Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's Play Game Dev. Tycoon: Welcome to The Team!  (Read 3727 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Game Dev. Tycoon: Welcome to The Team!
« on: July 11, 2015, 02:18:05 am »

It is the dawn of the 8-bit era. Having invested several years and an obscene number of hours in arcade games, SciFi novels, and something called "Harnworld," your greasy friend Ibid Straydrink has finally informed you that he has decided to pursue his destiny as a game designer. Thanks to your generous start-up investments, darling Bay12ers, each of you is a partner in this  fledging enterprise. As such, aside from a stake in the company's profits (if there be any!), you will also vote to determine what kind of projects it undertakes, and how they are handled.

First thing is first, however- this business needs a name.....

1. Bay Delve
2. Toady Works
3. BroWare
4. Armok Entertainment
5. Three-Toe Feetures
6. Other

How to Play Along

The proverbial curtain rises on the musky garage of my grandmother's house, better known as my office. Each update I will describe currents events and give a brief summary of company affairs. Afterwards, partners will be prompted to make decision as to what our next strategy will be. This may include developing a new game or game engine, undertaking research, hiring or firing, or even taking on small-time contracts for a little extra cash. The first turn, however, is reserved for the production of our debut to the gaming industry!

Before development can begin, we must first brainstorm our product. The catch? All of the games we develop must be based on forum games from the Bay 12 Forum Games and Roleplaying section, except for those with names based on real world games and franchises- let's be 'original!'

For our first title, we must consider the concept...

Name of the Game - Must be based on a forum game!
Audience - Y=Young, E=Everyone, M=Mature
Topic - We will begin with four or five random topics, and can research others. Certain topic fit particular genres of gaming better than others.
Genre - Action, Adventure, RPG, Simulation, Strategy
Platform - As time goes on, platforms will rise and fall, sometimes unexpectedly. Different platforms may hold a greater market share than others, thus a potential for greater profit.
Game Engine - In time, we will be able to develop our own state-of-the-art, powerful, customized game engines! For the time being, we will be using a potato.

Next we will select features, such as graphics and sound effects. These will be listed accordingly with their respective costs.

Lastly, development in proper. Game development is split into three phases. Each phase will features three slider bars, each of which represents an aspect of game design. Each shareholder will choose a number between 1 and 10 (decimals are acceptable!) to determine how much time and resources will go into a specific area of development. Another catch- these numbers must add up to no more or less than a total of 15 per shareholder. E.g., 3 in area A, 7 in area B, and 5 in area C= 15.

The phases are...

Phase 1

Engine
Gameplay
Story/Quests

Phase 2

Dialogues
Level Design
Artificial Intelligence

Phase 3

World Design
Graphic
Sound

When the game is complete, it will be shipped off and published. Watch the market anxiously, and wait for the company report.

Learning from our victories and our blunders will be essential to our growth. As things go on, we will begin to "level up" as a company in regard to certain elements of game design. For this reason, whether we decide to specialize in one or two genres, or make a little of everything for everyone, it is important that we sharpen our talents accordingly.

All said, a toast to our success!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:43:53 am by Ibid Straydrink »
的 am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Game Dev. Tycoon: Welcome to The Team!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:28:00 am »

Armok Entertainment
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 03:50:16 am »

All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 04:48:21 am »

PTW.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 04:12:39 pm »

Alright, we're all set. Just going to wait for  few more to weigh in before we get started...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:14:56 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
的 am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 04:14:24 pm »

Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 04:15:28 pm »

We must do the Perplexicon game!
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 09:20:45 pm »

Year 1, Month 1 Week 1 - Armok Entertainment
Fans: 0
Budget: $70k

So far, business has been a smashing success. After a light breakfast of French toast, waffles, pancakes and bacon (thanks grandma!) I've managed to get everything set up- now to fire up the brand new hardware and get started!

Year 1, Month 1 Week 2 - Armok Entertainment
Fans: 0
Budget: $70k

Whoa, that was quick! Alright, let's talk about the type of game we want to create. Bear in mind, it is rare for a company's first release to be a real hit, so it might take a bit of experimentation before we- nah, what am I saying? We got this...

Game #1

Title:
Rating: ESRB not yet established.
Topic: Options are SciFi, Racing, Virtual Pet, Cyberpunk (Not bad for starters!)
Genre:
Platform:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Game Description: (Optional)
Features:
Text-based ($5k)
2D Graphics V1 ($10k)

Phase 1:

Engine (Lv1): ?/15
Gameplay (Lv.1) ?/15
Storyquests (Lv.1) ?/15

Phase 2:

Dialogues (Lv.1) ?/15
Level Design (Lv.1) ?/15
Artificial Intelligence (Lv.1) ?/15

Phase 3:

World Design (Lv.1) ?/15
Sound (Lv.1) ?/15
Graphics (Lv.1) ?/15

Copy and post!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 09:31:32 pm by Ibid Straydrink »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 09:23:10 pm »

Shouldn't this be in Play With Your Buddies?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 09:23:34 pm »

Ah, Virtual Pet? That means we can create "Monster Breeder!" right off the bat.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 09:30:44 pm »

It felt more appropriate to place it here, since this Let's Play revolves around the content of this board, and the folks outside of it might not know it well. In effect, we are sort of roleplaying. :)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 09:34:31 pm »

... um... um... blast it I know this game. Bwahaha this is going to be hilarious for some.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 04:34:52 am »

Well, I was hoping to get the first round of this going today, but if there is a lack of interest, maybe I'll move it to the other forum as suggested.

In case I wasn't clear, now is the time to post. :P
Pages: [1] 2