Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tree Farming  (Read 2520 times)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tree Farming
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »

I've found that in some cases, you don't have to bother with muddifying at all. Tower caps will grow on unaltered silty clay, as long as it's underground.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>
If you build underground I wouldn't suggest using anything other than cave water to flood your cavern tree farms.

If you pump water from the surface downward it has a high chance of causing a permaflood up to the level of the pump. And if your pump is on the surface that means flooding the entire fortress.</STRONG>

I don't think that's an issue for me, I'm very good with using Screw Pumps as pressure regulators.  After all, I filled the waterfall resevoir for my great hall with water from a brook 6 or 7 floors up from the resevoir, and it's an open-topped resevoir too :P

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 12:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sukasa:
<STRONG>

I don't think that's an issue for me, I'm very good with using Screw Pumps as pressure regulators.  After all, I filled the waterfall reservoir for my great hall with water from a brook 6 or 7 floors up from the reservoir, and it's an open-topped reservoir too :P</STRONG>

I use the same system. In my fort there is usually a central water column (a 5x5 open topped reservoir) that feeds individual levels via a screw pump.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 01:48:00 am »

What I usually do is hollow out the first underground layer and stud the surface with windmill powered pumps. All of the pumps are controlled by a single lever.

When I need to flood the deep forest I divert the local brook into the space. Since this turns the space into a gigantic lake it takes a really damn long time for it to evaporate into mud. So the pumps which are space about every 12 squares are all turned on and they pull all of the water up to the surface. The pumps push the water through metal bars so there is little chance of something breaking in.

This leave a really large muddy room. A few years on you get a large harvest of wood and none of the aboveground dangers. There are lots of other variations but I find this one the most convenient. I tend towards large flat maps and most of them lack a layer of topsoil, thus the mudding.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?
Pages: 1 [2]