Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rotten Forgotten Beast  (Read 960 times)

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rotten Forgotten Beast
« on: July 05, 2015, 11:28:36 pm »

I've had an FB wandering around in caverns beneath my fort for a long time, it's responsible for the death of two GCS that I only noticed were down there when it was killing them, (a third died to a cave ogre in similar fashion, and before that I'd never even been blessed to see one) and I have occasionally noticed very large amounts of miasma emanating from places I zoom to when checking combat reports.

Recently I saw it moving around the cavern and realized that the miasma was coming from it in an incredible plume that trailed out wherever it walked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I of course examined it and found:

Which went on for seven pages. Seriously, seven pages of scars! The last one was pretty much full too.

So I guess this FB is poisoning itself constantly when attacking other creatures and rotting every external part of itself away over and over. Or maybe there was another one that caused that and it has never recovered. I wonder how much impact this has on my framerate.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Rotten Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 12:51:26 am »

Do you have the capability to web some traps and capture the beast for weaponization?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 12:12:04 pm »

"Beware its poisonous gas." Yep, sounds like a self-gassing FB. I'm surprised it hasn't bled itself to death. Here lies the Newt, slain by the Newt, slayer of the Newt.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 12:57:42 pm »

I'm surprised it isn't immune to its own poisonous gas. I thought that was standard for all procedurally generated creatures?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:04 pm »

Or, alternatively, it has somehow come into contact with the syndrome bearing blood/extract/juice of some other FB, which it would not be immune to.
This is a blank sig.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 04:30:15 pm »

I'm surprised it isn't immune to its own poisonous gas. I thought that was standard for all procedurally generated creatures?

I thought it wasn't. I dunno. The above is the most logical explanation.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 04:32:26 pm »

I had a particularly terrifying one that rotted flesh with deadly dust rot itself. I believe they aren't immune to their own dust.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.