Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the actual deal with criminals?  (Read 4299 times)

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
What is the actual deal with criminals?
« on: June 14, 2015, 01:59:03 am »

I've done my research and no one seems to actually know where the criminals are. The one I'm looking for is in an actual town with a keep and everything, and some people on the forums have said they'd be in the catacombs. Searched all of it, only found one guy. Killed him, checked legends. No connection to the syndicate. Killed the lady in the keep as some people said. No connection. When I ask people about her (know who she is only because I went and checked legends) they just reply with "She is the commander." Does anyone actually know how the crime syndicate system works? The wiki seems to be completely useless on the topic.
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What is the actual deal with criminals?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:43:42 am »

It's kinda wonky right now sadly, hard to catch something at the point where they're criminals and not the local rulers, and it's hard to get a reliable response when you do find/kill said criminals.

If you get lucky you might find a bandit group that just recently took over a town and sometimes when you tell people about killing them you'll hear "that's great, it's done" or something along those lines, but once they start making friends with people you end up getting spit at and having to wipe out the whole town before murderhoboing off somewhere else.

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:55:00 pm »

Do you know if any of the other questing features are decently fixed?
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:57:53 pm »

Well... vampires kinda work.  And you can totally kill random animals and maybe some random titans.  Werethings are sort of a letdown when they're just naked peasants in a hole, though.

... Really, I wouldn't consider Adventurer Mode so much a game as a sandbox construction zone at this point. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 10:29:10 pm »

Saving kids, hunting monsters, wearing their bones and bragging about it to various people you meet.

That's a big part of why I started the wanderlust thing, making the semi/megabeasts tougher, having them show up in different sites besides just a hole in the ground, being able to upgrade your gear if you survive, the whole gather-all-the-hearts to become a godstomper thing kinda works out as a quest-root. It's more interesting when you find people who have things to say about them, a refugee from a hamlet that was taken over by a dragon pretending to be a god, someone with family that was torn apart by a hydra, makes it more satisfying when you tell them and instead of them being like "oh, ok" they'll tell you that they're so glad it is done, tell others about you, and so on.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 11:36:01 pm »

Saving kids requires that the goblin towers not be bugged.

(Or in the case of worlds like mine, to still exist.  I made my megabeasts a little too numerous, and all my goblins went extinct by year 4.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 07:18:31 am »

Well... vampires kinda work. 

If i remember well (as i went back to 34.11 in which it works), it's more bugged than kinda working.

When you reveal a vampire in df2014, none around give a care (hell, they have no care for anything, out of saving kids that seems the only way to have an actual caring answer), even the vampire don't care of you revealing his true identity.

And if you dare kill that monster (and you will be alone, as none else around care even those witnessing the vampire acknowledging he is one), everyone that was under the threat of being drained dead anytime by him will scream "you're a murderer" and spit at you instead of being happy they will not die from the blood sucker inevitably at some point of their life in that town/village/hamlet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 08:14:04 am »

Saving kids requires that the goblin towers not be bugged.

(Or in the case of worlds like mine, to still exist.  I made my megabeasts a little too numerous, and all my goblins went extinct by year 4.)
Yeah, I cut their populations down, 100~1000 gobs and no trolls is so much nicer than 1000~10000 gobs+a billion trolls.

Oh god I was looking for an image I have of an elf trying to hit me with the body of his dead queen (which I had traded to him) and found something oddly appropriate for this thread regarding vampires.

See the problem there yet?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's like he got so caught up in pretending to be an innocent civilian he forgot they can't chill out on the bottom of a river like it was nothing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hee hee.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:48:36 am by Max™ »

Remuluson

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:EDITING_TOO_MUCH:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 09:03:59 am »

Max you said something about weapon upgrades. What is that? ???
[ETHICS:FEAR_SOCKMASTRERS:REQUIRED]
[ETHICS:HAVING_TOO_MUCH_ETHICS:REQUIRED]

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 12:02:52 pm »

If i remember well (as i went back to 34.11 in which it works), it's more bugged than kinda working.

When you reveal a vampire in df2014, none around give a care (hell, they have no care for anything, out of saving kids that seems the only way to have an actual caring answer), even the vampire don't care of you revealing his true identity.

And if you dare kill that monster (and you will be alone, as none else around care even those witnessing the vampire acknowledging he is one), everyone that was under the threat of being drained dead anytime by him will scream "you're a murderer" and spit at you instead of being happy they will not die from the blood sucker inevitably at some point of their life in that town/village/hamlet.
my guess is its' like how vampires being revealed when you're an outsider and how aggro works in DF.

so I think Aggro is tied to a few flags one being if their wild beings, and if their faction hates you. so Vampires once revealed lose their Civ identity and what not and become wild, but because in 40.xx added more Civ identifiers the old vampire remove Civ ID to turn wild hostile doesn't check leading to them to act as normal.

also factions are currently getting into Wars/incursions with each other and one Criminal to one faction might not matter, if one faction beats out the other then the other faction criminal records are removed from field.
so pretty much all world gen based crimes are nonexistent so you really need to catch the vampire draining someone alive before you get the right to murder them, this also really hard to do with bandits as they don't harm people enough to cause aggro some how stealing doesn't do that and the people who they steal from aren't stored in history so they would have no way of remembering oh hey I should care about this since I'm an non historical entity and my faction site keeps being taken over.
wonder this was the case so NPCs don't go on a massive loyalty cascade from someone trying to overthrow power and flooding legends mode with millions of peasant riot attacks.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 03:56:35 pm »

Vamps seem to work fine for me, though criminals its worth checking legends to make sure you have the right group, and trying to tell people about the group to find out their name. Probably can use the Q screen too somehow. Criminals are quite broken. Kobold and bandit relations are weird, never attack bandits unless they go for you first, if you want people to like you.
One wheel short of a wagon

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 04:30:15 pm »

Max you said something about weapon upgrades. What is that? ???
Getting better stuff, I made various creatures have better materials, copper equivalent bones, iron~bronze equivalent, and steel+ equivalent for dragons and hydras. Should you be able to kill them (no longer a case of "whack it in the head and it dies" for steel boned dragons) and don't die afterwards (yay I won, Oh god I'm melting alive!) you can carve it up into armor and toys.

Remuluson

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:EDITING_TOO_MUCH:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 11:44:03 am »

O.O that is amazing! ^o^

Teach me sanpai! (cuz at mine point DF adventure mode is just mainly boring)
[ETHICS:FEAR_SOCKMASTRERS:REQUIRED]
[ETHICS:HAVING_TOO_MUCH_ETHICS:REQUIRED]

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 12:12:16 pm »

I have not had any problems with vampires. Except once when I killed a vamp who was a lord, and the entire keep turned on me, so I killed them all, then another vamp moved in and I killed him, then finally a nonvamp moved in and they thought I was pretty cool, and they were all very friendly. If you want to run around complaining, do email toady, he usually replies.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 12:42:46 pm »

It's part of a whole big list of problems regarding the npc reactions in df2014 , that are all collected into a "Morale is screwy across all modes" bug report and Toady knows already if you follow that bug report entry, no need to email him about it :
[...]Vampires hate you when outed, but there isn't enough there to really start a fight (like everybody around them thinking of them as a monster and them understanding that they are now thought of that way, etc.). I'll have to work on that later, but it's a bit much to bite off today.
Pages: [1] 2