Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Balancing  (Read 2961 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 06:51:20 pm »

I'm personally 182% against the digging, as my maps would become ugly with tons of tunnels in them and I'd have to abandon a fortress after a siege makes ugly holes everywhere. Ladders and battering rams would be great, as well as siegers using catapults and ballistae. `
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 07:14:47 pm »

I'm personally 182% against the digging, as my maps would become ugly with tons of tunnels in them and I'd have to abandon a fortress after a siege makes ugly holes everywhere. Ladders and battering rams would be great, as well as siegers using catapults and ballistae. `

I can only imagine that, in future, we will be able to shift soil a la Minecraft and rebury objects. Maybe even automate that after sieges. But digging needs to happen, ESPECIALLY when units become multi-tiled. Because you could trap a 4 tile Titan/FB by using a 1 tile door.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 09:24:59 pm »

Also, building a wall / raising drawbridge stops a whole enemy army. Blocking off the outside world is OverPowered. The enemy should be able to dig tunnels.
A 100-weapon 10-weapontrap corridor is also OP.
Slower skill learning is easily modded into the game.

Reading the update plans the other day, Toady's working on enemy diggers, ladders and also making them try to find an alternative route if they take a large loss in a particular area. So yeah, no need to worry about suggesting that, Toady's already implementing it (which is why we need more features instead of balancing old ones.)
What? Toady's working on being a musician in adventurer mode. He's not anywhere near enemy diggers right now. If you meant he's planned to eventually implement enemy diggers, then yes, he has but planned at some point in the distant future is far from working on.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 10:05:39 pm »

Also, building a wall / raising drawbridge stops a whole enemy army. Blocking off the outside world is OverPowered. The enemy should be able to dig tunnels.
A 100-weapon 10-weapontrap corridor is also OP.
Slower skill learning is easily modded into the game.

Reading the update plans the other day, Toady's working on enemy diggers, ladders and also making them try to find an alternative route if they take a large loss in a particular area. So yeah, no need to worry about suggesting that, Toady's already implementing it (which is why we need more features instead of balancing old ones.)
What? Toady's working on being a musician in adventurer mode. He's not anywhere near enemy diggers right now. If you meant he's planned to eventually implement enemy diggers, then yes, he has but planned at some point in the distant future is far from working on.

Oh :3 Yus, I know that. I didn't mean right NOW. I was just, you know. Referring to all the future features.

You know; the things most people don't stop to read before throwing themselves onto the suggestions forum :D It's bad when it's already been suggestion, but it's worse when it's already in http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 12:59:42 pm »

Agree completely

What? Toady's working on being a musician in adventurer mode.

In other words he's wasting his time...

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 01:09:35 pm »

Agree completely

What? Toady's working on being a musician in adventurer mode.

In other words he's wasting his time...
Personally I think being a musician in adventurer mode will be great. As will the taverns. Same for both in fortress mode.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 03:22:12 pm »

I hope the digging invaders will be a reality one day, it would allow for much more than only gobs using pickaxes and bypassing your defense, you could have gigantic worms assaulting your fortress from inside too, with you having to consider for this when designing your fort, the possibilities are just great.

A way around it for people not wanting enemies digging under their walls or their maps would just have Toady to manage digging the same way he manages invaders for those that only want peaceful forts , by adding a
[DIGGERS:ON] or [DIGGERS:OFF]
And everyone wins, the same as [INVADERS:ON] and [INVADERS:OFF] had everyone wins (in past version tough, as df2014 feels a lot like a forced [INVADERS:OFF] most of the time unfortunately).

I don't really care about musicians in adventure mode, i'm more interested in my characters having an adventure and lots of challenging fun, instead of what is currently, either it's too easy with enemies and hostiles not even fighting back when you destroy them or their family/friends in sight or it's "undead/spoilers thing one punch -through your armor- and it's game over if you don't exploit the multi-attack technique".
past DF had much better balance in regards to this.
Pages: 1 [2]