Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Alternative Dwarven Economy: Revolts, Schools, Taxes, and Industry. (Long)  (Read 24565 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But comrad Splint, comrad Cookie clearly speaks the truth. Comrad Toady obviously only talks about implementing systems that go against our pure communist ideals to throw the capitalist pigs off. He even briefly made an economic system that was suspiciously capitalistic before (obviously, never intending on keeping it) to baffle the bourgeoise scum.

But now everything is perfectly communist and, if Lenin's spirit wills it, will become even more so over time.

All in a day's work....... ;) ;)

Not sure if it was a lapse, though. The sheer arrogance of that statement is what set me off. He thinks it's silly that we make conjectures about the direction the game is taking by judging the words of the developers, and yet he does the exact same thing with even less proof.

"The developers simply wanted the game to be communist because that's how the game works right now! (if you willfully ignore the whole nobility thing), and they could have easily implemented a different system before if they wanted it to be something else".

Comrads, I don't even...

I was only responding to the sheer arrogance of Splint in the way that he asserts the true Feudal nature of Dwarf Fortress society based upon mechanics that do not exist but might exist in the future; as if he were Toady One in disguise. 

No I do not think that the devs intended to replicate a dwarf communist utopia, the existance of the 'nobility' thing is a sign that the devs created the society that they did essentially by accident.  The initially wanted to create a Feudal society in imitation of Epic Fantasy but they also wanted to create a game that emphasised things that a feudal government neither does not concerns itself with.  Feudal lords care nothing for how and when the plump helmets got made by the peasants, all they care about is that the peasants are able to pay their taxes, whether in money or in plump helmets or labour. 

The result is a nomenclature that is essentially deceptive.  They were supposed to be one thing but what they ended up actually being is something else entirely given the nature of the society that they rule over; since we are running a centrally planned economy based upon collective ownership they bear a far greater resemblence to the people in charge of specifically North Korea.  Our king is basically the last Kim in charge and like the real Dear Leader he expects a rather nicer room than the average peasant or worker.

The problem here is actually at core one of genre.  The kind of game which DF has always been does not lend itself to modelling Feudalism which is better modelled by the traditional strategy game, indeed that genre cannot generally depict a world through any lens and POV than Feudalism.  Remember folks that Feudalism is not the same thing as having a heirachy of leaders and calling them "King", "Duke", "Baron" and "Count", it is particular form of society with an attendant government which has particular concerns in some areas and particular LACK of concerns in others. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:03:39 pm by GoblinCookie »

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The result is a nomenclature that is essentially deceptive.  They were supposed to be one thing but what they ended up actually being is something else entirely given the nature of the society that they rule over; since we are running a centrally planned economy based upon collective ownership they bear a far greater resemblence to the people in charge of specifically North Korea.  Our king is basically the last Kim in charge and like the real Dear Leader he expects a rather nicer room than the average peasant or worker.

That's how you roleplay. You can also take all the immigrants you get into a room, and pour lava over them. As long as you build enough slabs to avoid ghosts, the other dwarves won't give a crap. Your resident citizens can see the immirants repeatedly  comming in over and over again, being all assigned to a burrow and march to their certain deaths, and not care in the slightest. That must mean Dwarf Fortress is some kind of unintentionally made nazi holocaust Simulator. Right?

The game only resembles a communist society to you because you want it to. Officially, it isn't. And as more future features are being added (as we make conjectures over Toady's words), the "official" organization of dwarven society will become more and more feudal. I'm sure that you'll always find a way around that, but that's all you, comrad Cookie.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:36:46 pm by Ribs »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I was only responding to the sheer arrogance of Splint in the way that he asserts the true Feudal nature of Dwarf Fortress society based upon mechanics that do not exist but might exist in the future; as if he were Toady One in disguise. 

I don't exactly know how I was being arrogant. Never claimed to know exactly how things were going and everything was guesswork based on stuff other people have said, some firsthand experience, and various stories. I even pointed out I was talking out of my ass earlier in the thread, and just making a bunch of guesses, and if I came off like an arrogant shithead then I do apologize because I wasn't trying to be.

In fairness though, you didn't exactly look like a paragon of wisdom or anything yourself. You came off like you were arguing for the sake of arguing, which I admit I didn't exactly help since I argued back a bit more intently than I probably should have.

No I do not think that the devs intended to replicate a dwarf communist utopia, the existance of the 'nobility' thing is a sign that the devs created the society that they did essentially by accident.  The initially wanted to create a Feudal society in imitation of Epic Fantasy but they also wanted to create a game that emphasised things that a feudal government neither does not concerns itself with.  Feudal lords care nothing for how and when the plump helmets got made by the peasants, all they care about is that the peasants are able to pay their taxes, whether in money or in plump helmets or labour. 

The problem here is actually at core one of genre.  The kind of game which DF has always been does not lend itself to modelling Feudalism which is better modelled by the traditional strategy game, indeed that genre cannot generally depict a world through any lens and POV than Feudalism.  Remember folks that Feudalism is not the same thing as having a heirachy of leaders and calling them "King", "Duke", "Baron" and "Count", it is particular form of society with an attendant government which has particular concerns in some areas and particular LACK of concerns in others. 

And you would do well to remember just because things are all red commie flags now, it won't stay that way forever. And we're free to make our guesses and suggestions based on that.  And part of even that is perception. Some people see pure !!CAPITALISM!! waiting on the horizon for our dorfs to walk face-first into it. You see it as a vague communism simulator (yes, I'm grossly oversimplifying it,) while I see an unfinished feudal society with some capitalistic leanings in the future. And everyone has understandable reasons to make any of these assumptions, any one of which could turn out to be completely baseless even just a year or two from now.

But we can all agree elves are filthy savages for not embracing the concept of roofs and walls.

EDIT: Or stairs, the pointy-eared shits.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But we can all agree elves are filthy savages for not embracing the concept of roofs and walls.

The tree hugging capitalist have the gall to complain when our workers utilize the resources in their own commune! And then have the balls to come with their filthy "commerce" and try to force their disgusting goods onto us. Trust me, comrad Splint, the people's warhammer shall soon meet their dainty little heads.

oriramikad

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McUrist cancels job: Waiting for new laptop
    • View Profile

Trust me, comrad Splint, the people's warhammer shall soon meet their dainty little heads.
If revolutions are added, we need warhammer-powered guillotines.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For starters, don't use my name please unless this is going to devolve into a shouting match. When names start coming up (in my experience anyway,) either someone is starting to get condescending, or it may be a sign an argument is going to get ugly, and nobody wants that. And in this case, the mutual frustration being displayed towards eachother is a sign of the latter far more than the former.

Kings living in hillocks is usually a symptom of a civ being badly beaten or the last monarch being killed very recently. They normally live in major settlements, of which Hillocks are not. I've seen human leaders living in ruins too, for the same reasons, while they send people out to try and retake the major hubs.

Your own fortress can also have the unfortunate honor of housing a half dozen nobles of varying levels if they happen to be the heir or next of kin to one who was recently booted off his site or killed, so Barons being in hillocks isn't relevant either. I have personally never met anything higher than a Mayor in the hillocks of healthy dwarf civs, but maybe it's just because I don't play adventure mode much anymore.

No, a King normally ends up living in a hillocks or mountain hall because the initial fortress of the dwarf civilization is destroyed by a forgotten beast or megabeast a few years after the world is initially created.  The original King is normally killed off and a new King is crowned *in* the hillocks, rather than for instance one of the other fortresses.  The political centrality of fortresses is actually in mechanical terms a total figment of your imagination. 

I used it as an example of something that was there, but didn't work right for a variety of reasons. In the same vein, a political system could probably be implemented, but it more than likely wouldn't work in anywhere near a sufficiently fun and purposeful way, and would be largely irrelevant until you reached noble holding anyway, what with players typically setting up in the middle of nowhere with nothing but goblins and humans in all directions due to distance. Especially if nobody wants to set up smaller towns nearby for whatever reason.

As an example, if a war breaks out between your civ and some distant human civ, you won't get involved at all because the civ in question is too far away to harass your site. Likewise, you wouldn't be expected to do a damn thing because your own site is too far away to lend any meaningful aid besides shipping food and weapons back to the capital. But you'll still hear the endless reports of sites falling and being retaken from the liaison.

We already have a political system, it is just not a Feudal one and one that your settlement is largely exempt from as long as you keep on playing. 

I do not know where you get your statistics for the 'typical player' from though.

Sure you may be classed as a fortress as far as the game is concerned, but until you really get cooking in terms of wealth, architecture, and so on, you're not much better than a hillock.

Ergo, you may as well be a hillock starting out. Until you meet the requirements, your only leaders are the Militia Commander and Expedition Leader/Mayor. Generally, these will be the only leaders in hillocks from world-gen as well. I'll also note that hillocks and similar lesser sites can't be reclaimed by the player, only major ones can. That seems to imply your own fortress is intended to become a major site akin to the other mountainhomes or the capital, around which lesser sites can potentially spring up later down the line in the game's development.

Otherwise, where would we get our soldiers from to attack local elves and nearby pits once we have the ability to do that? No player fort has the manpower to successfully do that alone.

You are not better or worse or the same as a hillock when you start off.  Because a hillock is just a type of settlement, it tells us nothing about the status of the settlement and hillocks can even have barons of their own, although not brokers, managers, captains of the guard or hammerers. 

A hillocks can have all the wealth or population in the world but it is still a hillocks.

They're already there. Dark Pits, hillocks, and smaller tree cities fill the role of lesser towns, and are generally built around a fortified or larger center: Dark Fortresses, Keeps/fortresses, Mountainhalls, and larger Tree Cities. Humans have had their lesser sites for literally years in the form of hamlets/villages/non-keep towns.

Cave is also a bit of a misnomer really. Commoner Dwarves live in their little 2x2 apartments (in world-gen fortresses,) or in shared living mounds in world-gen locales based on firsthand observations. Goblins seems to prefer sharing large towers, while slaves and trolls live underground below those in Dark Pit sites, humans live similarly to dwarves (commoners live in small houses or shops while nobles and their personal guards/family live in the big keeps,) and elves do have their tree houses. The things are just a bitch to find. I'm guessing the royals among them live on or near the local mega tree (that is, the named ones.)

Seriously. I wandered around an elf site for 20 minutes before I realized they don't build walls or anything resembling them. Or ladders/stairs. Elves pretty much live on woven branch platforms, the dirty savages.

I am not talking about settlements, I am talking about PEASANTS.  You cannot have Feudalism without peasants, it is just not possible; since there are no peasants

The "dwarf caves" are tiny little indendations into the ground where the dwarf equivilant of peasants like, there would be at most 10 or so dwarves living in them.  In the hypothetical Feudal DF that Toady One could have initially made but did not these peasants produce the goods without player involvement that the player, without getting his hands dirty with actual work collects to support his dwarves.  These peasants do not belong to sites, they are just there (a lot like animal people) and are essentially defenseless should a single squad of goblins or come along to torment them.  When you turn up they join your site 'in a manner of speaking' but are still beyond your control in their labours and you only really see them as a source of resources for your real dwarves (who are mostly soldiers). 

Because nothing can be accomplished until you understand what Feudalism actually means, what I am describing is Feudalism at it's simplest and most sandbox level.  The 'bricks' that a Feudal order is made of and not the 'house' that is made of the bricks (Kings, Vassals, Barons, Fealty etc).

I've never seen dwarves not conquered by goblins trade in their settlements, nor have I ever seen a market in goblin territory. I'm sure they're there and I just never found them, but I've never seen it personally. Usually hillocks, hamlets, and smaller treetowns are derelict when they're near major goblin centers, at least in virtually all of my games, for whatever reason.

My guess is usually goblins, unless beaten to a pulp and conquered, will generally destroy nearby lesser sites. Hell, even during gameplay they often go after hillocks instead of you, even if you're a much easier target, and you can often come upon towns and hillocks being raided by the goblins.

I cannot think of a way to say this without boasting but: understand that I have a considerable knowledge of the mechanics that I am talking about from having extensively play-tested my mod.

The only sense to which hillocks are presently subordinate to Fortresses is that the latter are markets.  Market is not a question of that *having* markets in them, it is type of settlement that is what you call 'major settlements' actually are.  There are at present no political mechanics in the game at all that subordinate hillocks to fortresses and the commercial relationships are totally seperate to the political one's.  The only reason that hillocks tend to trade with fortresses is solely because they are generally close together. 

Since kobold caves are classified as markets, I have actually seen hamlets trading with kobold caves. 

I never claimed to know exactly how it will play out. I do claim to be making guesses, conjectures, whatever, in regards to them. And if it's in the dev pages, then it will be implemented in some fashion. Probably not exactly how any of us think, but it will be implemented.

Yes but you should keep this seperate from making grand prenouncements about the nature of dwarf society.

The fact they aren't implemented properly yet is the point. They're there, but not functioning in the way they could or quite possibly will be. That can lead to more than just me making these assumptions. As to the General, at least in world gen they do exist, and are always the ones to lead the dwarves offensively with the exception of what are classed as "minor raids" according to legends viewer, and even then they seem to like leading those, too.

It can be assumed mayors and lesser nobles are thus responsible fortifying their areas of the country and driving off the enemy raids, while the general attacks the country's enemies which can have the effect of drawing off enemy leaders to fight the general's army. Monarchs also often join the General in battle (which seems to be a leading cause of dead monarchs for dwarves, now that I think about it...)

It's not wrong to assume a proper political system will be put into place past just having idiots who get mad if your residents have nicer crap than them. There'd be literally no purpose for nobles to exist at all if there weren't plans to put them into place in a meaningful way at some point. Even if it isn't exactly like it, it will still greatly resemble some sort of semi-feudal or maybe con/federation (as the present game more closely has all entities resemble a confederacy or federal government than any actual monarchy,) once properly implemented. In the same vein, it'd be reasonable to assume we can eventually put all the useless little sprog in schools or apprenticeships eventually, because those systems will be more fully done next release. Would we be able to next release? My guess is "not quite yet."

What makes you say that the present arrangement isn't a "proper political system".  The only thing that is mechanically missing from the system is that player is somehow exempt from it but nobody manages to take advantage of that by piling in on the player with thousands of men. 

The implication for it is enough to make assumptions, guesses, whatever you wanna call them. They're guesses, and my reasons for them. Unlike economics, I can at least say here I have a vague idea of what may be put in place further down the line, based on what's already here, very close to being here, or was once here, such as having a dedicated Tax Collector for example.

Something akin to a feudal monarchy is meant to be represented, it just isn't fully done or requires the player to make guesses as to what purpose nobles otherwise serve besides being lazy idiots who cry about Urist McWeaponsmith having a very slightly nicer bedroom.

You cannot make confident pronouncements about how DF Society is based upon nothing but your guesses as to how it will be in the future.  Nor for that matter can you do so based upon how it was in the past. 

The function of barons is presently somewhat of a mystery.  However we can tell something about what barons do based upon the texts in the game.  Having a baron has something to do with "integration into the realm", the exact words for rejecting a baron are.

"We would rather keep our distance".

A baron is basically your settlements representative to the central goverment and conversely it's representative in your fortress.  If you have a baron you have more say in what the central goverment does but also less autonomy from the central government's decisions.  A DF baron, unlike a Feudal one is something that a settlement volunterily accepts or rejects and not something imposed on it from above by royal decree. 

Based upon this I would say the baron's eventual function would be to allow us to influence the decisions of the central goverment our our civ. 

You start with 7 random nobodies generally in the middle of nowhere. There is no local population. Not until you start building up a fortress and giving people reason to come to the general area. At present, you could feasibly have your embark party be 7 war vets who want to carve out their own little empire. They could be worthless societal rejects or refugees with literally nothing to their name. They could be a bunch of rich shitheads who have piles of starting materials. But until we have scenarios, one can easily just default to: Here's some nobodies, build a place other people will wanna live in/near. And no, you can't have ones that like eachother. But for all that, it's mostly your own Roleplay that permits that right now.

Hit Embark Now! And you get the most worthless mix of skills ever.

If the game didn't start communistic though, nothing could get done. There's no money, no services, nothing. How do you pay people with nothing to pay them with? You need to build up to that.

In the older game, it starts off communistic for this exact reason presumably. The economy (which was very heavily capitalistic, though by the sound of it not fully so,) didn't kick in until you were basically set up for the most part. Until that point, famine and dehydration is a constant danger and there was often too much work and not enough hands to get it all done. By the time the economy activated, from what I can tell the problem was more finding enough work for everyone to do.

If there hadn't been a reason behind it, it wouldn't have been included at all. It was supposed to be there, it just didn't friggen work right.

And to that last point, technically you are. Anyone else better have one of three reasons to be here, at least initially: To die (invaders) Trade (merchants and presumably eventually, local hilldwarves,) or settle (migrants.) Otherwise, move on.

Eventually though we'll have visitors who will be spending money stopping at your fort. What purpose would a purely communistic sandbox have for money? Nothing. Which means commerce is coming, which means a functioning political system will be coming as well, as civs start fighting over resources or trade routes in addition to ethics you may be expected to help support the war effort by raising continents of surrounding hilldwarves to go join the General's army or supply weapons and armor at a discount. But all of this is probably a very verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long ways off.[/spoiler]

Anyway, it's not unreasonable to assume certain things will not be implemented just so. But they will get implemented in some way, I'm sure. But as said before, I'm also guessing. Not saying I know a damn thing, because for the most part, I don't know more than a vague idea.

That there is no local population is why at the present the game CANNOT represent Feudalism, there are no lords without peasants.  The existance of a local peasant population is neccesery for Feudalism because you cannot have a house without any bricks for that house.  The situation where 7 rich people with a pile of resources turn up and wait for other people to arrive is not Feudalism but actually Capitalism, since they are trading on the legal recognition of their ownership to essentially force the other dwarves to either work for them or pay them rent. 

Feudalism depends upon a co-dependancy, the peasants are dependant upon the lords because they *are* the government and it does goverment stuff that they as a result of their lack of political/economic organisation cannot do.  As a result of this the "exchange" is an offer that the peasants basically cannot refuse, since in order to resist the imposition of Feudalism they would need to have their own goverment organisation, which would mean that the other party would not be offering them anything anyway.

I don't exactly know how I was being arrogant. Never claimed to know exactly how things were going and everything was guesswork based on stuff other people have said, some firsthand experience, and various stories. I even pointed out I was talking out of my ass earlier in the thread, and just making a bunch of guesses, and if I came off like an arrogant shithead then I do apologize because I wasn't trying to be.

In fairness though, you didn't exactly look like a paragon of wisdom or anything yourself. You came off like you were arguing for the sake of arguing, which I admit I didn't exactly help since I argued back a bit more intently than I probably should have.

And you would do well to remember just because things are all red commie flags now, it won't stay that way forever. And we're free to make our guesses and suggestions based on that.  And part of even that is perception. Some people see pure !!CAPITALISM!! waiting on the horizon for our dorfs to walk face-first into it. You see it as a vague communism simulator (yes, I'm grossly oversimplifying it,) while I see an unfinished feudal society with some capitalistic leanings in the future. And everyone has understandable reasons to make any of these assumptions, any one of which could turn out to be completely baseless even just a year or two from now.

The 'arrogance' is due to the way you tried to argue with what I was saying based upon what is concretely the case at the moment with your guesses as to how the game might be in the future; you asserted guesses to argue with facts.

Now back to the distinction between bricks (basic atomistic arrangements) and houses (complex social orders).  At the moment the bricks are Communist ones and the house in so far as it actually exists is Communist as well since all settlements are (almost) politically equal just as they are (almost) internally equal.  The thing is that Toady One did not start off by making Feudal bricks as he could have but he started off by making Communist bricks; I am not suggesting that he did this deliberately but that is what he did regardless.

That means that if you are right then what Toady One has been basically been doing is trying to build a Feudal house with Communist bricks.  This is quite possible mechanically, one could establish a setup by which hillocks took the place of peasants and the fortresses took the place of the lord & retainers.  Two Communist bricks are now yoked together into a Feudal house by which one brick takes the role of lord and the other peasant.  This would work mechanically but it is actually totally unrealistic and senseless. 

The reason comes back to the "offer that cannot be refused" I mentioned earlier.  The lord and his retainers cannot support themselves like the peasants do while the peasants cannot defend themselves due to their lack of organisation; this yokes them together into the basic building block of Feudalism.  However if we took a fortress and yoked it together with a hillocks what would happen is that we have an "offer that makes no sense and can be refused".  The reason is that both parties are not co-dependant, the hillocks are organised enough to run a government and raise a military by the fact they exist as a site goverment in the first place while the Fortress is quite capable of growing it's own food and producing a wide range of items by the fact it consists of hard working labourers for the most part. 

Think of it like this, would you rather have *your* hillocks give you plump helmets or would you rather they gave you fully equipped and trained soldiers?  Nearly every player would choose the latter option because it is far easier to grow plump helmets than it is to equip and train soldiers.  It gets worse for Feudalism in that if the hillocks presently lacks the means to provide you with troops the fortress will actually invest in militerising the hillocks so that it will provide them with the more desirable troops.  Looking at it backwards, the hillock's plump helmet harvest might fail (let's assume this mechanic is in the game) but the fortresses plump helmets may be quite healthy, so it is directly in the interests of the hillocks to invest in making sure that the fortress has the ability to farm like they do as well.

Feudalism depends upon the lords having a monopoly on force but in this case the fortress having command of the hillock's forces means that the motivation is for the fortress to arm the hill dwarves as much as they can.  Since the interest of both parties is to either transform the relationship into an egalitarian one by which both settlements simply help eachother out as required and trade things with eachother or to go their own seperate ways entirely, the Feudal house ends without a blow being struck or unkind word being said. 

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The political centrality of fortresses is actually in mechanical terms a total figment of your imagination. 

Also, of Comrad Toady's imagination:
Quote from: Toady One, DF Talk #18
there are three kinds of dwarf sites, there were the fortresses that everybody is used to, that connect the surface to the underground. Then there's the surface sites, the hill dwarf settlements, just these ... they're either carved into the sides of existing hillside slopes, or they make their own mounds if they're in a flatter area, then they just grow some gardens, above and below and hang out and drink ... all the time and live in complete squalor. And then there's the deep dwarf sites down in the caverns which will have their vast plump helmet fields, that kind of thing ... and some industry. But the fort is still supposed to be the place with all the most skilled craftsman just to kind of align it with what goes on in the game. We want to kind of keep it the most important place. We have those three kinds of dwarf sites: the hill, and the fort, and the deep sites. We want the fort to kind of be the most important site all around because that's the one that you're going to also continue to play, so all of the central dwarfy activities take place there.

This is one of those silly things he has  explicitly stated, but no guarantees!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The political centrality of fortresses is actually in mechanical terms a total figment of your imagination. 

Also, of Comrad Toady's imagination:
there are three kinds of dwarf sites, there were the fortresses that everybody is used to, that connect the surface to the underground. Then there's the surface sites, the hill dwarf settlements, just these ... they're either carved into the sides of existing hillside slopes, or they make their own mounds if they're in a flatter area, then they just grow some gardens, above and below and hang out and drink ... all the time and live in complete squalor. And then there's the deep dwarf sites down in the caverns which will have their vast plump helmet fields, that kind of thing ... and some industry. But the fort is still supposed to be the place with all the most skilled craftsman just to kind of align it with what goes on in the game. We want to kind of keep it the most important place. We have those three kinds of dwarf sites: the hill, and the fort, and the deep sites. We want the fort to kind of be the most important site all around because that's the one that you're going to also continue to play, so all of the central dwarfy activities take place there.

This is one of those silly things he has  explicitly stated, but no guarantees!

I did state IN MECHANICAL TERMS!   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did state IN MECHANICAL TERMS!   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

But comrad Cookie, in mechanichal terms, you could easily say that the fortress is almost anything. From a glorious communist state, like you imply, to a weird aztec empire simulator, where you build a pyramid and start sacrificing your young with little consequence.

We can pretend that the immigrants, and immigrant children are sacrificial lambs sent by Armok, and just throw em off a pit! Clearly, an unintentional feature that Toady ended up sticking with (since he could have easily prevented the  game from working this way), so he abandaned his idea of making the game work mechanically as a proto-medieval fantasy society and replaced it with that idea instead.

Praise the God of Blood! It hungers for the hearts of innocents.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, let's ignore that little statement over there. Having the dwarves living in the hillocks living in complete squalor, why that's ridiculous! It must be something Toady said before he abandoned that little pesky feature that made nobles lazy and made the game seem more classissist and feudal, because it implies inequality in dwarven society, and we all know comrad Toady wouldn't want to intentionally design the game that way.

Right?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But comrad Cookie, in mechanichal terms, you could easily say that the fortress is almost anything. From a glorious communist state, like you imply, to a weird aztec empire simulator, where you build a pyramid and start sacrificing your young with little consequence.

We can pretend that the immigrants, and immigrant children are sacrificial lambs sent by Armok, and just throw em off a pit! Clearly, an unintentional feature that Toady ended up sticking with (since he could have easily prevented the  game from working this way), so he abandaned his idea of making the game work mechanically as a proto-medieval fantasy society and replaced it with that idea instead.

Praise the God of Blood! It hungers for the hearts of innocents.

Can you please come up with something that actually contains less  :P  :P  and more intelligence the next time you choose to post? 

There is this little thing called CONTEXT.  That means when something is being said you have to take into account other things that are being said and what it is being said in response to.  Yes Fortresses are supposed to be more important than hillocks, this is mechanically reflected by them like human towns or goblin dark fortresses being considered markets.  In the context the mechanics in question however were mechanics of political superiority, of there being a mechanic for fortresses ruling over hillocks; there are no such mechanics in the game.  That is the context of the discussion, because whether or not there are mechanics for political rule of fortresses over hillocks is what was being discussed.

Also, let's ignore that little statement over there. Having the dwarves living in the hillocks living in complete squalor, why that's ridiculous! It must be something Toady said before he abandoned that little pesky feature that made nobles lazy and made the game seem more classissist and feudal, because it implies inequality in dwarven society, and we all know comrad Toady wouldn't want to intentionally design the game that way.

Right?

No, all that is being described here is how the sites in question generally are in the game.  Fortresses are economically central to dwarf society and they are also the site that the player plays.  This is reflected in the general mechanics for markets in the game and how they are dwarf market.  What they are not either in what Toady One is saying nor in the mechanics is political centres where a wealthy ruling elite lords it over the lowly hill and deep dwarves, extracting tribute from them to sustain their opulant lifestyle.  Every kind of society that is more advanced that cave man has some places that are central to economic life and other places that are not quite so central. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:13:48 am by GoblinCookie »

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile

I'd think toady doesn't really intend to make it a soviet simulator.  Plus, what does the title "Peasant" imply anyway? Someone who can only perform menial work until he acquires more useful skills. The lazy nobles feature was removed as a bug, wasn't it?  And did toady ever state "Nobles are no longer lazy because [reason]."

While the fortresses may not "own" the filthy hillocks, it doesn't really matter.  We still see a significant difference in quality of life here, and that's the point here.

Its pretty clear that some wealth variation is going to occur.  and if shops are a fortress thing (Which they were, and ARE in adventure mode.)  Shop keepers can probably get some significant cash if they make the right decisions.

Also, regarding the "Better Craftsmen/ harder workers get paid more."  If craftsmen ever sell anything, to shops at a reduced price or directly at full,  Their skills and hard work RESULT in more cash, rather than simply getting arbitrarily paid more because "they work harder and have skills".

Of course, I'm not so sure about everyone getting a salary anyway, since we'd have some craftsmen and merchants working at their own will, by the looks of it.  It'd make sense for dwarves that work for the government (you, Like the bone carver who carves YOUR bolts) to get paid from fortress coffers, perhaps by a salary or per product. (Therleth, lets see, you made $3,000 worth of government goods in the last month, here's your 30%.)

*Raises shield for bashing by GoblinCookie.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:57:54 am by Alfrodo »
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, a King normally ends up living in a hillocks or mountain hall because the initial fortress of the dwarf civilization is destroyed by a forgotten beast or megabeast a few years after the world is initially created.  The original King is normally killed off and a new King is crowned *in* the hillocks, rather than for instance one of the other fortresses. 

And why is this? Because the local fortress was destroyed. The same can happen if you happen to have some noble's heir in your fortress. The Count of Bookwaves was killed in a bandit raid, and suddenly you have a count you weren't expecting to have in Clutchtown half a world away. And you're stuck with this shithead unless you or someone/something else kills them. Even after you elevate one of your own.

Obviously this is a bug, and they aren't supposed to be there. Likewise, various other nobles can presumably be intended to be living either in larger hillocks, or in Fortresses.

We already have a political system, it is just not a Feudal one and one that your settlement is largely exempt from as long as you keep on playing.

There is no political system in place. However there is the signs of one meant to be implemented in the future. And eventually (a guess,) you may need to become part of the system if you want the hilldwarves you need to form your larger armies to come and set up near you. Otherwise, they may not feel safe enough to do so.

You are not better or worse or the same as a hillock when you start off.  Because a hillock is just a type of settlement, it tells us nothing about the status of the settlement and hillocks can even have barons of their own, although not brokers, managers, captains of the guard or hammerers. 

A hillocks can have all the wealth or population in the world but it is still a hillocks.

Actually, hillocks have no markets, few soldiers, and no mines. They're outlaying farms that, in my own experience, are typically run by a Mayor. The implication is clear that these sites provide for the larger ones which while deep-reaching, seem to have virtually no farms, only space to store goods, house people, and a market for people to come to buy, sell, and trade. Eventually these places may also have libraries/academies, and will have taverns next release. Reclaiming a worldgen fort will reveal massive numbers of small apartments for the rank and file alongside spacious rooms meant to store goods or possibly house the upper nobles and their family. They don't, in fact, have farms, and generally have much more soldiers than a hillock will in a healthy civ.

Starting out, your dwarves are living no better than hilldwarves, in little holes in the ground or small huts. No law, no place to drink, and unless you brought a trained soldier with you, literally no protection besides a hatch, door, or maybe a dry moat.

I have very rarely if ever, encountered "upper" nobles in hillocks of healthy civs. I'm sure some may reside out there as well, either because they gained the title from deceased family, or because their civ is taking a beating. I'm fairly sure hillocks are meant to have lesser admins though, particularly the hammerer and a local sheriff, rather than a guard captain - the Fortress Guard is just that, the FORTRESS guard. They're meant to enforce law and order in large population centers, not the little towns. The local sheriff can handle that. Granted that they don't appear to be implemented right now, otherwise hillocks and similar places would have a dedicated "jail mound," operated by the local sheriff.

Speaking of which, a jailbreak would be an interesting way to take over a site.

I do not know where you get your statistics for the 'typical player' from though

There are none. Most players seem to settle as far away from the home civ as they can, to maximize the chances of enemies coming to them rather than attacking random hillock 18 for the 10th time in a row. Players want to fight things, not be left sticking their thumb up their asses with nothing to use all their complicated goblin grinders on besides giant badgers and elf merchants. If you settle near other dwarf sites, then chances are they will be prioritized over you. This makes sense if you look at it like they're meant to be supporting the fortresses - cut off its food supply and source of recruits.

Other players have complained about this, I have complained about this (and even made a suggestion to try and counter this idleness for player controlled sites,) and the only solution I've been able to find are to ramp up the number of hostile races, and settle as far away as you can while still having some trade partners. Otherwise all you'll hear is how buttfuck nowhere hillocks x,y, and z got pillaged and people ran away from the goblins because there were few/no soldiers to protect them. And even then, the hostiles civs may prioritize killing eachother off over attacking the intended target: Us.

Hmm. I wonder who was supposed to make sure the outlying towns were protected besides the General? The local noble perhaps?

Because nothing can be accomplished until you understand what Feudalism actually means, what I am describing is Feudalism at it's simplest and most sandbox level.

I do understand what feudalism is. King grants lands to vassals who swear fealty to the king, who in turn grant land to those below them and so on. Unless there's a major threat however, a local lord is expected to be  able to enforce the law, collect due tax, and defend his land without the lords above him holding his hand. If you can't protect your lands, fail to answer your liege' call to arms, or pay what tax you may be expected to pay, you might be stripped of your land so someone more suitable may govern it instead. You are otherwise left to your own devices.

At present, all fealty goes to the Monarch only, as he/she is the one who grants land to a dwarf, with the Count, Duke, and Baron being ranks based on importance/productivity of the settlement, rather than Dukes appointing Counts, and Counts appointing Barons. Right now, admittedly, the game more closely resembles a confederacy of autonomous locations though, with nobles acting more like annoying appointed governors, as the civ as a whole only shares a common currency and manpower in times of war right now.

This last bit about being removed is obviously going to be limited to having a new one assigned at random migrate in to replace the dead one if there's no available heir. Since incompetent nobles often end up dead nobles in player-controlled sites.

That there is no local population is why at the present the game CANNOT represent Feudalism,

Not until the game is further developed to allow new hillocks to be built near your own forts (at present they will not ever build them nearby your forts as far as I can tell, only world-gen ones.)

I am not talking about settlements, I am talking about PEASANTS.  You cannot have Feudalism without peasants, it is just not possible; since there are no peasants.

Because barring scenarios, there never will be until after the fortress is established. You are the local stronghold, the local bastion of the government's influence around which other dwarves settle.

Unless peasants in the middle ages just lived in grass spread about like free-range children, they lived in settlements. For the dwarves, this means the hillocks. At present, nobody besides kobolds, tribals, and bandits live like that. Everyone else lives in their lesser or major sites/settlements, with houses/mounds/holes in the ground of varying sizes housing the populous, at least for the sane people who aren't racist against those of us who don't know how to climb.

The "dwarf caves" are tiny little indentations into the ground where the dwarf equivalent of peasants live, there would be at most 10 or so dwarves living in them. In the hypothetical Feudal DF that Toady One could have initially made but did not these peasants produce the goods without player involvement that the player, without getting his hands dirty with actual work collects to support his dwarves.  These peasants do not belong to sites, they are just there (a lot like animal people) and are essentially defenseless should a single squad of goblins or come along to torment them.  When you turn up they join your site 'in a manner of speaking' but are still beyond your control in their labours and you only really see them as a source of resources for your real dwarves (who are mostly soldiers).

Dwarves do not, even in the major fortresses, live in "caves" as you call them. They either live in little communal mounds/pits in the ground out in the smaller settlements, or in apartments big enough for a dwarf or two. Humans live much the same, though sharing houses of various sizes instead, as I'm sure you've observed.

Your fortress is mainly home to soldiers and craftsmen. Seriously. how many players have fortress composed of simple farmers? My guess is most don't. You have woodworkers, engravers, masons, craftsmen of all kinds, smiths, and soldiers, with a small number of farmers making use of the game's currently broken and unfinished farming system.

Right now you can only provide such ample supplies of food and drink without much help, is due to a combination fo fruit trees (if you don't clear cut them,) and farming/cooking being hideously broken. Or if you must say "It's supposed to be like this!" then these are broken as a convenience to the player, and that's something I can accept until the game is further developed.

Right now, the peasants are indeed just sitting there tending their fields and twiddling their thumbs because much of the needed code is not in place and never was, because these were too far off to really worry about yet since Fortress mode is always at the forefront over all else in the game. I'll address this more further down.

You cannot make confident pronouncements about how DF Society is based upon nothing but your guesses as to how it will be in the future.  Nor for that matter can you do so based upon how it was in the past. 

Yes but you should keep this seperate from making grand prenouncements about the nature of dwarf society

Actually I'm allowed to do so precisely because of that. I may be totally off the mark, but I';m still allowed to claim what direction I personally think the game is heading in, based on past, present, and possible future content. You too, are free to do so. That's why this argument is even in progress because you have your own ideas of where the game is going, though based more strictly on what is presently in place and actively part of the game while you play, as opposed to everything.

I personally find it somewhat short-sighted, but it's still completely understandable. Likewise I may be looking much too far ahead for my own good, but I also have understandable reasons for that. And I would like to say, I don't make these statements from a position of arrogcane of anything.

It's a bitch trying to maintain a level of composure during discussions like this because I'm generally a very angry person when I see poor planning or what I perceive to be an error in thinking that someone is trying to impress on others, or I feel I'm being talked down to.

Granted, on the second point, I'm doing much the same thing and it's shameful but we as humans in the real world, are prone to doing such stupid things.

The function of barons is presently somewhat of a mystery.  However we can tell something about what barons do based upon the texts in the game.  Having a baron has something to do with "integration into the realm", the exact words for rejecting a baron are.

"We would rather keep our distance from the homeland."

A baron is basically your settlements representative to the central government and conversely it's representative in your fortress.  If you have a baron you have more say in what the central government does but also less autonomy from the central government's decisions.  A DF baron, unlike a Feudal one is something that a settlement voluntarily accepts or rejects and not something imposed on it from above by royal decree. 

Based upon this I would say the baron's eventual function would be to allow us to influence the decisions of the central government our our civ. 

It's no mystery, they're intended to be a local leader, making the major decisions for the area, while the mayor takes care of hearing the common rabble and passing up anything important to them and governing in the Baron+'s absence.

By that logic, without a noble, you have next to no say in the goings on of the civ and conversely, they have no say (or obligation) to you. The Liaison specifically says they have arrived empowered to elevate your colony as an official part of the realm. Without that, we might not be allowed to raise an army of our own to go fight stuff nearby, we'd still be dependent on imports from price-gouging merchants, and nobody may want to settle nearby because for all intents and purposes, your fort is just some backwater outpost nobody else but you cares about.

Attaining the levels of prosperity needed to warrant such a thing is meant to be treated as a reward, and later on, it will be reflected as such. Otherwise they never should have been included at all, since Mayors can otherwise do the same shit but on a local level rather than influencing the whole area around the fort.

Now, how much "lording over others" you do, may be the area you're left to pick for yourself, as an additional screen may be added at a critical mass of hildwarves allowing you to set taxation, conscription, and whatever else and letting the hillocks' mayors carry out your orders.

I cannot think of a way to say this without boasting but: understand that I have a considerable knowledge of the mechanics that I am talking about from having extensively play-tested my mod.
First, good on ya for making sure your stuff worked. Second off, none of us know shit about the mechanics on shit unless we can understand the code. Which few do. I'm not one of them. They may not be intended to trade with just anyone, and that's just how it is now and might be changed later.

The only sense to which hillocks are presently subordinate to Fortresses is that the latter are markets.  Market is not a question of that *having* markets in them, it is type of settlement that is what you call 'major settlements' actually are.  There are at present no political mechanics in the game at all that subordinate hillocks to fortresses and the commercial relationships are totally seperate to the political one's.  The only reason that hillocks tend to trade with fortresses is solely because they are generally close together.

That's still a dependency. And the reason they tend to trade with Fortresses, is because they are closer, yes. Because they belong to that civ, they will naturally be closer to a fortress than a market town or dark fortress usually.

As the game gets more complex, we could very well see reports from liaisons to the effect of hillocks suffering some kind of punishment for trading with an enemy of the civ, and those that spring up near your own forts will eventually be obligated to raise troops when you want to go a conquering, though you'll probably be the one to equip them (I'd prefer we be the one to equip them anyway - world-gen troops tend to use the worst ever shit otherwise.)

The 'arrogance' is due to the way you tried to argue with what I was saying based upon what is concretely the case at the moment with your guesses as to how the game might be in the future; you asserted guesses to argue with facts.

But that doesn't mean it won't be implemented when a suitable means is there, which at present it isn't, but is getting closer than it was back in the olden times of 2D or early 3D. And you sir, likewise, have been coming off as needlessly aggressive over the interpretation of a video game. I'm not helping and I know it, but I'm too proud a chucklefuck to back down when I have sufficient reason for why I'm making these assumptions and assertions.

Right now, we as players cannot send out someone to collect due taxes, raise troops to deal with local bandits or whack the local goblins in the dick, enact mandates regarding infrastructure, or hell, even just go and fetch something. We have the active world, and groups moving about it, but we do not yet have the means to make those things happen ourselves. But we will eventually, by Toady's own admission. But ultimately, our focus is on our fortress.

Not because that's not the way the political structure is, but because we simply can't because the needed programming doesn't currently exist. This goes a long way to explain why the dirty hill people and small villages don't have many soldiers protecting them from bandits, if they have any at all. Like us, they simply can't call for help from the local fortress or less endangered towns yet. Using the Count example at the top, they should logically leave your fortress since it isn't their holding, but they don't, because right now they literally can't.

A consequence down the line of not sending troops to help surrounding communities could feasibly be vastly reduced food and drink imports or a horde of refugees you have to put up with for example. because you, as the nearest Fortress, failed to protect them as you were expected to.

I know I didn't cover everything, but I've covered enough. This argument is going to continue until one of us takes our ball and fucks off, and as infuriated over this whole debacle as I am, I'm not likely to back down.

Also, Ribs is choosing mockery for the precise fact that you're arguing somewhat more aggressively than I am. Personally, I'm about ready to make a little comic with two dudes labeled GoblinCookie and Splint beating the shit out of eachother with signs and telling eachother to eat a dick and reinitiate the sign-fight when one doesn't concede.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Starting to get where I'm comming from, eh comrad Splint? If I didn't make fun of this situation, I would have given up at this point.

Quote from:  DF Talk, #20

Rainseeker:   So let's recall what the purpose of the other dwarven sites are. The hill dwarves are supposed to supplement your kingdom, so to speak, correct?

Toady:   Yeah, yeah, they function ... or they will function, see there's an issue now with just how much you can do in fortress mode with hill dwarf settlements because they're not your hill dwarf settlements yet, we don't have that linkage tightly established yet, but it will be. Then that will give you a much higher number of dwarves to work with, though they can't all be on screen. Because the whole issue is if you want to have a strategic impact on the world and have a political impact on the world you just need a bunch of warm, fat, drunk bodies to get that business done, and you can't do that with two hundred dwarves. But you can't have a thousand, two thousand dwarves running around on screen or the game will ... not run. So you've got hill dwarves to supplement things, or to form like the bulk of your military for example, of your unskilled military. Your dwarves will still be like the equivalent of your, say, knights or whatever and your sergeants, your leaders.. for your military; they'll be the ones that know what they're doing. And then you'll have a bunch of drunks.

Capntastic:   So the hill dwarves are basically a conduit for your fortress to interact with the rest of the world?

Toady:   Yeah, yeah, at least in that way ... I think there will be places for your dwarves to also have direct impact, but when it comes to military stuff, and certain trade things, you're going to have to act through intermediate sites just because of the sheer numbers behind it. The deep sites are ... they act in a similar fashion for underground business, but they're also ... we haven't really planned that exactly how strange they're going to be, but they supplement your food, that kind of thing, if you don't want to farm, you can trade with them.

There. From the horse's mouth. This is how the relationship between hillocks and fortresses will be like.

I'm a simple man. I can only predict how the game will work from what the developers tell me. You, on the other hand, possess the amazing insight of predicting the development of the game and the intent of the creators (figuring out what is an obsolete feature and what isn't, etc.) by consulting your deep inside knolwedge of the game that you aquired by messing with the raw files (something that only the most intelligent of us could even consider attempting).

Not being a talented hacker like you, all I can do is quote the developer's comments on the subject. But I'm sure that you'll keep enlightening us with your keen grasp of the game's mechanics.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, trade isn't quite the tithes/taxes thing, but still. Close enough.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14