Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: D&D Alignment discussion  (Read 38610 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: D&D Alignment discussion
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2016, 01:35:12 am »

Also, heh, kinda great that one of the Greyhawk deities is a "saint", and named pretty much directly after some real world human.  Guess that's the sort of thing those innovative nerds came up with back in '75.

At least it wasn't directly plagiarized from Tolkien like the rest of 1e (especially Halflings)

God damn it. I didn't even realize this got necroed.

It's an adjunct to the main D&D thread
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:20:45 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2016, 02:34:03 am »

Whoops!

As for Gold Dragons eating you... 4th edition Dragonomicon.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2016, 04:07:42 am »

Does 4e really count as canon? :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2016, 04:08:39 am »

Not only is the answer yes... but a hilarious yes. As the hoops they had to go through to convert it is amazing!

Basically the settings go through a "Post-Crisis" after every edition.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2016, 06:35:32 am »

Nah, unless referenced by other editions, 4th ed isn't canon.
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2016, 10:45:53 am »

I'd rather it take a King Of Dragon Pass outlook, where deities of bad things are placated to make them not hurt you. This is also how some polytheistic cultures actually functioned.

IIRC a lot of ancient real-world religions used to work this way too
you had 5 months to make that reply

why did it take so long
And why does it just rephrase the last sentence of the quoted post?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2016, 10:52:08 am »

If we understood Bohandas, it wouldn't be the same.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2016, 11:09:02 am »

From the 4th edition Dragonomicon II metallic dragons:

1: Not all metallic dragons are good.
Gold dragons rarely consume humanoids, unless the people in question are blatantly evil (or pose some threat to the dragon or its domain). Even a straving gold dragon won't consume a sentient being that it doesn't think deserves to die - though of course, the definition of who deserves to die varies from dragon to dragon.

Over all it seems that in 4th ed, yeah, gold dragons are more dickish, but on the other hand they also are not all lawful good. Well. Silly dragons, good is for paladins I guess.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:11:56 am by Criptfeind »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2016, 11:34:49 am »

I'd rather it take a King Of Dragon Pass outlook, where deities of bad things are placated to make them not hurt you. This is also how some polytheistic cultures actually functioned.

IIRC a lot of ancient real-world religions used to work this way too
you had 5 months to make that reply

why did it take so long
And why does it just rephrase the last sentence of the quoted post?

because I missed the last sentence when I reread it (though apparently not when I initially read it ~5 months ago). also if you looked hard enough i bet you could find dualist or animist religions that work that way
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2016, 02:26:25 pm »

Sounds like the nemesis of that Ankh-Morpork goddess of unsticking cabinets (and finding small items?).  Who would I guess be lawful good, or just lawful neutral, yet not the paladin or St Cuthbert type.
There is/was actually a Discworld god pretty much in this vein. A bit more in the Concerned Citizen vein, but reminiscent nonetheless.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2016, 04:26:15 pm »

It is because the law versus chaos has ambiguity built right in there.

It should be Order vs. Chaos, they're just needlessly eccentric in what they call it.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2016, 04:26:53 pm »

Sounds like the nemesis of that Ankh-Morpork goddess of unsticking cabinets (and finding small items?).  Who would I guess be lawful good, or just lawful neutral, yet not the paladin or St Cuthbert type.
There is/was actually a Discworld god pretty much in this vein. A bit more in the Concerned Citizen vein, but reminiscent nonetheless.

Anoia
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2016, 05:32:06 pm »

Chaotic Good: I didn't expect to see the works of Discord again, but I'm always happy when it comes up.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2016, 08:22:56 pm »

Anoia
Anoia is afore-afore mentioned goddess of draw-stuck.
I think scrdest was referencing a god of concerned citizens.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2016, 09:07:06 pm »

Anyway, what initially made me go back to this thread, but which I somehow didn't get around to posting about, is the idea, the realization of the possibility that if the upper planes were presented in as over the top a manner as the lower planes than they might be almost as noxious as the lower planes.

A couple of days ago I came across the writings of a british hippie philosopher with a plan for a utopian world that involved forcibly wireheading everyone and genetically modifying predator and omnivore species so that they can only eat plants (which even I think is going too far and I'm in favor of almost any kind of playing god you can name including, but not limited to, GMO foods, stem cell research, bring back the mastadons, vat meat, human cloning, human cloning for vat meat, uploaded consciousness, dr.moreau surgery, and the reanimation of the dead; and even I think this guy's proposals go too far. But I digress...) and it occurred to me that this is what the Upper Planes should look like (or at least the lawful good planes as there's a control freak undertone to it); not just good, but good distilled to the point where it ceases to be sane and peppered with things every bit as bizarre and impractical as the things in the lower planes.

Not only is the answer yes... but a hilarious yes. As the hoops they had to go through to convert it is amazing!

Basically the settings go through a "Post-Crisis" after every edition.

They should have just waved the whole thing off as having been a bad dream, like in Postal: Paradise Lost where Postal 3 was dismissed as having been a coma fantasy.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:23:43 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17