Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Max Mad (2015 game)  (Read 2172 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Max Mad (2015 game)
« on: July 16, 2015, 06:20:38 am »

I can't believe this game fell under my radar until last night. It's developed by Avalanche Studio, known for Just Cause series. I'm goddamn excited about the vehicular combat. Mad Max's car is called Magnum Opus in this game and you get to customise it from the body chasis to engine to weapons and armour.

'Savage' trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ButHzEB8AO4

'Magnum Opus' trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoOec8v3DTw

Reasons to get excited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZGpTww84vE

10 minute gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGgh33eSt-0

Waiting for it to be listed on Steam (it's slated for SteamOS release too!).
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Max Mad (2015 game)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 08:14:56 am »

Reminds me of Hard Truck Apocalypse. Kinda pitty there mst assuredly won't be any cargo hauling between settlements but that would be agaisnt the main character.

Still amazing tho. Especially since the company doing it is one with quite a bit of expereince.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 09:07:23 am »

This does look really impressive, and certainly looks like a buy for me.

However, I really wish they'd done something a bit different than post-apocalyptic batman. There was so much more they could have done in terms of combat and danger, but it seems that they've traded that off for a bit of an arcade-y feel.

I also think First person is where I'll spend most of my time playing it, and it's a shame that wasn't shown off in the gameplay video more!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 09:26:29 pm »

It's tempting, but maybe it's just my innate wariness of movie tie-in games built up over the 90s and early 2000s that has me a little gun shy. I watched and heard that they have been in dev for 3 years, and the game does look cool in a Dead Island sort of way. I really enjoyed Fury Road but what I didn't think after digesting the movie was "gosh I want to play in an apocalyptic wasteland open world sim just like that one." Maybe it's genre weariness in video games for me.

That said, it looks pretty good. (Only thing that's over the top is how much crap flies off your car when you collide.) I'll be interested to hear how it is. It just seems like, based on that 10 minutes of gameplay, you've seen the game. There's your car and all its upgrades. There's the obvious Batman/Sleeping Dogs Inspired Press Y to Win Combat. There's the Wasteland Guns. There's the Collectibles. All that was missing on show is the Guys you will talk to, to do quests, and an uber mega big death race chase. So it's seemingly pretty by the numbers. Again, I'm probably being a little crabby on this one for a couple reasons mentioned above. Maybe the quests are really good or nuanced, or something.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:14:34 am »

I completely agree - I'm super jaded after so many abysmal tie-ins, but I feel this might actually be good. I didn't really accept the 'we work working on this before the movie!' thing, as that was obviously to try to distance themselves from the game-movie stigma but rung incredibly hollow. I mean, it looks IDENTICAL to the movie!

I hope they have a few tricks up their sleeves other than just car combat. With a good storyline this could be great, as could shaking up the formula a bit - max could be woefully underpowered in most of it for instance, or food and water could be a real concern.

I'm just holding out hope for this as I love the apocalyptic genre
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:29:15 am »

I completely agree - I'm super jaded after so many abysmal tie-ins, but I feel this might actually be good. I didn't really accept the 'we work working on this before the movie!' thing, as that was obviously to try to distance themselves from the game-movie stigma but rung incredibly hollow. I mean, it looks IDENTICAL to the movie!

Understand though, Fury Road was in development for like 12 years or something. It doesn't have the "slammed this shit out to coincide with the movie" look, but it is still a tie-in.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 09:30:43 am »

I saw this at comiccon and thought it was a combat racing game and that's it.  It looked kind of cool but I didn't really care much.  Seeing yet another ballerina rhythm game combat system has completely killed any interest I had.

I refuse to play ballerina rhythm games.
Shoes...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 10:48:18 am »

Very true, it just seemed in the videos that they were saying that the film and the game were completely different whereas really it is still a movie tie-in.

Whilst I dislike the rhythm combat system, it can feel pretty good and more than anything it's easy for them to pull off effectively. If this is a small part of the game compared to vehicle combat then it's better that than them trying to piece something together that just doesn't work.

Really though, whilst the vehicle combat looks good, it certainly won't carry it without the rest of the game being deep enough to get involved in.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 11:34:13 am »

Not to derail, but has anyone head of 'Convoy'? It has this Max Max-y vibe to it and bears similarities to FTL. Here it is on Steam.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 11:36:04 am »

Not to derail, but has anyone head of 'Convoy'? It has this Max Max-y vibe to it and bears similarities to FTL. Here it is on Steam.

Thread.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 11:38:48 am »

Thanks for the link, but I just wanted to let anyone know if they're interested in Mad Max and FTL. This game has a charming vibe.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 06:43:52 pm »

I hope it is better than the Mad Max NES game.

It was awful.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 01:24:31 am »

I'll be pre-ordering this to get the Ripper Magnum Opus. WB has had good track records (except for the latest Batman instalment...). I wonder why it has not shown up on Steam.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 01:40:41 am »

I'll be pre-ordering this to get the Ripper Magnum Opus. WB has had good track records (except for the latest Batman instalment...). I wonder why it has not shown up on Steam.

It is a little curious, isn't it? Fury Road definitely got noticed by people, you'd think Warner Brothers would capitalize on that....maybe it goes to show just how messed up things are over at WB.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 02:02:40 am »

It is a little curious, isn't it? Fury Road definitely got noticed by people, you'd think Warner Brothers would capitalize on that....maybe it goes to show just how messed up things are over at WB.

Interestingly, while Mad Max official website does not offer Steam pre-order yet, there are independent key sellers selling the Steam key already. Two are these sellers are OZGameshops (that I've used a lot) and G2A (which to my knowledge is also trustworthy). This game has also been confirmed for SteamOS release, and it's less than 2 months before release (1-2 Sep 2015)!