Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will favorite animals in the zoo produce happy thoughts  (Read 1192 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will favorite animals in the zoo produce happy thoughts
« on: July 17, 2015, 03:53:21 pm »

Hi all!

Will favorite dwarves' animals in the zoo produce happy thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Will favorite animals in the zoo produce happy thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 04:05:27 pm »

Yes I believe they actually will, but with the strangeness cage mechanics I am not completely certain.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 04:23:11 pm »

Yes I believe they actually will, but with the strangeness cage mechanics I am not completely certain.
What do you mean by "strangeness cage mechanics"?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 04:25:51 pm »

Sorry, small omission, I meant strangeness with cage mechanics, some aspects of caged creatures are a bit off.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 05:05:09 pm »

For guaranteed results plus more decoration bonus, "room cages" with glass windows can boost the mood even more and guarantee they see the animal.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 02:09:55 am »

For guaranteed results plus more decoration bonus, "room cages" with glass windows can boost the mood even more and guarantee they see the animal.
Will aggressive animals like snake helms horrify dwarves from the glass rooms then?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:21:19 am by em1LL »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 07:15:03 am »

aren't zoos roleplay. at least my dwarves are admiring mainly the cages and care little about the animals at all.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 09:51:28 am »

Zoos are a real thing: "Stukos Mengesmul, Mason, likes dogs for their loyalty. She felt wonder after being near to a dog in a cage." "Dishmab Azinuzol likes cats for their aloofness. He felt enjoyment after being near to a cat in a cage."

Notably, neither lists any feelings about encountering cats and dogs outside of cages.

As far as i can tell, happy thoughts are caused by preferred animals contained in built cages. If "room cages" means the creature is confined to a 1x1 room blocked off with windows, that one guarantees that you _don't_ get the preference benefits, because it's not contained in an actual cage.

I haven't tested this thing in detail - chained animals may work, too; i don't know for sure whether cages need to be built for dwarfs to notice the creature within (probably, since dwarfs don't care about loose furniture lying around). It's not a very important issue, since creature preferences are all over the place and many are for creatures that aren't realistically available for zoos (animal people, sharks, demons) or unfit for caging (grazers).