Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fantasy TBS/RPG Game recommendations?  (Read 5541 times)

Blitzkrieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fantasy TBS/RPG Game recommendations?
« on: July 04, 2015, 12:58:37 pm »

Looking for game recommendations for this fantasy TBS/RPG fan(atic). I've played virtually every major fantasy TBS/RPG release, but as a reference, some of the games I enjoy (or enjoyed but no longer enjoy) in particular include Disciples series, Master of Magic, AoW series, HoMM series (not so much any longer due to lack of innvoation and staleness), Dominions series (not so much any longer for the same reasons), Total War series (not so much due to the increasing number of bugs and poor tactical combat mechanics and general focus on glitzy features over bread and butter stuff), Baldur's Gate series, Dragon Age series (not so much due to the same reasons as my increasing disillusionment with Total War series).

I tend to keep an eagle-eyed watch over new games in the genre, but just wondering if there is a gem that I missed. Thanks in advance!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy TBS/RPG Game recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 01:12:17 pm »

Majesty is a gem, but it's kind of a very different game from the ones on that list. It's basically like how a normal RPG would look like from the view of the ruler who sets up those shops for heroes. Basically it's indirect control RTS/RPG (you can slow down time to a crawl with a button, so you can play it somewhat like a TBS, too). Heroes are very different not only in stats and abilities, but also in personalities.
._.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 01:19:48 pm »

Well there's Drakensang (The CRPG not the MMO) that's very similar to Baldurs Gate and icewind dale.

As for TBS... well there are mods for civilization games and a fantasy mode in CiV2 Test of time.

Warlock Master of Arcane that plays a bit like a simplefied Civ5.

Eador... a weird game that plays like a mashup of AoW HoMM and Master of Magic. I got it cheap on a sale at GoG but didn't really get into it but you might like it... and it's dirt cheap when it goes on sale.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 01:34:06 pm »

Oh yeah, definitely recommend Eador. It's a hella slow and hard game. Like, it managed to kick my ass on the lowest difficulty level - and there are about 10 of them. It has a lot of strategy in it though.
._.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 01:41:13 pm »

As far as RPGs go, there's recently been Divinity: Original Sin. A kickstarter-funded party turn-based RPG that it turns out is actually pretty good. Although there's an enhanced edition coming, so not sure if you wouldn't prefer to hold off on that till that comes.

In the vein of Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age (1), there's recently been Pillars of Eternity. Party-based, real-time with pause.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 01:44:39 pm »

total war is fantasy?

for a TBS have you tried Blood Bowl?

Baldur's Gate series, Dragon Age series (not so much due to the same reasons as my increasing disillusionment with Total War series).
well both of these are real-time so it's no surprise that the tactical combat mechanics are poor

have you tried Temple of Elemental Evil (with the unofficial patch), Knights of the Chalice, or the old Gold Box games? all turn-based DnD

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 04:08:37 pm »

Battle for wesnoth? Got several different factions, it's free to play and has a very active modding community. Something like three hundred or so different campaigns. Some of them are even set up to be more like normal rpg adventures than a tbs.

Blitzkrieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 01:52:40 pm »

Majesty is a gem, but it's kind of a very different game from the ones on that list. It's basically like how a normal RPG would look like from the view of the ruler who sets up those shops for heroes. Basically it's indirect control RTS/RPG (you can slow down time to a crawl with a button, so you can play it somewhat like a TBS, too). Heroes are very different not only in stats and abilities, but also in personalities.

I remember thinking about getting Majesty when that came out, but that odd style of gameplay you mention is what held me back. I will reconsider.

Well there's Drakensang (The CRPG not the MMO) that's very similar to Baldurs Gate and icewind dale.

As for TBS... well there are mods for civilization games and a fantasy mode in CiV2 Test of time.

Warlock Master of Arcane that plays a bit like a simplefied Civ5.

Eador... a weird game that plays like a mashup of AoW HoMM and Master of Magic. I got it cheap on a sale at GoG but didn't really get into it but you might like it... and it's dirt cheap when it goes on sale.

Thanks for Drakensang; I didn't know about that one.

I do recall playing Fall from Heaven (or something like that) one one of the Civ games, but that engine really limits you, and I'd like TBS games that actually have a separate tactical combat component.

I do have both Warlock and Eador, but I find them both problematic. Warlock is extremely simplified with little depth, and Eador is buggy and honestly unplayable.

As far as RPGs go, there's recently been Divinity: Original Sin. A kickstarter-funded party turn-based RPG that it turns out is actually pretty good. Although there's an enhanced edition coming, so not sure if you wouldn't prefer to hold off on that till that comes.

In the vein of Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age (1), there's recently been Pillars of Eternity. Party-based, real-time with pause.

Thanks for the Divinity reference; I will check it out.

I have Pillars of Eternity.

for a TBS have you tried Blood Bowl?...

have you tried Temple of Elemental Evil (with the unofficial patch), Knights of the Chalice, or the old Gold Box games? all turn-based DnD

Is Blood Bowl TBS? I didn't know. I am a big Warhammer fan, but oddly I've never tried Blood Bowl.

Temple of Elemental Evil and Knights of the Chalice look very old. In fact, they look so old that our modern computers probably couldn't play them! ;)
Battle for wesnoth? Got several different factions, it's free to play and has a very active modding community. Something like three hundred or so different campaigns. Some of them are even set up to be more like normal rpg adventures than a tbs.

Used to play Wesnoth, but no longer.

Blitzkrieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 01:55:52 pm »

Forgot to ask whether anyone play Slitherine games? I've played their historical war games, but I am particularly interested in whether anyone has played their scifi or fantasy games. I am especially interested in their new Warhammer 40k game and a fantasy game called Fantasy Kommander.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 02:03:37 pm »

Is Blood Bowl TBS?
it is tbs the same way chess is tbs, except unlike chess it also an element of team management strategy between games

Temple of Elemental Evil and Knights of the Chalice look very old. In fact, they look so old that our modern computers probably couldn't play them! ;)
ToEE is newer than baldur's gate, KotC came out the same year as dragon age

both run on modern computers
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:05:59 pm by TripJack »

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 02:09:00 pm »

King of dragon pass?
Description copied from wikipedia.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've played it before and it's fun as hell.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 02:10:13 pm »

40K Armageddon by Slitherine is a really basic game. At times it feels like a reskinned version of Panzer General, or whatever your hex-based WWII game of choice is. For me, it was a bit too much "80s TBS war game" for me to get into, and it lacks a lot of polish and flair. Very few sounds, very few animations, units look soso. I also got annoyed when I had basic mobs of orks trashing my tanks with ranged weapons. It just didn't feel very 40k, except for the name of the game, the unit names and the brief mission introduction.

I'd pass on it, personally, or at least watch some Youtube videos.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 08:40:43 pm »

As a very basic rpg experience, with battles being the strategic part, Ultima IV on the SMS can almost qualify. Admittedly, the strategies available are pretty limited, but some dungeon runs do have a bit. Overworld fights aren't at all though.

Still, it's a good story, and essentially free these days. The Sega version is probably the best one, because you actually have to do the RPG work to progress (other versions suffered in the "you already know what to type" way for the storyline).

I take it you've played Shining Force, Fire Emblem and all that sort of console stuff as well? Final Fantasy Tactics wasn't bad, but not exactly deep either.

Lords of the Realm 1+2 could just about qualify, if you take your lands as your RPG "character".
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:44:05 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 02:02:26 am »

If you liked Master of Magic play Warlock: Master of the Arcane (and Warlock 2: The Exiled). They're basically the same game but with a hex grid and different army management.

If you liked Baldur's Gate try Temple of Elemental Evil and, if you can find it, Dark Queen of Krynn. They're also based on D&D.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 02:29:51 am »

I disliked Warlock, but I like Warlock II very much. I don't even know what the difference exactly is, but that's just how it goes.

If you loved Master of Magic, Worlds of Magic might interest you. It is basically just a modern clone of MoM, all the original weaknesses and good things are still in.

For a story-based RPG which plays very differently depending on the start you choose, I heartily recommend Age of Decadence.
Pages: [1] 2 3