Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chief medical dwarf and relevant skills  (Read 2601 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chief medical dwarf and relevant skills
« on: July 17, 2015, 07:36:48 am »

Hi all!

I need to assign chief medical dwarf, but I don't have any dwarf with the relevant skills. Also there won't be any migrant wave in the future. Is it ok to assign any hauler dwarf for this job? Won't dwarves die because of him?

Thanks in advance.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Chief medical dwarf and relevant skills
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:40:56 am »

yeah, skills don't really matter for doctors, don't worry. It's just their speed. This might change eventually once a way gets added for dwarves to gain skills through ways other than doing the task, but that will likely be a while.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 07:47:55 am »

Depends on the fort and the nature of accidents, how relevant skills are, but no CMD is worse than bad CMD.

Though I did hear about that one guy who rotated his doctors out as soon as they got any skills at all, so he could watch them perform funny and unnecessary amputations.
One wheel short of a wagon

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 08:16:12 am »

yeah, skills don't really matter for doctors, don't worry. It's just their speed
Even for the chief medical dwarf? Will he be able to make the right diagnosis at all?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 08:25:34 am »

yeah, skills don't really matter for doctors, don't worry. It's just their speed
Even for the chief medical dwarf? Will he be able to make the right diagnosis at all?

That was where the fun amputations came in.
One wheel short of a wagon

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 08:27:25 am »

Misdiagnosis was taken out quite a while ago, due to how you can't train doctors aside from having them treat patients, which they then misdiagnosed and kill.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:49:00 am »

Misdiagnosis was taken out quite a while ago, due to how you can't train doctors aside from having them treat patients, which they then misdiagnosed and kill.
And what about surgery etc?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 09:19:49 am »

The CMD doesn't need to have diagnosis skill, and they don't need to perform diagnoses. It's a pure administration job giving more information. And while that information is helpful, it's entirely optional - you can have a fully functional healthcare system without a CMD. The things you need are a hospital zone (the only administrative requirement), materials and dwarfs with the healthcare labours enabled. Like all other healthcare jobs, diagnosis is done by any dwarf who has the "diagnosis" labour active.

And yes, malpractice hasn't been a thing for years. I started playing DF 34.11, and never saw a wrong diagnosis from skill-less doctors. It's harder to say for other jobs, but no matter how low the skill, treatment never fails to put dwarfs back together again if that's at all possible. The only real trouble dwarfs can pick up during treatment are infections, and i've no idea whether skills really matter for those, untreated wounds get infected, too.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:27:18 am by Larix »

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:50:26 am »

The CMD doesn't need to have diagnosis skill, and they don't need to perform diagnoses. It's a pure administration job giving more information. And while that information is helpful, it's entirely optional - you can have a fully functional healthcare system without a CMD. The things you need are a hospital zone (the only administrative requirement), materials and dwarfs with the healthcare labours enabled. Like all other healthcare jobs, diagnosis is done by any dwarf who has the "diagnosis" labour active.

And yes, malpractice hasn't been a thing for years. I started playing DF 34.11, and never saw a wrong diagnosis from skill-less doctors. It's harder to say for other jobs, but no matter how low the skill, treatment never fails to put dwarfs back together again if that's at all possible. The only real trouble dwarfs can pick up during treatment are infections, and i've no idea whether skills really matter for those, untreated wounds get infected, too.

Just to reinforce the above, which is all correct.
I only started playing DF40, so I don't know about old versions, but no, there is no malpractice currently. Medical skills only affect time to perform job.

Where you can get jammed up because of low skills are patients not receiving critical care quickly enough; i.e. bleeding out. So getting them hauled to hospital, diagnosed and sutured asap. Getting wounds cleaned quickly and efficiently seems to be the big determinant on infections, which unlike RL don't seem to be all that serious anyway. I've had dwarves with infections live full normal lives, they will grab soap and bucket and head off to the well to wash themselves regularly but that's the only real effect I've seen. OTOH I don't know if cleaning supplies weren't available if their condition would get worse, but once they get an infection it never goes away.

The most important things you can do are having a properly setup and stocked hospital zone, a clean water source and dwarves available to perform the labors. So just like any other skill, use what you've got, and if you don't have anyone with the skills just pick someone to be your doctor, when you've got a patient unassign all other labors (and hope they don't immediately go off to sleep/break/party)
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.