Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Deathwatch: 40K RPG - Smells like Heresy...  (Read 7922 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Deathwatch: 40K RPG - Smells like Heresy...
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 06:14:39 pm »

An bump!  I'm back to my home now, and intent on setup up this game for real.  Anyone want to die cold and alone under the waning glow of an alien sun's stark light?  Now accepting Space Marines with intent to serve The Emperor!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 02:15:58 pm »

Very much so interested, done DH, rogue trader and only war but not death watch yet.  Figure it'd be extremely fun.
Nom nom nom

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 05:56:30 pm »

I can give a tentative yes, but it really depends on the timing.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 01:15:42 pm »

And so the dreaded Player Availability Timetable rears its ugly head.

Add one Aqizzar to the list.  Available times are 6PM Central to Whenever on Mondays Wednesdays and Thursdays; a little later for Tuesdays; same time but unreliable for Fridays.  Sundays might open in the near future depending on how long the Dark Heresy game I'm already doing then survives.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 02:23:18 pm »

Current timing is likely US Saturday evenings, something like 4pm onwards.  Possibly the same time Sunday, depending which is more convenient.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 02:25:58 pm »

That will probably work, if my Fiasco group actually finishes up this Saturday.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 02:26:15 pm »

ah if that is the case I can't play than, got neoniveks games on sun/sat 4est now.
Nom nom nom

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 03:28:57 pm »

Current timing is likely US Saturday evenings, something like 4pm onwards.  Possibly the same time Sunday, depending which is more convenient.

Unfortunately my ongoing Dark Heresy game is the same time, so I have to bow out.  Thanks for the inspiration on asking this forum though, gives me some ideas.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 07:15:12 pm »

Just a bump, beginning tomorrow probably, if anyone wants in.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 08:42:31 am »

While I absolutely love Dark Heresy, playing as a Space Marine has a lot of problems.

Never mind the fact that you're an overpowered killing machine. Space Marines, in my opinion, would lack the free will to be played as characters in a tabletop. I honestly can't see a player being able to pull off playing a Space Marine properly. And if they did, you'd lack the free will/player choice that comes with most tabletops. I dunno though.

I got all of my dakka fix from playing an operative in Dark Heresy who obtained a bolter. Same thing, more believable than a SM negotiating with a xeno "Cuz Inquisition said to be quiet".

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 09:43:13 am »

What time?

EDIT: Should I bring an already made character, or just make one in the session?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 11:48:11 am »

While I absolutely love Dark Heresy, playing as a Space Marine has a lot of problems.

Never mind the fact that you're an overpowered killing machine. Space Marines, in my opinion, would lack the free will to be played as characters in a tabletop. I honestly can't see a player being able to pull off playing a Space Marine properly. And if they did, you'd lack the free will/player choice that comes with most tabletops. I dunno though.

I got all of my dakka fix from playing an operative in Dark Heresy who obtained a bolter. Same thing, more believable than a SM negotiating with a xeno "Cuz Inquisition said to be quiet".
That depends how stringently you follow the Codex Astartes.  Some say "Stand in line, fire for effect, walk forward" others say "Is the enemy of the Emperor dead?  Then it's all good!"  I'm not going to enforce a lot of strict regiment, you can seek into whatever battle strategy you find most effective.  And there's potential for some weird ones, like throwing specialization, and then throwing dead orks at their own warboss.  Borderline heresy, you ARE using Orken weapons, but...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 12:47:53 pm »

No promises about the future, I'm interested in deathwatch but I'm a little iffy on how it can actually go as an RPG.  especially the way FFG has generally been taking things since Rogue Trader, there's a lot of rules for things that probably shouldn't need rules (Black Crusade was probably the worst for this).

But I think it definitely could be awesome if done right.  The fact that they're so overpowered should really give you plenty of time to explore what space marines do when they're not killing.  I kind of like the idea mentioned earlier in the thread about demigods grappling with their purpose.  Lots of room for tragedy with space marines.  They remind me of Superman, alien gods fighting and dying for some lesser race; why?  You wonder why so many go to chaos, I think after a few centuries of battling demons for the sake of a trillion factory peasants I'd start to hate humans.

So, at least to see how things go, I'll be there today.  What time exactly, 3 or 4?
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2015, 07:56:31 am »

I came by a half hour or so late and nobody was there.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3