Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1726111 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2910 on: June 22, 2016, 09:47:30 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Post this as a steam review. More people deserve to see it.

You mind if I quote steal that for my steam review of the game?
Go ahead, just link the thread or something.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: June 22, 2016, 10:04:46 am »

Thank you, I just did. That's so about to become #1 review for Stellaris. It starts with a link to the post and i copy pasted the little anecdote too.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: June 22, 2016, 11:35:33 am »

I really enjoy the early game, much more than in most 4x really, but once you find a couple of other empires it goes downhill fast.  I think that part of the problem is that the AI empires expand at a ridiculous rate, thereby swallowing up huge chunks of the map and making the game basically a galactic-scale sumo match.  Also, the various diplomacy elements need serious work, it is nearly impossible to form alliances with nations that even slightly differ in ethics, and unnecessarily hard to get trade agreements that are actually balanced.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: June 22, 2016, 02:40:22 pm »

I like what they're trying to do with the sector system, but the AI definitely needs improvement, or you need a better way of telling it what to do.

From a big picture point of view, I think the sector system is going to be key to making the game more of a GSG and less of a vanilla 4X. Treat them more like vassals in CK2. They should have their own elections, and optionally you can intervene or force your own leaders to run in them. Some kind of centralization policy could determine how much power and influence sectors have: at the lowest centralization levels, your sectors behave more like tributaries than cohesive parts of your empire.

Factions are cool, but they're not enough (yet).

Something that probably should be tinkered with is allowing factions to form with the ultimate goal of becoming their own sector, based on something like distance from empire center, differences in population makeup, ability of central government to exert control (so an additional concern if you intentionally, long-term, run past the Core cap), etc. I'm not sure how well it'd work in practice, but on paper it seems like their might be potential.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: June 22, 2016, 02:50:40 pm »

Yeah the faction system is open for so much interesting stuff instead they have almost no theets, there was this guy purging his whole empire and the faction for 'let us live' never went over 5% of the people iirc

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: June 22, 2016, 03:02:08 pm »

I like what they're trying to do with the sector system, but the AI definitely needs improvement, or you need a better way of telling it what to do.

From a big picture point of view, I think the sector system is going to be key to making the game more of a GSG and less of a vanilla 4X. Treat them more like vassals in CK2. They should have their own elections, and optionally you can intervene or force your own leaders to run in them. Some kind of centralization policy could determine how much power and influence sectors have: at the lowest centralization levels, your sectors behave more like tributaries than cohesive parts of your empire.

Factions are cool, but they're not enough (yet).

Something that probably should be tinkered with is allowing factions to form with the ultimate goal of becoming their own sector, based on something like distance from empire center, differences in population makeup, ability of central government to exert control (so an additional concern if you intentionally, long-term, run past the Core cap), etc. I'm not sure how well it'd work in practice, but on paper it seems like their might be potential.
In the dev diary, they mentioned that sectors were supposed to tie into factions much more heavily, so hopefully that's in the queue.

I think that part of the problem is that the AI empires expand at a ridiculous rate, thereby swallowing up huge chunks of the map and making the game basically a galactic-scale sumo match.
In Stellaris' defense, this is an issue with pretty much every 4X. It's still unfortunate and intersects poorly with a bunch of other issues, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: June 22, 2016, 03:09:10 pm »

Yeah, every 4X I've played where the AI aren't potatoes is dominated by the initial colonization race.

By the by, anyone tried it yet? Patchnotes changed "core planet" to "core system" and I'm curious if that's a typo/unimplemented change or if they actually did it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: June 22, 2016, 03:14:46 pm »

Yeah, every 4X I've played where the AI aren't potatoes is dominated by the initial colonization race.

By the by, anyone tried it yet? Patchnotes changed "core planet" to "core system" and I'm curious if that's a typo/unimplemented change or if they actually did it.
It's intended.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2918 on: June 22, 2016, 04:16:20 pm »

That is a nice change. There are a couple of instances where I want to have control of at least one specific planet in a system but the three other colonized worlds are just dross...

Ok, here's my alternative drive idea:

Leap Drive: No maximum range. Actual travel time is instant. However, ships have both a moderate cooldown-on-arrival state, and a warmup period that is proportionate to the distance traveled, and canceling a jump resets the warmup entirely. The entire transit, from warmup to arrival, takes slightly more time than Warp would in a nonstop straight line. Additionally, ships preparing to jump have increased energy upkeep. The advantages are that you can always take the most direct route between two points, and that ships can effectively change their minds partway through the jump, although they lose all the progress they made. Attempting to jump across the galaxy would take multiple years of warmup, and a significant energy cost!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: June 22, 2016, 06:20:23 pm »

That seems really bad. The advantage of Warp is the versatility. Any system to any system with no infrastructure, and the ability to rapidly respond regardless of where the fleet is. In other words, you can start a fleet warp-jumping towards a problem spot and divert it a few weeks later to adapt to changing circumstances. That "Leap" drive has the same inflexibility of Wormhole drives without the benefits at anything beyond normal Warp drive ranges, since if you need the ships somewhere else, you've basically got to eat the energy cost and accept the wasted charge-up time.

Still better than Hyperdrive in all-FTL matches though. :V

3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2920 on: June 22, 2016, 06:22:46 pm »

Hyperdrive only games are the only ones where Fortresses become linchpins

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: June 22, 2016, 06:44:50 pm »

Still better than Hyperdrive in all-FTL matches though. :V
Hyperdrive actually can be great at war, since it allows for hit-and-run strikes (since you don't need to go to the edge of a system to leave it).

EDIT: Okay, I got to ask since I would rather believe that I am doing something wrong rather than the alternative: is there a way to stop sector AI from emancipating slaves? I want to enslave the pops on a planet, but it keeps reverting the decision thus allowing for a massive independence faction (rather than an even split between docile and rebel slaves).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:54:44 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: June 22, 2016, 09:58:21 pm »

Hyperdrive only games are the only ones where Fortresses become linchpins
Yeah, I play pretty much nothing except Hyperdrive-only now. The others allow for too much stupid leapfrogging and chasing in addition to what you mentioned about fixed defenses. It also helps slow down the colonization boom.

3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: June 22, 2016, 11:32:40 pm »

I slowed down the colonization boom with a quick fix mod that massively lowered population growth.  The problem isn't that it's too easy to grab planets, it's that they become full populated in four years.  Lower the growth to 1 pop in 30 years and land grab stops being automatic victory.  It's still easy to beat the AI but it takes longer.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2924 on: June 23, 2016, 04:14:58 am »

Thought I was playing the 1.2 beta, wondered why everything was unchanged, realised I was playing on 1.0.2.

Fug
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 632