Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Three barons to three dukes  (Read 1476 times)

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Three barons to three dukes
« on: July 02, 2015, 05:46:06 pm »

I just had a rather horrifying experience in my current fortress. Let me set it up first.

Some time ago my fort met the requirements to become a barony, and I made my bookkeeper/manager/broker the baron. Not long after that I got a message that one of my dwarves inherited the position of baron of some distant land. Then a while later another dwarf inherited and I had to make room for a third baron.

Just now, however, I was informed that I was ready to become a duchy, and was pretty happy about that.

Right up until I noticed that ALL THREE barons were now dukes, with lots of new yellow needs. Seriously? Two of them don't even rule here, why must all three be upgraded?

So is this a bug? Has anyone else experienced this? Am I just really unfortunate?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Three barons to three dukes
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 05:57:28 pm »

There are some solutions to the problem.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:31:59 pm »

Sounds like a bug. Even if the other two baronies were eligible for upgrading to duchies, doesn't the outpost liaison have to be present to perform the upgrading? So it probably wouldn't happen at the same time.

Post a bug report, then apply magma to the situation before it gets worse.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:40:14 pm »

Before applying magma, it may be wise to check if anyone them have any children first. If their children are in your fort then the title will just be passed on. It might also be possible to get two of them married which would mean they share their rooms so you only need one set for two dukes. Also if you kill your own duke who doesn't have a child then I'm not sure exactly how the next duke is determined, but they'll probably be picked at random from your fortress population, so it might bee best to avoid killing that duke at least.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 02:30:59 am »

Bah. Nobles no longer go insane instantly when they don't have nice rooms.

Actually I had a queen in the second (i think) year, and I did an apartment complex in the second year. And yet the queen is OK, it's also one of my original seven so no killing of nobles. Also it's my queen ! Leader of my civ !

I've only updated her room to queen worthy quarters, yet she is just happy. I assume all the happy thoughts about furniture counteract the unhappy snotty noble thoughts.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 08:07:51 pm »

Sounds like a bug. Even if the other two baronies were eligible for upgrading to duchies, doesn't the outpost liaison have to be present to perform the upgrading? So it probably wouldn't happen at the same time.

Post a bug report, then apply magma to the situation before it gets worse.

Actually the liason came, said we were being upgraded, and the upgrade happened as soon as he left the map. All three were upgraded at the same time, so yes, I'd say it's probably a bug.

And killing them doesn't fit the flavor of this fort or my playstyle, but the number of mandates may be too insane... I may have my hand forced at some point, if I keep playing.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 12:23:17 pm »

Make a nice sized jail and ignore mandates forever.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 06:12:09 pm »

To answer the OP again, this seems like a bug relating to how nobles upgrade - the game probably just lacks a sanity check to ensure that only YOUR baron is upgraded, and just blindly upgrades ALL barons to dukes, so it's probably just a minor oversight bug that can get solved fairly quickly, and was never quashed because Toady never thought to test it. 

Upload a save before you go killing anyone to DFFD and Mantis, in any event, so that this can be fixed.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 07:23:40 pm »

To answer the OP again, this seems like a bug relating to how nobles upgrade - the game probably just lacks a sanity check to ensure that only YOUR baron is upgraded, and just blindly upgrades ALL barons to dukes, so it's probably just a minor oversight bug that can get solved fairly quickly, and was never quashed because Toady never thought to test it. 

Upload a save before you go killing anyone to DFFD and Mantis, in any event, so that this can be fixed.

This seemed the most likely cause to me, too. I didn't think to upload it, but all three are still alive so I can. I'm using unmodded raws, however I am using a lot of DFhack for things like workflow, tweaks and such. It seems unlikely to me that it should cause that particular problem, but it's still important to note.

As for mandates, I've mostly been meeting them, only ignoring a few more difficult ones. My Captain of the Guard keeps being outraged about the scarcity of chains and cages, however, and he's upwords of 60,000 stress for it. I have 10 usable justice rooms, how many does he need to calm down? This is very annoying currently.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 06:32:52 pm »

Does he need to actually see the chains for himself before calming down?
I had a frustrated captain of the guard who got over his stress eventually. This may or may not have coincided with my setting the fortress guard patrol route to pass through the dungeon.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 11:17:20 pm »

I was wondering that, but instead of trying that I just relieved him of the position for now. I'll put him back on when the stress drops way down from the 80,000+ it is now.