Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Who the hell is this "Armok" guy anyway?  (Read 6807 times)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Who the hell is this "Armok" guy anyway?
« on: July 01, 2015, 02:47:32 am »

So, all we really know about him is what we know from the title. He's the god of blood, and the dwarves are apparently his slaves.

It's generally accepted that he's the leader of any and all dwarven pantheons, and the randomly generated deities are beneath him.

But who is he?

Well, it's fairly obvious when you think about it.

Armok is the PLAYER.

He is literally the player character. He creates the world, orders some dwarves around for a while, and it ends badly. Losing is fun, remember? It's probably appropriate to call any given DF player a god (or goddess) of blood.

It isn't a very complicated theory with a giant wall of evidence behind it, but it doesn't need to be either. Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who the hell is this "Armok" guy anyway?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 05:00:06 am »

Armok is a fictional being that players insist on including in their stories despite overwhelming evidence of his non-existence. Much like an Earth God I suppose...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 05:14:37 am »

Armok isn't an entity. Armok is a status. A status of having working arms.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 05:45:12 am »

Armok is the PLAYER.

Blasphemy !

Armok is an all-permeating force when you play DF. Armok lords over all universes and we are all it's slaves.

The will of Armok is that forgotten beast when you have just opened the caverns and are unable to defend against it. The will of Armok is this particular dwarf dodging into magma instead of in stable ground.

Armok is to be pleased by the shedding of blood and sacrifices made in his name (better done if there is blood spilled, or in magma). Hell, even not in his name... all blood spilled strengthens Armok.

Armok is also pleased by overly complicated projects. And anything involving magma.

The more I think of it, the more I think Armok is the collective will of all DF players... but no ! It is blasphemy !

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:31:47 am »

Armok is the Great World Cat, who has adopted all dwarves throughout history. All cats were made in his image and are the instrument of his will; the ultimate goal is to spin every dwarven beard that ever was, is, and will be, into a giant ball of yarn for Armok, marking the end of days, a great apocalypse in which the world sinks into the litter-box of eternity.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:56:52 pm by Urist McPanzerbeard »
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 07:26:25 am »

Armok isn't an entity. Armok is a status. A status of having working arms.

THE ALMIGHTY INTEGER

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 07:27:40 am »

This has been discussed many times already. Personally I think the idea that the player is Armok is quite a fun one, and makes sense, but then there's always somebody that shows up and says "Actually Toady plans to eventually have you be limited by the power of the nobles of a fortress and so really you're actually just one of those nobles that everybody hates." Which, while it might be true, I feel is a really boring uncreative way of looking at it, but again, it's supposedly what Toady wants, so I can handle some different opinions.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:27:56 am »

This has been discussed many times already. Personally I think the idea that the player is Armok is quite a fun one, and makes sense, but then there's always somebody that shows up and says "Actually Toady plans to eventually have you be limited by the power of the nobles of a fortress and so really you're actually just one of those nobles that everybody hates." Which, while it might be true, I feel is a really boring uncreative way of looking at it, but again, it's supposedly what Toady wants, so I can handle some different opinions.
The more Toady moves towards realistic roles and established mythologies for each new world, the more players will find a role for 'Armok'. The whole development of Dwarf Fortress is a simply a test of everyone's faith in the Blood God.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:56:44 am »

Armok is the Great World Cat, who has adopted all dwarves throughout history. All cats were made in his image and are the instrument of his will; the ultimate goal is to spin every dwarven beard that ever was, is, and will be, into a giant ball of yarn for Armok, marking the end of days, a great apocalpyse in which the world sinks into the litter-box of eternity.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Head-canon accepted. My dwarves are Egyptian now.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:33:55 am »

Heretical legends proclaim that Armok is a creation of The Toad Prophet, that Armok simply means "Arm OK", which the prophet supposedly attained from some or other electronic game.

The heretics must burn, the flesh on their bones must turn to ash and be scattered into the winds.
The Toad Prophet is simply the servant of Armok, expressing It's will in a way that we mere mortals can comprehend.

What is Armok?
Who is Armok?
Armok is intangible.

*PyroTechno is flayed for spreading heretical texts*
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:35:46 am by Camulus »

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 06:50:43 pm »

Armok is the code to DF, as Physics is the code to our universe.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 12:35:40 pm »

Heretical legends proclaim that Armok is a creation of The Toad Prophet, that Armok simply means "Arm OK", which the prophet supposedly attained from some or other electronic game.

The heretics must burn, the flesh on their bones must turn to ash and be scattered into the winds.
The Toad Prophet is simply the servant of Armok, expressing It's will in a way that we mere mortals can comprehend.

What is Armok?
Who is Armok?
Armok is intangible.

*PyroTechno is flayed for spreading heretical texts*

Burn the Heretic!
Kill the Elf!
Purge the Unclean!

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 08:20:50 pm »

Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 09:27:02 pm »

Armok is the PLAYER.
Blasphemy !
Armok IS the PLAYER.
Toady said so.
He's just trying to draw attention away from the truth. Armok was Scamps all along.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 09:58:22 pm »

Headcanon: The gameworld itself is Armok. The dwarves are slaves to the world itself, and the "blood" is a metaphor for magma.

My actual headcanon is that the player is Armok, hence the "slaves" part--you make the dorfs do stuff they probably don't want to for often very little or no reward, and the Adventure Mode personality bug of DF2014 shows that the player possesses random people--they're slaves, so to speak.

I just wanted to contribute something new.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4