cave Blob" "Giant Cave Spider" "Giant Cave Swallow" "Cave Dragon" "Hungry Head" "Jabberer" "Pond Grabber" "Draltha"
}

battleship = {
"Forgotten Beast" "Titan" "Bronze Colossus" "Hydra" "Dragon" "Roc" "Cyclops" "Ettin" "Giant" "Minotaur" "Centaur" "Chimera" "Griffon"
}

orbital_station = { }
mining_station = { }
research_station = { }
wormhole_station = { }
terraform_station = { }
observation_station = { }
outpost_station = {
sequential_name = "%O% Frontier Outpost"
}

transport = {
}

military_station_small = {}
military_station_medium = {}
military_station_large = {}
}

fleet_names = {
random_names = {
"The Gloved Lightnings" "The Laborious Stones" "The Barricaded Doctrines" "The Elevated Rocks" "The Mechanical Planets" "The Turquoise Tusks" "The Laborious Nourishment" "The Hopeful Pages" "The Savage Merchants" "The Honest Rags" "The Messianic Papers" "The Creative Robustness" "The Infinite Clasps" "The Indigo Fortresses"
}
sequential_name = "%O% Squadron"
}

### ARMIES
army_names = {
defense_army = {
sequential_name = "%O% Dwarven Militia"
}

assault_army = {
sequential_name = "%O% Dwarven Berserkers"
}

slave_army = {
sequential_name = "%O% Subjected Army"
}

clone_army = {
sequential_name = "%O% Hauler Brigade"
}

robotic_army = {
sequential_name = "Mecha-Dwarf %R%"
}

android_army = {
sequential_name = "Andwarf Forces %R"
}

psionic_army = {
sequential_name = "%O% Psi-Dwarf Brigade"
}

xenomorph_army = {
sequential_name = "%O% Xeno Squad"
}

gene_warrior_army = {
sequential_name = "%O% Science Army"
}
}

planet_names = {

# Names that can be assigned to all planet types
generic = {
names = {
"Boatmurdered" "Ironhold" "Icehold" "Headshoots" "Battlefailed" "Gemclod" "Ardentdikes" "Skyscrapes" "Necrothreat" "Spearbreakers" "Nist Akath" "Oceanbridge" "Brightwater" "Bronzemurder" "Flarechannel" "Copperblazes" "Soaplanterns" "Sparkgear" "Syrupleaf" "Deathgate" "Moltenchannels" "Breadbowl" "Murdermachines" "Towersoared" "Amberjewel" "Doomforest" "Cowpastures" "Watergate" "Breadbowl"
}
}

pc_desert = {
names = {
}
}

pc_arid = {
names = {
}
}

pc_tropical = {
names = {
}
}

pc_continental = {
names = {
}
}

pc_ocean = {
names = {
}
}

pc_tundra = {
names = {
}
}

pc_arctic = {
names = {
}
}
}

### CHARACTERS

character_names = {
default = {
# A complete name
full_names = {
}

# Always combined with a second name
first_names = {
"Urist" "Cog" "Zon" "Ral" "Zuntir" "Lokum" "Udib" "Udil" "Unib" "Deduk" "Rakust" "Thudib" "Nikot" "Sedil" "Rulroth" "Alod" "Geb" "Zareth" "Olum" "Atul" "Tholtig"
}

# Always combined with a first name
second_names = {
"Olondatur" "Mamotmosus" "Athamoltar" "Idust" "Olonmuzish" "Momuzdodok" "Thakdoren" "Kubukatol" "Lelumshem" "Nikotdastot" "Athelrab" "Estunkogan" "Mamotlogem" "Omirstoddom" "Osodas" "Limulreg" "Sakzulral" "Rallorsith" "Riraskubuk" "Sazirsezuk" "Lirukakrul" "Estunkogan" "Tusungmorul" "Idokmorul" "Urdimuker" "Thobritan"
}

regnal_first_names = {
"Urist" "Cog" "Zon" "Ral" "Zuntir" "Lokum" "Udib" "Udil" "Unib" "Deduk" "Rakust" "Thudib" "Nikot" "Sedil" "Rulroth" "Alod" "Geb" "Zareth" "Olum" "Atul" "Tholtig"
}

regnal_second_names = {
"Olondatur" "Mamotmosus" "Athamoltar" "Idust" "Olonmuzish" "Momuzdodok" "Thakdoren" "Kubukatol" "Lelumshem" "Nikotdastot" "Athelrab" "Estunkogan" "Mamotlogem" "Omirstoddom" "Osodas" "Limulreg" "Sakzulral" "Rallorsith" "Riraskubuk" "Sazirsezuk" "Lirukakrul" "Estunkogan" "Tusungmorul" "Idokmorul" "Urdimuker" "Thobritan"
}
}
}
}

To use it, copy the text into a notepad file in the "Stellaris/common/name_lists" folder.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:58:05 pm by JacenHanLovesLegos »
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 13, 2016, 02:33:39 pm »

lost two top notch scientist to the retarded evading behavior, is there a way to disable/override it?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:40:40 pm by LoSboccacc »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 13, 2016, 02:40:14 pm »

lost two top notch scientist to the retarded evading behavior, is there a way to disable/override it?

Set their behavior to Passive, they'll ignore enemies. It's a button on the right of the ship menu when you select it.

Keep in mind, that means that unless you intervene they will likely get killed. Keep an eye out for warnings about enemy ships though and you should be fine.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: May 13, 2016, 02:41:04 pm »

Set their behavior to Passive, they'll ignore enemies. It's a button on the right of the ship menu when you select it.

Keep in mind, that means that unless you intervene they will likely get killed. Keep an eye out for warnings about enemy ships though and you should be fine.

eh better than them running toward the sieged capital  ::)

also not having a chance of even researching appropriate defensive measures unless the RNGOD says so is aggravating.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 13, 2016, 02:59:09 pm »

The science government in its basic form gives you +1 choice, and in its advanced form +2 choices. Combine that with the +1 choice from the physics research and mid game you're looking at 6 choices for every field. That should let you get whatever techs you want fairly easily. Just remember to scroll through the choices, they don't all fit in the UI.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:05:15 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 13, 2016, 03:05:53 pm »

The science government in its basic form gives you +1 choice, and in its advanced form +2 choices. Combine that with the +1 choice from the physics research and mid game you're looking at 7 choices for every field. That should let you get whatever techs you want fairly easily. Just remember to scroll through the choices, they don't all fit in the UI.

keyword: mid game. playing xenophobic militaristic basically means waiting out until then, because early combat is just annoying - rock paper scissor strategy already sucks, but here you get to play just rock for, like, two hours? same problem as civilization game, first two hours are just to set up the mid game scenario and the random exploration stuff is the filler to get you there.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: May 13, 2016, 03:26:33 pm »

Ehm, that + one research choice tech got thrown into me during pressing research button for the first time, it is not midgame really.
5 instead of four is already big difference.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 13, 2016, 04:15:07 pm »

So, I uplifted a species (another race for my xenophile multiculturalist religious community, yay!) but for some strange reason their graphic changed when they uplifted. I did re-tool them a bit so I guess that might explain it but it seems more like a bug. At least they're still reptiles like the rest of us. Except for the monkey-people from the other end of the galaxy.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 632