Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I just got this game two days ago and.....  (Read 1696 times)

mc858

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I just got this game two days ago and.....
« on: July 20, 2015, 09:12:12 pm »

it made my brain melt out of my ears......... how did a human being make a game like this? is he really a human or some sort of super toad?

i thought distant worlds was a complicated game (and it is) - but this takes it to a whole new level

that is all i have to say *drops mic and exits room*

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just got this game two days ago and.....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:18:07 pm »

Time, honestly. Its been almost a decade since df first xame out? You can even ser new features that were added in ad time went on.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:24:39 am »

The game isn't actually that complicated, it's just a matter of knowing the hotkeys. Once you have those memorized (I'll admit it takes a while..) the game seems far less scary.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:28:10 am »

Distant worlds is rather humorless. DF, while complicated in the extreme, is also packed with drama. Distant worlds is more like work.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

mc858

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 11:50:08 am »

i just cant believe how much stuff is going on.....thousands of creatures, thousands of storys and backstorys, individual needs and expiriences,etc...... its mind boggling

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:03:33 pm »

i just cant believe how much stuff is going on.....thousands of creatures, thousands of storys and backstorys, individual needs and expiriences,etc...... its mind boggling

Wonders of procedural generation!  Toady writes 1 standard dorf and puts limits on how much that 1 can change, then lets the program vary it at random to create new dorfs.  It's a lot of work setting up the system but not nearly as much work as making each one individually would be.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 03:15:43 pm »

DF isn't THAT complex, the UI is just extremely obtuse.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 04:16:42 pm »

And even the UI is not half as bad as its reputation makes it sound.

At least when I started playing I somehow imagined far worse. It turned out to be learnable, i was surprised. To this day I haven't found a part of the interface that even gets close to what I was fearing. The pessimist's way of making dwarf fortress appear easy or something like that.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:24:29 pm »

Sorry, you didn't get Dwarf Fortress- Dwarf Fortress got you.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 09:41:46 pm »

+1

Once you get the UI and stuff, Dwarf Fortress remains challenging but actually is fun.

Some of those guys going about saying "ZOMG XDDDD IM PALYING THE HARDEST GAME XDDD" obviously haven't committed any time to DF or are just being general idiots.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 02:55:18 am »

Most of the complexity is under the hood, or in the minor details. Temperature calculations for everything, water depth, anatomy, physics, world simulation, personalities, family trees. Now we're getting dancing, music, writing, performance, a tech 'forest'.

It's pretty sodding complex.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:57:28 am by WordsandChaos »

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 07:17:59 am »

The hard part for me was to learn english so I could understand the wiki. After that the rest went rather smoothly.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 09:39:09 am »

The game isn't actually that complicated, it's just a matter of knowing the hotkeys. Once you have those memorized (I'll admit it takes a while..) the game seems far less scary.

Compared to other games on the market, it is that complicated. The hotkeys are hard to memorize and sometimes make little sense. There are I don't even know how many menus and submenus. Masonry, stonecrafting and stone detailing are three different skills. So are woodcrafting, bowyering(?) and carpentry. Got a wounded dwarf? Gotta learn how to butcher animals, get the tallow from the animal, cut and burn logs for ash and then finally combine the tallow and the ash using the soap maker skill. What other game even has a soap maker skill?

At any rate, it's the depth and complexity that makes this game as wonderful as it is. And you don't need to know all aspects of it to run a successful fort. I still find new stuff every once in a while after like 3 years of playing on and off.

And yeah, I've got my doubts about Toady's humanity as well. This game is just too full of genius.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 12:39:47 pm »

Complexity isn't always good.

Imo Toady's genius doesn't really lie in his game design but rather in managing the horrible mess that I imagine the code must be.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 01:46:22 pm »

You are joking right?
Pages: [1] 2