Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pet-Hydra turning hostile during goblin siege  (Read 1284 times)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Pet-Hydra turning hostile during goblin siege
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:48:52 pm »

Sooo...my animal trainer went to train my pet-hydra (well-trained) in its secured underground pen (room) during a goblin siege. Never caused any problems before, I have it captured for some time now already, but this time the Hydra just tore the trainer apart and then went on a rampage.

I was confused as to what happened, not having watched the siege play out because my archers were taking care of it quite nicely and the rest of my military was waiting for any goblin to make it through the bolt-rain.
Luckily I saved before the siege and ... well, I went back to that.

This time I just watched the hydra. The trainer just goes in and as soon as he opens the door the Hydra goes on a rampage. I had a swordmaster near, he didn't attack with his weapon but just went and tried punching the thing to death - to little success obviously.

Reload again, try to butcher the hydra. Works fine, the butcher gets the hydra and leads it to the butcher's shop. I canceled the job half-way there and the butcher brings the hydra back to the pen and as soon as he gets there ... rampage.

Next try, I just leave the hydra by locking the door to the pen, end the sieges via the use of a few bearded blocks of metal...
Open the pen again. Training goes fine, no rampage.

I just wonder why this happened? Is the hydra somehow connected to that goblin entity?

And is there a random chance that training goes wrong and the animal attacks? Never had that happened so far.

EDIT: It also avoided the traps put in place in case it would turn hostile again.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:52:09 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet-Hydra turning hostile during goblin siege
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:13:11 pm »

Training does not last forever. In order for something to be permanently friendly, it must be tamed. This requires that a trained animal give birth, and the subsequent animal be trained (therefore becoming permanently non-hostile).

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Animal_trainer#Taming
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:23:45 pm »

If a creature has ever killed a dwarf before it can never be considered completely safe. From what I understand your hydra may have killed one during world gen even.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 02:30:50 pm »

Yeah, it sounds like you had your hydra in a cage the whole time, meaning it never got the chance to show that it was hostile to your dwarves. If you get another one you can do some tricks to take the child even if both are hostile.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 02:35:06 pm »

Training does not last forever. In order for something to be permanently friendly, it must be tamed. This requires that a trained animal give birth, and the subsequent animal be trained (therefore becoming permanently non-hostile).

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Animal_trainer#Taming
Yes, as I stated, it is currently "well-trained". It didn't revert back to semi-wild or wild. It is constantly being trained with "any trainer" assigned, which worked quite fine till that moment - and works quite fine after the sieges was over. ???

If a creature has ever killed a dwarf before it can never be considered completely safe. From what I understand your hydra may have killed one during world gen even.
While it has a bit more than a hundred notable kills as well as a bit more than a hundred other kills, it seems to never have killed a single dwarf (looking at legends). I captured it via a cage trap just after it was shot at by some of my marksdwarves who were up on their tower out of reach - itself receiving some minor wounds.
It is listed as an enemy of my civilization though. (Quite a badass though, even killed a lizard monster and drove another "goblin ruler" out of his site.)

Still, I don't understand why it only decided to attack when the goblin siege was in progress, never before, nor after.

Yeah, it sounds like you had your hydra in a cage the whole time, meaning it never got the chance to show that it was hostile to your dwarves. If you get another one you can do some tricks to take the child even if both are hostile.
Nope. It's been out of its cage ever since it had been trained to more than semi-wild.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:59:38 pm »

This sounds like a known bug. Feel free to upload your save and add a note to the report if you're feeling motivated.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:31:43 am »

Apparently megabeasts are untameable (in practice) in 0.40, since they are 99% likely enemies of your civ.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 06:58:45 am »

Apparently megabeasts are untameable (in practice) in 0.40, since they are 99% likely enemies of your civ.
That's pretty much always been a problem. The only way was to somehow get a breeding pair and mod them to be able to actually have children, though now the modding isn't necessary.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 10:02:06 am »

Yeah, I was thinking that it was this "enemy of my civ" bug. But then why did it only turn hostile during that one goblin siege? I so far had not had it turn hostile in any other case. If it had been always hostile I'd have said "sure, it's that bug".
But it behaves normally, even killed the goblin prisoners I fed it without any mercy.
Then again, I think the prisoners were also fighting among themselves due to being from different goblin entities. I wish there was an easy way of pitting all the almost 200 goblins and trolls I have in cages so I could do some nice "scientific" research on them. Masspitting doesn't seem to work safely anymore - even though pitting worked fine in another fortress I had earlier...

"Sadly" I haven't had any new incidents since the last time. It also didn't attack the trained cave dragon I have in the same pasture, btw - just focussed on my dwarves.

EDIT: Two further incidents, one without there even being a siege or anything, the second time I send my newest squad into the pen-room during a goblin siege and that thing attacked straight away. Luckily, and quite surprisingly - as they are not anywhere "near legendary" or such - not a single one of my dwarves even got hurt during the fight. There's A TON of hydra teeth around now, besides some body parts... And again, the cave dragon just sat and watched.
I guess the attacking was because the hydra is an enemy of my civilization. Oh well, I'll not try to tame them again - unless I just want to butcher them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:48:51 am by SyrusLD »