Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game  (Read 24654 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game
« Reply #285 on: November 03, 2015, 02:40:18 pm »

Well, I think our current plan involves burning the fort so it is indefensible... Not that it couldn't be repaired though...

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 04, 2015, 12:29:52 am »

So here is a wild thought.  The adventurers need a base of operations, say a fort, with men to defend it.  The refugees need a place to go to and food.

What if we name the fort that we take as their base, deeded to their group, a band that we give some kind of official status, put the leader of the band of refugees as a member and have his followers work to rebuild and defend the fort?

In time a small village could grow around the fort to support the... adventuring guild?
+1
New subjects are good.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 04, 2015, 12:35:06 am »

So here is a wild thought.  The adventurers need a base of operations, say a fort, with men to defend it.  The refugees need a place to go to and food.

What if we name the fort that we take as their base, deeded to their group, a band that we give some kind of official status, put the leader of the band of refugees as a member and have his followers work to rebuild and defend the fort?

In time a small village could grow around the fort to support the... adventuring guild?
+1
New subjects are good.

Lets figure out what these guys want, and if we should trust them, before throwing offers of land and castles around for them.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 04, 2015, 03:23:00 am »

Yeah. I'm not really interested in inviting these guys to a fort we don't currently own, with adventurers we haven't paid, while we still don't even know a thing about these refugees, let alone their names. Putting them in some of the many vacant homesteads we have in our general vicinity would allow us to keep watch of them and reap the most from labor.

But let's first place their intentions.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 04, 2015, 05:07:36 am »

On that matter, I would rather have them in our main settlement, where we can watch them, instead of somewhere out there, where gods-know-what could happen. Or rather, to say - I prefer strengthening our main settlement, and somewhat oppose the idea of creating new pockets, especially those that we can't control as easily, not to speak of trust.

Else, I pretty much agree to what Weirdsound suggested - safe us exchanging our saber to something more suitable to combat. Branching out, I would agree to, but - really: Duelling brought us here, and giving up on that on a whim, seems, y'know, somewhat out of character to me.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 04, 2015, 05:41:14 am »

Well saber is an effective weapon for mounted combat, being both light and curved, I would say it is perfect for leadership, seeing as all we should be performing is strafing slices and not getting bogged down in the thick. Driving troops should be our intention, not hacking limbs.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 04, 2015, 10:00:21 am »

On that matter, I would rather have them in our main settlement, where we can watch them, instead of somewhere out there, where gods-know-what could happen. Or rather, to say - I prefer strengthening our main settlement, and somewhat oppose the idea of creating new pockets, especially those that we can't control as easily, not to speak of trust.

Else, I pretty much agree to what Weirdsound suggested - safe us exchanging our saber to something more suitable to combat. Branching out, I would agree to, but - really: Duelling brought us here, and giving up on that on a whim, seems, y'know, somewhat out of character to me.

Honestly, the bulk of these people are starving peasants. There is a good chance that if we don't like the their intentions, we can simply off the leader, feed the rest, and do what we want with them.

And I was suggesting more branching out than replacing the Saber, but I admit to knowing little about military science. I was just assuming that a weapon made for gentalmanly dueling may not be quite ideal for an armored soldier in a right and proper battle.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 04, 2015, 09:54:11 pm »

"So you must be the warrior who has been trying to protect these people from the plague. One of my scouts picked up one of the wounded you left behind, so I know of what you have gone through. I am Adeeb Wasirri, Lord Govenor of these lands, and it seems the road has not been kind to your flock, Sheppard.

The bad news is I can't have refugees as close as you have come to my Keep and my Village. The good news is I anticipate a shortage of labor soon, but no shortage of food, so if you would like, you can consider your wanderings over."

Offer to let them enjoy the hospitality of Bonewatch for a few months, with the understanding that they will be put to work once we can spare the troops to watch over them in the field. Do ask them to turn over their weapons, as they will outnumber our men while we are away. Allow the leader to keep his sword as a sign of respect.

Instruct Balpher to start leading the men in nighttime drills to prepare for potential night combat

Send word to Mayor Veera that he is being called to arms for the seige, but that he may send some oil and pitch in lieu of troops.

See the adventurer trio gets paid.

Spend the time before Madagor gets back familiarizing yourself with the armor you have been loaned.

Send Eduard to the village to perhaps ease Aldagor's burden.

I agree with the above except practice riding and troop movement as opposed to your weapon skills. I feel like we will have our hands full trying to keep our troops organized and not falling off of our horse. Performing actual weapon to weapon combat should be the last thing on our mind. We are nobility. There's a reason they acted how they did.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 04, 2015, 10:29:09 pm »

I'm not sure hanging back and commanding the troops would even be in character for our 20 year old dueling obsessed governor, but you have a point.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 04, 2015, 11:06:31 pm »

We're a nobleman duelist, not a cavalryman. Unless we're fighting on foot we'd probably be better appreciated not getting in the way of our & Madagors better troops.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 04, 2015, 11:47:03 pm »

I did say wild thought!

Anyway it seems like the fort needs to fall before we decide what to do with it.

Yeah, we are not a seasoned warrior, if we were attacked I think we would be okay, but no need to tempt fate at this point.  Send some guys in to try and burn the wall at night, at best we take down their main defense and can pick off some guys, at worst we lose the three adventurers and alert the defenders to our presence, which would have happened anyway.

"So you must be the warrior who has been trying to protect these people from the plague. One of my scouts picked up one of the wounded you left behind, so I know of what you have gone through. I am Adeeb Wasirri, Lord Govenor of these lands, and it seems the road has not been kind to your flock, Sheppard.

The bad news is I can't have refugees as close as you have come to my Keep and my Village. The good news is I anticipate a shortage of labor soon, but no shortage of food, so if you would like, you can consider your wanderings over."

Offer to let them enjoy the hospitality of Bonewatch for a few months, with the understanding that they will be put to work once we can spare the troops to watch over them in the field. Do ask them to turn over their weapons, as they will outnumber our men while we are away. Allow the leader to keep his sword as a sign of respect.

Instruct Balpher to start leading the men in nighttime drills to prepare for potential night combat

Send word to Mayor Veera that he is being called to arms for the seige, but that he may send some oil and pitch in lieu of troops.

See the adventurer trio gets paid.

Spend the time before Madagor gets back familiarizing yourself with the armor you have been loaned. Perhaps find and practice with a weapon better suited for actual warfare than your blade.

Send Eduard to the village to perhaps ease Aldagor's burden.

+1 this for now.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 05, 2015, 06:39:39 am »

I'm for above.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 05, 2015, 05:37:32 pm »

How did I miss this? This is great! PTW!
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 06, 2015, 05:53:50 am »

3821, the fifth month of the year, and the last month of spring.

Adeeb Wasirri, Lord Governor of Dhum-Blud
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Councilors, Vassals, Allies and Agents.
Holdings.

You meet the cold gaze of the man with a polite smile, and extend your greetings "So you must be the warrior who has been trying to protect these people from the plague. One of my scouts picked up one of the wounded you left behind, so I know of what you have gone through. I am Adeeb Wasirri, Lord Govenor of these lands, and it seems the road has not been kind to your flock, Shepard. The bad news is I can't have refugees as close as you have come to my Keep and my Village. The good news is I anticipate a shortage of labor soon, but no shortage of food, so if you would like, you can consider your wanderings over." The man raises a curious eyebrow, but does not interject as you speak. "You may avail yourselves of my hospitality for now, where i promise you will be fed and safe from the plague. In exchange i will find work for you when i am sure i will have the forces to extend my protection in the field. I will however ask you to hand over your weapons, as you will not need them any longer. Your protector may keep his sword, as he's clearly earned the right to it."
There is a moment of tension, and it seems for a moment that some among the group may be about to disobey. A few of the refugees look fearfully to their leader, who gives a nod and a wave of his hand. That affirmation offered, the peasants begin handing their weapons to your garrison. When the weapons are safely collected the warrior approaches you, without offering any courtesy, and begins to speak in a heavily local accent. "I am Siubhail. I have guided these people so far, but i can no longer help them. I will stay with them, make sure they are well, but once they are settled i will leave. I see now that the plague has dispersed in most places, but there are still other outlying hamlets that may yet be struck with the disease. I am immune, i will go to these places and deliver the people there from it's horror. If you will offer me help i will not deny it, and i will remain for a while to rest, so that you might decide if you should help me." He pauses and sets a piercing on you. "Or perhaps you will decide i need to be stopped. You have not seen the horror of the plague, it would not surprise me if you think me barbaric. We shall see." Not quite sure what to make of him you dismiss him to think about what he's said. He offers a stiff bow that clearly comes only with great effort, and leaves to help his people get settled.

The refugees pitch tents and build crude huts behind the walls of your palisade, huddling together in a makeshift camp. There's plenty of space, so it doesn't interfere with any of your affairs. In the meantime, while you wait on each of your vassals you make your own preparations for the coming march. You put Balpher to the task of running the soldiers through night drills. He winces visibly at this request, and in the coming days you notice a few of the soldiers complain at their sleep being interupted, but no one complains too loudly about it. You do some training of your own in the armour you've been given, getting used to the weight and feel of it. Despite it not quite fitting perfectly it's not so heavy when cinched and settled around your body. The particular shirt was clearly made with lightness in mind, the gauge of the rings small, and it probably fit the person it was made for like a glove. The helm doesn't obscure your vision very much either, except ouut of the very corners of your eyes. All the same, you begin to notice chafing on your body from the chainmail over the coming days, it's incredibly irritating, like the armor pinches every once in a while, and it only gets worse the more you wear it. All the same, it doesn't take long to get used to the weight, and though you might tire a little more quickly in it, you don't think you should have much trouble fighting in it. Your sword-work remains as good as ever, perhaps even steadily improving, though you spend some time considering your weapon. It's a duelling saber, the smallest bit more ornate than it needs to be, but not driven into impracticality. The design is a little different than a cavalry saber, which is a little sturdier in the blade, but that's less a matter of impracticality and more one of balance. You suppose you could switch to an arming sword or a short sword easily enough, both also weapons that you have training in, or the aforementioned cavalry saber. You're a little conflicted on this, so you leave the matter for another time.
You have Desan pay the adventurers an appropriate amount from your store of silver -the legitimate currency of course, you still havn't decided quite what to do with those clipped coins-, and send Eduard to Bleakhaven with Aldagor. After that it's just a matter of waiting.

Being closer, Mayor Veera arrives first, leading his troops. He himself is dressed in simple armour, a cavalry saber at his side, and he meets you with a polite bow. With him has come the head of his town watch, a grim but respectful seeming man named Erik, girded in boiled leather, a bow strapped to his back. Veera has brought a little over forty men, which he explains is not the full extent of his forces, but merely the best of them. Half are able archers, the remainder a split of light footmen and scout cavalry. He's also brought pitch and tar as you requested, along with a few labourers and extra supplies.

After that comes Madagor, with additional forces of his own. He's brought no additional cavalry, save for a few personal gaurds, but instead has brought another twenty crossbowmen, another ten shieldbearers, and a band of fourteen mercanaries, each dressed in light armor and armed as skirmishers. With him has come an unarmoured young man, whom he introduces as his personal field engineer.

With these forces arrayed you cannot help but feel assured of victory against the force of bandits. If your information is correct your forces already outnumber them by several times.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 06, 2015, 07:26:46 pm »

"Very well. You may take a night of rest within our village and enjoy our hospitality. Tomorrow morning you may take your leave along with however much bread from our stores that you desire to carry, a set of leathers, and whatever traveling equipment you lack. I respect your journey, wanderer, even if I lament your unwillingness to join my ranks. You can trust that your people will be treated right here. I intend to tame this land, much unlike my predecessor. You are welcome here any time that you wish and I hope our paths cross again, under more blissful circumstances, of course. Take care, wanderer."

Let's see if we can't spare this guy a horse too. I want to see him again.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:35:08 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22