Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dawn of War 3: It Might Be a Thing  (Read 2527 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Dawn of War 3: It Might Be a Thing
« on: July 05, 2015, 01:54:48 pm »

https://www.namecheap.com/domains/whois/results.aspx?domain=dawn%20of%20war%203

No idea what any of that stuff means? Me neither.

But apparently the domain dawnofwar3.com, registered back in 2008, has gotten some ownership updates about two weeks ago, late June. It is now owned by SEGA, and is being handled by Relic's IT department. What does this mean for the game? It's still up to speculation since this is the only evidence anything might be happening at all, but it's worth keeping an eye on.
Nothing important here, move along.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of War 3: It Might Be a Thing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 01:57:59 pm »

We've been discussing this in the GD 40k thread.

Curious to see what the game plan is: retread DoW 2, or change things up like when DoW 1 --> DoW 2. Wasn't really a fan of the change from RTS to RTT, and I'm really hoping they go back to big battles, lots of units and good terrain destruction.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 02:07:06 pm »

I remember one game in DoW 1 where i finaly fell down after a massive battle under the green tide and i mean it, it was a massive green tide... I had 6 bolter turret firing, 4 missile turrent, 3 squad with heavy bolter, rocket. Firing non stop oh i also had my commander firing orbital laser down like there was no tomorow. past the choke point i couldnt see the map anymore.. it was that crazy.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »

That's basically all I spent my time doing in DoW 1: building custom chokepoint maps for SP and co-op comp stomps. That shit was glorious. DoW 2 couldn't even begin to serve as a substitute for that, the games were just too different.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 02:43:28 pm »

I agree, dawn of war 2 was ok.... but that's it, just ok. Relic saw the success of CoH so they decided to adapt DoW to that gameplay model but it just didn't work very well IMO. Too much retreat spam, too small of a scale, king of the hill multiplayer... it just didn't fit thematically and gameplay wise if I wanted CoH-style RTT I'd play CoH.

I really hope they go back to DoW1 style RTS, or at least try something completely different.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 02:49:20 pm »

To be honest, I think they'll 100% stick with DoW2 style. With Total War:Warhammer coming out I doubt they'll want to try to do the 'big battles' RTS at the same time.

I'd prefer that they did something a bit different. I could imagine a sort of much advanced current-gen RTT working well. A bit like a much more tactical/strategic Gears of War.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 02:51:35 pm »

I do like the RPG aspects of DoW2...but I agree in that I liked the large scale of DoW1

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 02:56:01 pm »

I remember one game in DoW 1 where i finaly fell down after a massive battle under the green tide and i mean it, it was a massive green tide... I had 6 bolter turret firing, 4 missile turrent, 3 squad with heavy bolter, rocket. Firing non stop oh i also had my commander firing orbital laser down like there was no tomorow. past the choke point i couldnt see the map anymore.. it was that crazy.

Sounds like you had.... not enuff dakka;)

DoW3 shouldn't really surprise anyone.  Hell, they've probably been working on it for 3+ years.  I haven't played DoW2 yet, having just bought in with the relic weekly bundle not long ago, but I wouldn't mind if they went back to some base building for DoW3.

I hope they go easy on the graphics arms race, and put more energy into expanding the scale of engagement that the simulation can handle.  Officially supported Apocalypse-scale battle might just be excellent.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 03:03:18 pm »

To be honest, I think they'll 100% stick with DoW2 style. With Total War:Warhammer coming out I doubt they'll want to try to do the 'big battles' RTS at the same time.

I'd prefer that they did something a bit different. I could imagine a sort of much advanced current-gen RTT working well. A bit like a much more tactical/strategic Gears of War.

I think you're probably correct, I expect it to be another CoH clone too which is why my hype level is minimal. Especially considering how inexplicably popular last stand was (which is about as minimal and small scale as it can possibly get) I don't expect them to do a "large scale" game.

But I can hope that at the very least they try and change things up a little bit. I finally got retribution from the humble bundle a while back and it made me remember just how stale and dull the game felt. if DoW3 is basically DoW2 + a new coat of paint I don't know that I'd even be interesting in playing it even if it was free.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 03:04:50 pm »

Sounds like you had.... not enuff dakka;)

DoW3 shouldn't really surprise anyone.  Hell, they've probably been working on it for 3+ years.  I haven't played DoW2 yet, having just bought in with the relic weekly bundle not long ago, but I wouldn't mind if they went back to some base building for DoW3.

I hope they go easy on the graphics arms race, and put more energy into expanding the scale of engagement that the simulation can handle.  Officially supported Apocalypse-scale battle might just be excellent.

Agreed, I really wish they'd stop caring about graphical fidelity as much as spectacle. I can overlook some jagged edges and blurry textures if I'm fighting a massive horde of whatevers.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 03:14:47 pm »

Agreed, I really wish they'd stop caring about graphical fidelity as much as spectacle. I can overlook some jagged edges and blurry textures if I'm fighting a massive horde of whatevers.

Yeah, I spend most of my time zoomed out, so the polygon count and texture work is wasted on me, for sure.

I kinda wish there was an option to zoom out far and get strategic icons like in SupCom.  I doubt it'll happen, though.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 04:15:02 pm »

Whatever form it takes, I hope they maintain the kill moves and tons of voice lines the previous games had.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 04:23:31 pm »

Oh the voice lines were the best, many of the early one's are quite memorable and the DoW2's while toned down were pretty good as well.

"MORE SACRIFICES! MORE DEAAATH! MORE GLORIOUS CARNAAAAAAAAGE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gSJW3sHXE

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 04:25:41 pm »

Yeah, I spend most of my time zoomed out, so the polygon count and texture work is wasted on me, for sure.

I kinda wish there was an option to zoom out far and get strategic icons like in SupCom.  I doubt it'll happen, though.

God, that'd be glorious though, wouldn't it? Having your UA size battle just being a part of an even larger war. Even if it all just gets abstracted, sending some of your units off-map to reinforce a push or calling in reinforcements from somewhere else would be great. So many strategic opportunities.

Think of it like Simcity 5, but with guns and stuff. Many instances of battle, all going at once, all interconnected and part of a larger war. Now for that particular gamemode, I could forgive an always online thing. Because it would be so damn cool.

I'm hoping they go the DoW1 route, or scale it up even more. Because while I might care slightly about my commander, I care way more about having epic clashes with 1000s slain in the name of the Emperor (by my Orks).

DoW1 still looks "better" than DoW2, just due to the scale of battles. Less polys yes, but so many more tanks and troops utilizing them.

To tell you the truth, the graphics even held up pretty well over time, considered in a vacuum, as RTS wargames go. They're not horribly ugly, even today. It's not as though SC2 is all THAT pretty, neither is DoW2, or PA. But they're all lacking a certain amount of dakka, that only DoW1 has been able to give us.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:32:53 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 04:40:17 pm »

I am terrible at strategy games, and I was terrible at Dawn of War (though I've never played DoW 2) but it didn't stop me from enjoying my time playing IG against bots, especially with friends. I'm not much of a competitive person, so I say it'd be cool to see a co-op campaign of sorts.

As for DoW 1 versus DoW 2... I honestly scan't say. On one hand building bases can be quite fun, but on the other hand the way Men of War handled reinforcements worked quite well (and I believe Wargame even does it that way quite successfully).

In fact, imagine DoW on a Wargame scale... would that not be awesome?

EDIT: Just read through the thread... something like what Sambojin is suggesting sounds a bit like an MMORTS.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:17:54 pm by OzyTheSage »
Pages: [1] 2