Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: How far could you take technology if reduced to a primitive situation?  (Read 7619 times)

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has nobody in this thread realized that if a population of humans which sleeps naked under fruit trees exists, then it follows the climate is exceedingly mild, food is perpetually at hand, and the only thing worth inventing is musical instruments, wine and soap?

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has nobody in this thread realized that if a population of humans which sleeps naked under fruit trees exists, then it follows the climate is exceedingly mild, food is perpetually at hand, and the only thing worth inventing is musical instruments, wine and soap?

Firstly, this is Bay12. Saying that something isn't worth inventing is reason enough to invent it.

Second, who said there is a population of humans sleeping naked under fruit trees? This would make an excellent starting scenario for the Bay12-population-rule-the-Earth scenario. More time to get the centrifuges working!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile

Everybody knows, but then, we would never have beer and Dwarf Fortress.
In a time before time, I had a name.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

:v and that kind of living only works if the population doesnt number above a hundred or so. If you want to live in anything but a village, you need to start thinking about waste disposal, security, medicine, food from means other then just foraging, etc. Plus, even in extremely mild climate, you need some sort of shelter from rain, something better then just trees, at least. Also clothes are always a plus.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Page one. But its derailed into how far Bay12 would go if dropped in the dirt on another planet. I know how far I'd go. Very far. Into the woods. Away.

Temp, the existence of a population of humans living in these idyllic conditions means they are sufficiently sheltered, secure and fed, just wandering from fruit grove to bush day after day. And clothes? I'd rather have soap. Better to improve upon a good thing than ruin it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

You say "humans" but all I hear is "elves".

You've still got to worry about predators and times of scarcity.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In all fairness, with a pointy stick a human can keep most predators at bay. Some of it is a learned fear of humans, but still. If you can manage to keep the stick sharp, in one piece, and pointed at the predator, not much will happen. Things the size of or larger of a bear might take multiple people carrying sticks, but that's really all the defense you need.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

If it's that warm, then there is an immense need to discover sailing, steam engines, and whatever the fuck else I can get to leave that hell. 25*C is my hard upper tolerance boundary.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I think you'd all die horribly if you were dumped at a primitive society. Even if said primitive society didn't decide to turn you into lunch.

Barring that guy from Life Advice who hiked across Syberia, if he is posting here. I think that one has a shot. But the rest of you? You're walking dinner for the resident apex predators, assuming the parasites dont get you first.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dwarf McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Boy Scout and archery instructor here. I could make a bunch of bows starting with nothing but trees and sinew (we may have to butcher a few slow-moving herd animals first) and go from there. I may not have as much knowledge about advanced electronics as some people in this thread, but I could definitely get up to Industrial-era technology.

We're assuming that we've been dropped next to a native tribe, yes? The salient point, then, is what kind of natives? Are we talking about Caucausoids or Mongoloids post-admixture with Neanderthals, or Negroids?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: How far could you take technology if reduced to a primitive situation?
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2015, 04:21:46 pm »

Dammit, reading all of this stuff just makes me want to go out and try doing some of this stuff by hand. Sadly, I'd probably kill myself somehow in the process.

Someday when I have money I want to buy a patch of land and try shit like this, building a Roman road using historical techniques, blacksmithing, shit like that...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2015, 06:44:40 pm »

We're assuming that we've been dropped next to a native tribe, yes?

I was thinking post-apocalypse
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2015, 06:46:29 pm »

I was too.  Shit goes to hell, modern infrastructure becomes unmanagable because "reasons"-- LARGE portion of population dies from lack of social infrastructure, making those remaining holdouts impossible to sustain--

About 100 years later.

Boom, setting.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2015, 07:45:02 pm »

I'd say pottery would be the central industry. You can now build vessels for storing food and water and cookware that opens up many cooking techniques. Clay tablets are ideal for a written culture. As you make hotter kilns glazing, bricks, glass and metallurgy become possible.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2015, 03:55:19 am »

In all fairness, with a pointy stick a human can keep most predators at bay. Some of it is a learned fear of humans, but still. If you can manage to keep the stick sharp, in one piece, and pointed at the predator, not much will happen. Things the size of or larger of a bear might take multiple people carrying sticks, but that's really all the defense you need.
As long as you keep a fire going at night and your watchmen stay alert. There's also illness/injury and childbirth complications.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]