Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I just learned that dwarves can cry. What am I experiencing?  (Read 2343 times)

Araulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Almost every embark I've gone through has some form of dwarven massacre. Of course dwarves get upset. But I've paid it no mind, and just given them more beer. But after I learned that dwarves can cry... I think I'm developing empathy for my dwarves. I don't want my dwarves to be so sad that they cry! I think I'm developing genuine concern for the dwarves in my embarks, and becoming emotionally invested. Enough for me to micromanage at least a little for a number of individual dwarves! God, I thought I'd never willingly do that! I'm considering building apartments for families instead of individuals, and giving my fallen dwarves a nice looking grave. I have decided to give each family that loses a member a Golden Chalice to commemorate their memory.

I never knew I'd become emotionally invested in my little idiot midgets... Damn it... My eyes... T_T

Araulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just learned that dwarves can cry. What am I experiencing?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 12:48:35 pm »

Also developing morality in my decisions in game. (except for elves. They get to go to the circus and be hugged by clowns.)

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:55:51 pm »

Giving my fallen dwarves a nice looking grave.

Welcome to pointless micromanaging that gives instant self-gratification! I once had a surface graveyard that had a channel into a 1-tile deep grave, where I would put a coffin. I would then seal the grave after the coffin had been filled and put a slab, engraved to that dwarf, on top. I would also put a statue of them next to the grave, if one had been created.

This, of course, stopped being viable after 3 forgotten beast attacks. "Here lies Urist; the engraver didn't have time to personally engrave all 108 of his friends headstones as he had to take up brewing and farming duties on the side."

Yes! Dwarves cry now. They also frequently have "A covering of Urist McCrybaby's dwarf tears" on every single part of their body, so have a bathing area for frequent face washing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:59:40 pm by FrankMcFuzz »
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 07:40:41 pm »

I remember the very first time i ever played dwarf fortress, and the moment i fell in love with the game when i was reading a dwarve's personal bio and found that she liked ducks "for their quacks." There is definitely something to be said for the humanization (dwarfization?) of such an abstracted game universe and it's characters.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 07:55:54 pm »

I remember the very first time i ever played dwarf fortress, and the moment i fell in love with the game when i was reading a dwarve's personal bio and found that she liked ducks "for their quacks." There is definitely something to be said for the humanization (dwarfization?) of such an abstracted game universe and it's characters.

Urist likes cows for their haunting moos.

I don't think a cow has been described better anywhere on the entire internet.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Araulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 10:51:24 pm »

I assume that the tears wash the blood off of urist and onto the ground? Dang man. That's the stuff that they make stories of saints out of!

Araulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 10:52:21 pm »

Also I believe the word you're looking for is "personify"

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 04:55:18 pm »

How can you just leave me standing
Alone in a biome so cold
Maybe you're just too demanding
Maybe you let me get stabbed by a kobold
Maybe you're just like my mother
She oversaw ClaspedTide
Why must we atom smash each other?
This is what it sounds like
When dwarves cry

Araulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 03:29:44 pm »

How can you just leave me standing
Alone in a biome so cold
Maybe you're just too demanding
Maybe you let me get stabbed by a kobold
Maybe you're just like my mother
She oversaw ClaspedTide
Why must we atom smash each other?
This is what it sounds like
When dwarves cry

Oh God! The guilt! It's unbearable!! What have I done!?!? D:

This gives me an idea for a PSA joke though! :D

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 02:51:23 am »

Awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOc1FYWVhTo

Also, adventurer's cry because they're reacting to the horrors you perform with their body, meaning they are unwilling and mute witnesses.

Araulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 01:56:32 pm »

Oh GOD NO!! Why!?!?  :'( :'(

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 03:48:21 pm »

(  Re: I just learned that dwarves can cry. What am I experiencing?  )

Your dwarves are experiencing the phenomenon known as "weakness". While research into a cure or preventative measure is still ongoing, I prescribe regular severe mental trauma to excise the flaw from your population. This can include constant reminders of their physical frailty and/or inevitable mortality, or simple constant physical injury.

Consult your Chief Medical Dwarf for more information.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 09:17:45 pm »

Your dwarves are experiencing the phenomenon known as "weakness". While research into a cure or preventative measure is still ongoing, I prescribe regular severe mental trauma to excise the flaw from your population. This can include constant reminders of their physical frailty and/or inevitable mortality, or simple constant physical injury.

Ask your CMD if Magma is right for you.

Some side effects may occur including dryness of the mouth, cave sickness, irritation of the skin and eyes, severe weight loss, spontaneous combustion, or even death. Tell your CMD right away if you feel an unnatural kinship with trees, as this may be a sign of a more serious condition (being an elf.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 09:28:30 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Araulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 02:09:03 am »

Ask your CMD if Magma is right for you.

This is gold.
Some side effects may occur including dryness of the mouth, cave sickness, irritation of the skin and eyes, severe weight loss, spontaneous combustion, or even death. Tell your CMD right away if you feel an unnatural kinship with trees, as this may be a sign of a more serious condition (being an elf.)